Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 22nd Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 712Posts
    • 3,355Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Lost in a good book? What are you reading?
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    Lost in a good book? What are you reading? 22nd Apr 17 at 8:30 PM
    Quite simple, probably been done or tried before...
    MSE Readers' Club

What are you currently reading?

Favourite authors and genres etc

A wee place to talk about books...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Page 6
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 4th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 7,882 Posts
    • 13,309 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    I'm currently reading The Spider and the Fly by Claudia Rowe.

True crime, but very well written; I first heard of it on a podcast then went and got the book.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 4th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    Just started Dune by Frank Herbert.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 3,355 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    DUNE is a classic, love it

I am still reading my way through JO NESBO's books
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 4th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 13,516 Posts
    • 25,721 Thanks
    onlyroz
    DUNE is a classic, love it

I am still reading my way through JO NESBO's books
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    I read the first Jo Nesbo and thought it was OK. I've started the second. I've heard that they get really good from the third.

On audio I've just finished Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters. It had far more sex in than Fingersmith, and the plot was a bit meandering, but I enjoyed it well enough.

I've just started Dombey and Son on audio, by Dickens. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's good so far. I finished Bleak House recently, and that was good but I kept getting distracted and having to backtrack chapters.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    • 18,637 Posts
    • 42,828 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I've had a bit of a run on books lately (travelling far too much for work)

Last week I read 'The Winter People' by Jennifer McMahon.
    Followed by 'The Couple Next Door' by Shari Lapena.
    Now I'm on 'I See You' by Clare Mackintosh

I do like a bit of a thriller. Although I don't recommend 'I See You' if you travel by tube!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 5th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 3,355 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I read the first Jo Nesbo and thought it was OK. I've started the second. I've heard that they get really good from the third.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    The Harry Hole series is excellent and yes they do seem to get better as they go on...
    I'm currently about 60% through The Redbreast and it's superb
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 30th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 3,355 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I'm now on the most recent Jo Nesbo "The Thirst" and it is really good

Sorry, I been away from this wee bit of the forums for a while but I'm back now...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 1st Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 16,353 Posts
    • 28,640 Thanks
    Ames
    I can't remember how many of the Harry Hole books I read, two or three I think. I liked them and meant to carry on with the series but other books got in the way.

I've just finished In The Name Of The Family by Sarah Dunant. It's the second in a two parter about the Borgias and is fantastic, as are all her books. Meticulously researched and she evokes the time and places beautifully. The only problem is every few pages I was reaching for my phone to read more about a person or castle or city.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 1st Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 22,632 Posts
    • 58,178 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I'm reading Jeffrey Deaver's The Burning Wire at the moment. It's one of his Lincoln Rhyme novels, very complicated plots, with twist after twist when you think it's been cracked.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 18,051 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm reading Jeffrey Deaver's The Burning Wire at the moment. It's one of his Lincoln Rhyme novels, very complicated plots, with twist after twist when you think it's been cracked.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I've got The Steel Kiss in my holiday reading pile.
    JD's a really clever writer and one of my 'go to' authors for holiday reading.

I'm reading Thursday's Child by Nicci French.
    I passed Blue Monday on to my sister and it's started her reading again.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 1st Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 12,606 Posts
    • 48,184 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I went right off Jeffrey Deaver, I can't remember why. Maybe I should try again. I did used to enjoy his early books but something made me stop reading him
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 18,051 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I went right off Jeffrey Deaver, I can't remember why. Maybe I should try again. I did used to enjoy his early books but something made me stop reading him
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    I didn't enjoy 'Speaking in Tongues', A Maiden's Grave' and 'The Lesson of her Death' as much as most of his other books.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 1st Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 18,888 Posts
    • 82,923 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I've got The Steel Kiss in my holiday reading pile.
    JD's a really clever writer and one of my 'go to' authors for holiday reading.

I'm reading Thursday's Child by Nicci French.
    I passed Blue Monday on to my sister and it's started her reading again.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I'm currently reading Blue Monday. Written by a husband and wife team, I believe. Have enjoyed it so far
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 18,051 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm currently reading Blue Monday. Written by a husband and wife team, I believe. Have enjoyed it so far
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    Yes, she's Nicci Gerrard and he's Sean French.
    I think that's the first in the Frieda Klein series.

Several of their books have been made into TV dramas:
    What to do when someone dies (with Anna Friel)
    Secret Smile (David Tennant/Claire Goose)
    Beneath the Skin (Daniel Mays)
    And possibly more.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 01-10-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 1st Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 22,632 Posts
    • 58,178 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I ration myself with thrillers! One thriller alternately with 'literature'.

Love Nicci French, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 1st Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 13,516 Posts
    • 25,721 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I’m re-reading the Lisbeth Salander books, which are excellent - because I want to try the new ones, written after the death of Steig Larsson.

I finished Dombey and Son on audio - I enjoyed it but it wasn’t a patch on Bleak House - and the main character Florence was pretty annoying - another one of Dickens’ perfect heroines.

I’m also listening to Middlemarch on audio. It took a while to get going, and not that much actually happens, but I am enjoying it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 18,051 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I’m re-reading the Lisbeth Salander books, which are excellent - because I want to try the new ones, written after the death of Steig Larsson.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Larsson's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books (and the films) are discussed on the first page of this thread.

One poster said the 4th book - written after Larsson's death - is 'pants'.
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 2nd Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Senseicads
    Reading Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. I've really enjoyed it! He seems to have the technicalities of the MET's working practices accurately portrayed and the fantasy element too has been well thought through.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 2nd Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 16,353 Posts
    • 28,640 Thanks
    Ames
    Reading Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. I've really enjoyed it! He seems to have the technicalities of the MET's working practices accurately portrayed and the fantasy element too has been well thought through.
    Originally posted by Senseicads
    The whole series is fantastic, it's up to book six (plus a novella) and it hasn't gone stale yet, unlike a lot of series. I saw Ben Aaronovitch at a Q&A and book signing last week he was great, really funny and constantly dropping fantasy references. He's easily in my top 5 living writers.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Oct 17, 3:47 PM
    • 18,051 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thank you Polly Cat
    Philip K !!!! is SUPERB
    Love The Man in The High Castle, the TV series is not so good though some excellent casting but they should have stuck to the story...
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Anyone watching the Philip K D i c k 'Electric Dreams' series on C4 Sunday night?

I've got it on record, we've only seen the first one so far (The Hood Maker)..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

6,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin