Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chelsea Blue
    • By Chelsea Blue 22nd Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Chelsea Blue
    Dropped Kerb Application - Refused
    • 22nd Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    Dropped Kerb Application - Refused 22nd Apr 17 at 6:47 PM
    Fed up with our car being hit outside our home due to a lack of passing places and us having the only shared double dropped kerb(open space), which people poorly attempt to use as a pull in for passing.

We live on quiet residential cul de sac, with around 100 homes. The road has a blind bend, which is where we live and I applied to our local council to extend the dropped kerb so we can open up our front garden to park our car.
    I thought this would be a good idea as it will also help the traffic flow by ensuring there is enough room for a pull in area ( double to a triple dropped kerb). It does not affect the current parking arrangements as we currently share, with our neighbours, a parking space which is only really big enough for 1.5 cars. We park over our dropped kerb to park there.

When cars meet they either attempt to pull in to the existing double drop kerb space or the other car ends up driving on the pavement on the other side of the road to pass, which is obviously illegal and dangerous.

Went for a walk earlier today to find other properties have been allowed to create exactly what we are proposing further down the development.

How would you tackle the council on this one? What evidence would I need? I have a week to respond.

Thanks in advance for reading
Page 1
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 22nd Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 22nd Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    • 22nd Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    What reason did they give for refusal that's the key bit of information?
    • Chelsea Blue
    • By Chelsea Blue 22nd Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Chelsea Blue
    • 22nd Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    • 22nd Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    Because the crossing would now exceed 2.5 metres and this would have a detrimental effect on other road user's ability to park on the street.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 22nd Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    Because the crossing would now exceed 2.5 metres and this would have a detrimental effect on other road user's ability to park on the street.
    Originally posted by Chelsea Blue
    Perhaps your local councillor can help you.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 22nd Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    Why don't you park on the drive?
    • Chelsea Blue
    • By Chelsea Blue 23rd Apr 17, 10:55 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Chelsea Blue
    • 23rd Apr 17, 10:55 AM
    • 23rd Apr 17, 10:55 AM
    Why don't you park on the drive?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    We do use our drive. We have two cars.
    Trying to get our other car off the road to prevent further damage due to peoples inability to avoid parked cars.
    Driving standards have certainly dropped and nobody ever admits to causing damage!!
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 23rd Apr 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 23rd Apr 17, 12:29 PM
    • 23rd Apr 17, 12:29 PM
    Evidence you may wish to consider:

1. Photographs of the properties nearby that have been given permission for the same change you want. If there are already precendents surely you should be allowed the same?

2. A list of dates showing when your car has been hit due the current arrangement, with supporting papers from your insurance company.

I agree with the point above about getting one of your local councillors involved. Around here we have 3, one of whom is standing for re-election in May, so bear this in mind.
    Last edited by Annie1960; 23-04-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    • Chelsea Blue
    • By Chelsea Blue 26th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Chelsea Blue
    • 26th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    • 26th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    Some good news, I hope!

After submitting an email outlining again, the reasons for the application along with supporting photo's etc, the council have now agreed to re examine the file.
    I have also proposed an onsite meeting to further discuss the issue.
    I will be keeping my local Councillor on the back burner for the time being.
    Thanks for the advice.
    • Chelsea Blue
    • By Chelsea Blue 10th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Chelsea Blue
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    Just a quick update.

The council finally agreed to the installation of the dropped after witnessing cars driving on the pavement opposite.
    They sent out an officer from the highways department and as luck would have it, he saw exactly the problem. His timing was perfect!!
    The very next day a letter of approval arrived. Happy days

Thanks for the advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,258Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin