Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 22nd Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 880Posts
    • 5,122Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Lost in a good book? What are you reading?
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    Lost in a good book? What are you reading? 22nd Apr 17 at 8:30 PM
    Quite simple, probably been done or tried before...
    MSE Readers' Club

What are you currently reading?

Favourite authors and genres etc

A wee place to talk about books...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Page 7
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 2nd Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 26,000 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Reading Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. I've really enjoyed it! He seems to have the technicalities of the MET's working practices accurately portrayed and the fantasy element too has been well thought through.
    Originally posted by Senseicads
    I’ve read the first one and will probably give the rest a go.

I can also recommend the Jodi Taylor “Chronicles of St Mary’s” books, which are best described as Time-travel-historical-romantic-adventure-comedies.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 2nd Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 26,000 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Larsson's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books (and the films) are discussed on the first page of this thread.

One poster said the 4th book - written after Larsson's death - is 'pants'.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Well I still want to give it a try, and iím enjoying re-reading books 1-3, which I last read about 5 years ago.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 2nd Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 26,000 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Someone mentioned Neil Gaiman - I follow him on twitter and he was describing how he always signs his books when he finds them in shops. At the weekend he signed all the copies of his latest book that he could find in Heathrow Terminal 3.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 2nd Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames
    Someone mentioned Neil Gaiman - I follow him on twitter and he was describing how he always signs his books when he finds them in shops. At the weekend he signed all the copies of his latest book that he could find in Heathrow Terminal 3.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I'm fairly new to Gaiman. I want to read the Sandman series but even the cheapest way of getting the full series is eye watering. I've been collecting £2 coins for it for months, I'm approaching halfway now. Hopefully by early next year...

I've only read four and a half of his books (the half being Good Omens) but I loved them all.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 6th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I went to the library at lunchtime and picked up two books.
    The first about genealogy, the second a Pam Ayres poetry book.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,033 Thanks
    beanielou
    Just finished Blue by John Sutherland.
    About his time in the police.
    Excellent.
    Eye opening.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 9th Oct 17, 12:03 AM
    • 10,328 Posts
    • 19,034 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Just finished Back to the Boy by James Arthur. Massive eye opener- was so very sad, he’s had a hard time.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Reading Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. I've really enjoyed it! He seems to have the technicalities of the MET's working practices accurately portrayed and the fantasy element too has been well thought through.
    Originally posted by Senseicads
    This series is on my list... been recommended a few times now

Anyone watching the Philip K D i c k 'Electric Dreams' series on C4 Sunday night?

I've got it on record, we've only seen the first one so far (The Hood Maker)..
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    YES! 'tis most excellent indeed
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 9th Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I've also considered the Rivers of London a few times.
    I also watched the original Blade Runner at the weekend so Electric Sheep is on my list too.

Right now I'm mainly reading The Stand (Stephen King) and very much enjoying it.

At the start of the year I decided to make a start on the King novels. I always meant to get around to it but I realized what with the length of the books and the fact that he's still writing, I'm running out of lifespan.
    So every third book this year is a King and now I'm following a Dark Tower book order plan someone posted on Reddit.

Also, continuing through into tomorrow, I'm powering through The Things We Wish Were True (Marybeth Whalen) for a book club.
    I left this to the last minute and so far it's not my kind of thing at all. I haven't read the book description and I still have a third of it to go but so far it seems like a Debbie Macomber to me.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Oct 17, 11:30 PM
    • 18,560 Posts
    • 47,777 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've also considered the Rivers of London a few times.
    I also watched the original Blade Runner at the weekend so Electric Sheep is on my list too.

Right now I'm mainly reading The Stand (Stephen King) and very much enjoying it.

At the start of the year I decided to make a start on the King novels. I always meant to get around to it but I realized what with the length of the books and the fact that he's still writing, I'm running out of lifespan.
    So every third book this year is a King and now I'm following a Dark Tower book order plan someone posted on Reddit.

Also, continuing through into tomorrow, I'm powering through The Things We Wish Were True (Marybeth Whalen) for a book club.
    I left this to the last minute and so far it's not my kind of thing at all. I haven't read the book description and I still have a third of it to go but so far it seems like a Debbie Macomber to me.
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel
    I read this many years ago and have reread it several times.
    I have a great hardback copy from a charity shop.

I've read a lot (if not all) of King's earlier books and some of his later ones.
    Favourites are Carrie, The Shining, Christine, The Dead Zone, Salem's Lot & Misery (all much better than the films).

I have a good copy of The Talisman that I also read years ago, not got round to reading it again yet.

I also enjoy his short stories.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 9th Oct 17, 11:44 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I love the Talisman! I read that when it first came out and several times since but apart from The Shining and Insomnia (also when they first came out), I've ready barely anything and it's time to fix that!

Salem's Lot was definitely one of the highlights this year but IT just didn't do it for me. I liked it but I didn't love it. The new movie didn't make much of an impact on me either.

Looking forward to the others you mentioned but since I'm only a third of the way through The Stand (and that's with the whispersynced audiobook too), it'll be a while yet!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 18,560 Posts
    • 47,777 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I love the Talisman! I read that when it first came out and several times since but apart from The Shining and Insomnia (also when they first came out), I've ready barely anything and it's time to fix that!

Salem's Lot was definitely one of the highlights this year but IT just didn't do it for me. I liked it but I didn't love it. The new movie didn't make much of an impact on me either.

Looking forward to the others you mentioned but since I'm only a third of the way through The Stand (and that's with the whispersynced audiobook too), it'll be a while yet!
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel
    Other recommendations although not 'true' horror are Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.
    I also enjoyed The Langoliers which was a novella, made into a TV film.
    Someone was telling me that Gerald's Game is now a film.
    Quite enjoyed Needful Things too.
    IT didn't do it for me either, neither did The Lawnmower Man.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Nov 17, 8:51 AM
    • 880 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Have completed all of Jo Nesbo's books now... cracking read

Currently reading The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams and thoroughly enjoying it, so I now have a new series to read through
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 4th Nov 17, 9:02 AM
    • 23,104 Posts
    • 59,811 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I eventually gave The Goldfinch* another try and I am lost in it!

A real tome, which means I'm neither reading the paper or doing the ironing.

*by Donna Tartt
    Last edited by pollypenny; 04-11-2017 at 5:50 PM. Reason: Damn autocorrect
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Ames
    • By Ames 4th Nov 17, 10:53 PM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames
    Have completed all of Jo Nesbo's books now... cracking read

Currently reading The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams and thoroughly enjoying it, so I now have a new series to read through
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Tad Williams is my favourite living author, I love the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. He's just started a sequel series - the first book and novella both came out earlier this year, with two more books and a novella to come. George RR Martin has cited M,S&T as a big influence on A Song of Ice and Fire, and you can really see it.

I've recently read His Bloody Project by Graham Mcrae Burnet - what a crock of carp that was and Frog Music by Emma Donoghue which was ok but not as good as the previous three of hers I've read.

I'm now reading The Polar Bear Explorers' Club by Alex Bell which is ok but so far borrowing far too much from the His Dark Materials trilogy.
    Save

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Nov 17, 12:20 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Tad Williams is my favourite living author, I love the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. He's just started a sequel series - the first book and novella both came out earlier this year, with two more books and a novella to come. George RR Martin has cited M,S&T as a big influence on A Song of Ice and Fire, and you can really see it.

I've recently read His Bloody Project by Graham Mcrae Burnet - what a crock of carp that was and Frog Music by Emma Donoghue which was ok but not as good as the previous three of hers I've read.

I'm now reading The Polar Bear Explorers' Club by Alex Bell which is ok but so far borrowing far too much from the His Dark Materials trilogy.
    Save
    Originally posted by Ames
    Thanks
    BIG fan of Tad Williams, although I am fairly new to his work.
    Picked up his first Otherland book in a charity shop for something to read by an author I'd not tried before and BOOM... hooked...
    Currently hunting for anything I can find by him in secondhand bookshops and charity shops.
    Loving The Dragonbone Chair and yes, I can see how GRR Martin could be influenced by it.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 10th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames
    Thanks
    BIG fan of Tad Williams, although I am fairly new to his work.
    Picked up his first Otherland book in a charity shop for something to read by an author I'd not tried before and BOOM... hooked...
    Currently hunting for anything I can find by him in secondhand bookshops and charity shops.
    Loving The Dragonbone Chair and yes, I can see how GRR Martin could be influenced by it.
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Otherland is amazing. I only realised a couple of years ago that the basic premise is actually being investigated by scientist (I don't want to say too much in case I spoil it).

Interestingly it sold really well in Germany, where it was marketed as literature, unlike the rest of the world where it was marketed as sci-fi.
    Save

• onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 10th Nov 17, 1:38 PM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 26,000 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I'm also a Stephen King fan - currently listening to IT on audio and it really is extremely good.

I remember liking Tad Williams - but these days I think he's a bit derivative and there are modern fantasy authors who are much better (e.g. Joe Abercrombie). I think I tried Otherland but just didn't get into it.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    • 23,104 Posts
    • 59,811 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I eventually gave The Goldfinch* another try and I am lost in it!

A real tome, which means I'm neither reading the paper or doing the ironing.

*by Donna Tartt
    Originally posted by pollypenny

Quoting myself to save time.

The Goldfinch became somewhat plodding, with too much 'philosophy' imbedded. Donna Tartt is no Pasternak. It might much a good film with judicious pruning, though.

Reading The Thirst, Jo Nesbo now. As good as we'd expect!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Ames
    • By Ames 10th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames
    I'm also a Stephen King fan - currently listening to IT on audio and it really is extremely good.

I remember liking Tad Williams - but these days I think he's a bit derivative and there are modern fantasy authors who are much better (e.g. Joe Abercrombie). I think I tried Otherland but just didn't get into it.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    His new/follow up series is a lot more 'modern', in particular its not as clear cut who's good and who's bad. I do think his influence on modern fantasy is underestimated.

I've recently read Pyramids by Terry Pratchett. I first read it when I was 13/14 and didn't like it, I understood it a lot more this time and really enjoyed it.

I'm about halfway through The Plague Charmer by Karen Maitland which I'm enoying. I've yet to read a bad book by her.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

2,071Users online

Martin's Twitter