Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tortoiseshellcat
    • By tortoiseshellcat 22nd Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 255Posts
    • 69Thanks
    tortoiseshellcat
    Where in SE to buy for 190,000
    • 22nd Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    Where in SE to buy for 190,000 22nd Apr 17 at 4:06 PM
    My son has been saving as he wants to buy his first property, he has seen a a mortgage adviser and has been told that with his deposit he can afford 190,000. The thing is I know where we live in Surrey he isn't really going to get anything for that. He is a bit flexible as his work is not based In one particular place so is kind of looking for somewhere within reasonable distance of the M25 (probably junctions 4/5/6/7/8/9.) he Is prepared to travel out away from the motorway.
    He's looking for a 1 or 2 bedroomed house or flat but not in a horrible area. I just wondered is this a realistic amount for a property in this kind of area. Are there any nice areas where he will be able to afford to buy?
    Thanks in advance that someone might have some useful suggestions.
Page 3
    • Lau0707
    • By Lau0707 25th Apr 17, 10:54 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Lau0707
    Hiya, We live in Kent and to be honest, I wouldn't move to Medway. We live 15 minute drive away, and I dread going haha. But, unfortuntately only way we can get onto the ladder is by a help to buy scheme, and we feel like we're having to move out our town/county all together because we cannot afford the 240k they ask for. We rent and have 3 children, so moving back home isn't really an option. However we have been told we can move back if we reserve a plot and focus 10 months on the savings rent free. Margate, Thanet is cheaper, but then again is really out of the way. x
    • LadyL2013
    • By LadyL2013 26th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    LadyL2013
    I really think Medway is getting an unfair reputation here. Rochester is mainly all nice, the Lordswood/Walderslade area of Chatham is decent too and Rainham is great. Strood towards Higham is good too. Certainly the Gillingham town centre area is rough as is Luton Road of Chatham and the Darnley Road area of Strood, but other than that, everywhere else is fine or good. Medway has seen a massive influx of commuters and so there has been a lot of money coming into the area (hence the gentrification of Rochester High Street).

How do people feel about Gravesend?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 26th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 8,582 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Originally posted by LadyL2013
    I'm tempted by the new Dessert bar just opened on the corner as you come in to the town centre from Higham direction.

The newly refurbished clocktower looks nice.

Seriously though, I tend to agree with you that with one or two exceptions, most parts of most of these areas are broadly similar.

However, with the OP's Son's budget, he will be looking only at flats, and some of these areas have lots of good flats that are either interesting (period properties, water-side, etc.) or newish build. Some, however, have few flats, and what there is is mostly ex-social housing built in the 50s & 60s (much of Rochester and Rainham is like this).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 26-04-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sue911186
    • By sue911186 26th Apr 17, 10:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sue911186
    Originally posted by LadyL2013
    I moved here 5 years ago as i could not afford anywhere in Bexleyheath where I previously lived or Surrey where I work and I love it living here. I mainly moved here to be near the river but there's far more to the town than that.

There are areas in the town which are rougher than others but I feel quite safe walking home from the station late at night and my property has increased nicely in the 5 years.

But the best part for me is that the people generally seem far more friendly than in other areas I've lived (even to people saying hello when you pass them in the street or park) and also the council arrange lots of local events. There is a large music day down by the river each year and just recently a massive (and all-inviting) Sikh festival in the town as well as a St George's Day parade.

The A2 runs near the town so we can be through the Dartford Tunnel within 15 minutes and the fast trains stop at Gravesend (and Ebbsfleet is nearby) so you can be in London with 15 minutes (if you don't mind paying the higher fares). There are also two big building projects planned which will bring in thousands of new jobs in the area in the next few years.

Apologies if this sounds like an advert for Gravesend but moving here is one decision I'm glad I made.
    • LadyL2013
    • By LadyL2013 26th Apr 17, 10:26 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    LadyL2013
    I'm tempted by the new Dessert bar just opened on the corner as you come in to the town centre from Higham direction.

The newly refurbished clocktower looks nice.

Seriously though, I tend to agree with you that with one or two exceptions, most parts of most of these areas are broadly similar.

However, with the OP's Son's budget, he will be looking only at flats, and some of these areas have lots of good flats that are either interesting (period properties, water-side, etc.) or newish build. Some, however, have few flats, and what there is is mostly ex-social housing built in the 50s & 60s (much of Rochester and Rainham is like this).
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

He can easily get a house for that budget in Medway. I had a smaller budget than him and I was looking at 1 or 2 bedroom houses in the area (decent areas) and also large maisonettes. It's perfectly doable with his budget.

I moved here 5 years ago as i could not afford anywhere in Bexleyheath where I previously lived or Surrey where I work and I love it living here. I mainly moved here to be near the river but there's far more to the town than that.

There are areas in the town which are rougher than others but I feel quite safe walking home from the station late at night and my property has increased nicely in the 5 years.

But the best part for me is that the people generally seem far more friendly than in other areas I've lived (even to people saying hello when you pass them in the street or park) and also the council arrange lots of local events. There is a large music day down by the river each year and just recently a massive (and all-inviting) Sikh festival in the town as well as a St George's Day parade.

The A2 runs near the town so we can be through the Dartford Tunnel within 15 minutes and the fast trains stop at Gravesend (and Ebbsfleet is nearby) so you can be in London with 15 minutes (if you don't mind paying the higher fares). There are also two big building projects planned which will bring in thousands of new jobs in the area in the next few years.

Apologies if this sounds like an advert for Gravesend but moving here is one decision I'm glad I made.
    Originally posted by sue911186

Good to know, I'll be moving to Gravesend in the near future if all the papers go through OK. What area are you in?
    • Towser
    • By Towser 26th Apr 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 1,695 Thanks
    Towser
    I'd really like to know what people feel about Wokingham?
    • tortoiseshellcat
    • By tortoiseshellcat 30th Apr 17, 12:44 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    tortoiseshellcat
    Thanks so much for all your replies and opinions it's really useful to know which areas are nicer and which aren't so nice.
    Redhill kind of area is way above his budget it seems to have gone up in price a lot over the last year or so.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 30th Apr 17, 12:52 PM
    • 8,582 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I'd really like to know what people feel about Wokingham?
    Originally posted by Towser
    I'm sure it's fine. However, there's only one "normal" property in budget on RightMove.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • tortoiseshellcat
    • By tortoiseshellcat 17th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    tortoiseshellcat
    Thanks again for all your useful knowledge on specific areas 🙂
    He is now looking at flats/apartments as he will be able to get a 2 bed flat in a nicer area than being able to afford a 2 bed house (if that makes sense)
    So for example there seem to be a few affordable 2 bed flats/apartments in and around Maidstone within his budget which is probably more central for him.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,329Users online

Martin's Twitter