Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherUser
    • By JustAnotherUser 22nd Apr 17, 1:50 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 5Thanks
    JustAnotherUser
    Visited by "MoneyExpert Ltd" Door to Door regarding energy
    • 22nd Apr 17, 1:50 PM
    Visited by "MoneyExpert Ltd" Door to Door regarding energy 22nd Apr 17 at 1:50 PM
    I've just been door-stopped by 'Craig' who was from 'MoneyExpert Ltd' and was claiming that all the North West Energy Suppliers are overcharging. The number for verification on the back of the badge resolved to one for credico.uk.com but was listed on the badge as for moneyexpert.com

He claimed they represented all 47 energy companies and that they'd get paid irrespective of which was the cheapest to promote the cheapest, which he claimed for this area would be Greenstar and then based on rough details still claimed was Greenstar. He also claimed that the advertised figure (and the figure on statements pKWH) was only for the first 50 units and that after that they could charge their standard rate and hence that other comparison sites did not take this into account.

I'm currently with Affect Energy (from Feb), having previously moved from First Utility (the supplier when we moved in) to Extra Energy to British Gas mostly with switches through MSE. The usage for this house seems possibly higher than it should be (3/4 bed mid terraced old house, ~19,350KwH Gas and ~7,232KwH Electricity based on 3 year average).

Anybody else encountered this or believe we are specifically being overcharged in the North West?
Page 2
  • archived user
    Whatever bull Craig can come with is fine by me if he gets people switching from good old British Gas ( the gas board ) to Greenstar, then they are £300 up on the deal and Craig is £30/40 better off. Many people don`t have the faintest idea what a KWH is and never will and they have certainly never heard of comparison sites because they don t have an internet connection. Good on Craig for providing a valuable service because the suppliers have`nt made it clear to Ron and Susan etc that they are paying through the nose. A few white lies to seal the deal is in order IMO.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 25th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Whatever bull Craig can come with is fine by me if he gets people switching from good old British Gas ( the gas board ) to Greenstar, then they are £300 up on the deal and Craig is £30/40 better off. Many people don`t have the faintest idea what a KWH is and never will and they have certainly never heard of comparison sites because they don t have an internet connection. Good on Craig for providing a valuable service because the suppliers have`nt made it clear to Ron and Susan etc that they are paying through the nose. A few white lies to seal the deal is in order IMO.
    Originally posted by House Martin

how does 'Bull Craig' make his company money?

By getting customers sign onto their most expensive tariff. Either a Standard tariff or their most costly one.

So it isn't a valuable service, but one which only serves themselves.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • PinholeCamera
    • By PinholeCamera 18th May 17, 1:14 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    PinholeCamera
    Money Expert still doing the rounds
    Representatives from MoneyExpert.com are going door-to-door today in my area (NW) with similar spiel. I was called on twice by two different people this morning. The first one ran away without even explaining what they wanted. The second claimed they're 'representing the government' as people in this region are being over-charged by their suppliers, but some householders may not have seen the news reports or 'had the letter'. Sounds like a complete scam.
    • DollyDee
    • By DollyDee 23rd May 17, 2:24 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    DollyDee
    They have just called at my house in the Midlands. Pretty sure it was Craig - ginger hair, tattoos.

Asked if I'd received the "Energy Report" through the letterbox - no. Oh don't worry a lot of your neighbours haven't either.

First Utility & Greenstar biggest savings - about £300+ per year, allegedly.

Funny though, although they were supposedly saving me £300+ per year, the direct debit was higher. I don't know if this is because I am in credit with my current supplier and my DD has recently been lowered although not as low as the supplier wanted to go. I did give him the annual usage in KWh for gas & electricity but he got the same result.

I declined his offer of doing the switch for me.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 24th May 17, 8:57 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    phillw
    A few white lies to seal the deal is in order IMO.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    As soon as someone tells a few white lies to sell a product then I would walk away. Whether it's on the side of a big red bus, or someone knocking on my doorstep. Once a lie has been revealed then the trust has gone, everything else they say is now completely suspect. If they then told me something that I agreed with, then I would start looking for evidence that I was wrong.

The reason a lot of people refuse to switch, is because of bad experience with people knocking on doors and harassing them in the street to switch to a tariff that turned out to be worse than what they were on to start with.
    Last edited by phillw; 24-05-2017 at 9:03 AM.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 25th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    darren72
    Why would anyone even consider signing up to anything if a random stranger comes knocking on your door ? - I wouldn't even entertain it.
    • kev_hewitt
    • By kev_hewitt 17th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    kev_hewitt
    I've just had them visit my door claiming that MoneySavingExpert is a fake version of them ������ Quite scary though, door was shut pretty quick!
    Kev H
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,777Posts Today

8,081Users online

Martin's Twitter