Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 511Posts
    • 2,186Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 7
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 4th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 4,477 Posts
    • 18,262 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Just stopping by to say good luck tomorrow x
    DFW £953.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £391.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £259.95 + £25 Cash + £65 Amazon
    August 17 PA £98.93 + £83.08 Cash + £80 Amazon
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thank you HI

I will post an update when I get back
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I'm sure your appointment will go well. It is definitely a major step forward.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/July 2017=7,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks doingitanyway
    I am seeing it as a way forward and as a positive step.
    I am apprehensive, of course, however, I am sure that once the process has started I will have a sense of relief and release.

I will post an update once I get back from the appointment and I've had time to process everything.

Thanks everyone for your messages of encouragement and support.
    I'm heading off to bed now.

Good night and sleep well everyone
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 5th Jun 17, 7:16 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Big B progress update
    Hi Folks
    Not long back from appointment with my CAB advisor.
    We discussed all the available options, trust deed, sequestration, etc.
    The best course of action is sequestration.
    My advisor is now arranging an appointment with one of the insolvency practitioners that they use (who apparently is very, very good and has a reputation for being very reasonable).
    Advisor is hoping to arrange that asap, hopefully next week (12th) or the following week (19th) but it all depends on the IPs availability.
    I do feel we are making progress and that I am not being rushed or pushed into making my decisions, which is great.
    I know that when I do finally sign that application and pay the fee it will be after taking good advice and making the best decision.

Thanks for everyone's help and support with this I really do appreciate it.
    I would like, once I've completed my sequestration to still be able to be here and help out and share my experiences.

Now to get my tea and relax a little.
    If anyone wants to ask anything just post, thanks...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I'm glad your appointment went well
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 22,165 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Another step in the right direction
    Virtual Sealed Pot £547.82
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 6th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks folks

Staying positive and focused
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 6th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 4,477 Posts
    • 18,262 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Glad it went well

Definitely helps staying positive

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 6th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Bad Experience with a creditor...
    I posted before about one of my creditors being... difficult

Today I answered a phone call believing it may be my CAB advisor, nope, it was this creditor.

Went through the same performance as last time basically... told them that I was dealing with the CAB... he said the CAB only give advice they can't actually help (yep, that's twice that these clowns have said this...).

I said that I am awaiting an appointment with an IP that my local CAB use in order to discuss and plan my way forward and that this may include sequestration / bankruptcy...

He still refused to put my account on hold... as they didn't know the details of my circumstances... Erm, hello, I thought, I have told you I am in financial difficulties and taking advice from CAB regarding bankruptcy... you really don't need any further details!!!
    My other creditors have been very understanding and have accepted that explanation without asking for further details and have said they will await contact from my IP/Trustee...

I will be discussing this with my CAB advisor...

On the upside... I have had a NSD YAY

I am just waiting on my tea cooking and then I shall catch up with every one else's adventures

Be excellent to each other
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done for keeping your cool with the rubbish creditor. The broken record technique is the way to go with these people. There is always one isn't there?

Forget about them until you speak to your CAB advisor and enjoy your evening
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 6th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Musings, mutterings and lessons learned so far...
    Just getting some things out of my head... bear with me, this may be a long one

Lessons learned thus far;
    You cannot borrow your way out of debt.
    If you can afford the payments on a six-month loan then you can afford to save that money for six months and use it for what you need.
    Credit is not YOUR money.
    It is possible to get through several days without needing to spend anything.
    You can get just about anything you need for your home from a charity shop.

The folks on here are awesome
    There is a genuine care, concern and mutual support network here and we can all learn from each other.

Being on here helps me to maintain focus. Even though I don't post up everything that is going on in my quest to become debt free it helps me to keep going and keeps me motivated.
    I have a journal (I use a one note notebook) and have excel spreadsheets to track my budgets etc.
    I have set goals and objectives some long term and some short term and so far things are progressing well. It has taken a while to get this far and it has not been easy. There is an end in sight, I know the route, I know where and when it will all be completed.

I'll continue with this tomorrow as I am heading to bed now, early rise in morning.

Thanks for reading.
    G'nite
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Musings, mutterings and lessons learned Pt. 2
    Today has been good.

Another NSD Tomorrow may also be a NSD...

I ignored a call from the annoying creditor as I was truly too busy at work to even think of dealing with them today and it felt good to just say, "sod 'em!" I am going to ignore them from now on, as I am so close to putting the BIG B in place that their harassment is basically irrelevant...

My CAB advisor has managed to arrange an appointment / meeting with an IP that they use for this Monday coming (12th) at 6pm Another step forward

Oh, I now have £6 in the TARDIS I hope it's not bigger on the inside as I would actually like to fill it up ;D

I am eating and sleeping better now too.

Off to watch some more Twin Peaks and catch up with American Gods too.

Hope everyone else has had a good one today and thank you for reading my ramblings
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 7th Jun 17, 7:46 PM
    • 4,477 Posts
    • 18,262 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    All sounding good
    Especially eating and sleeping

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jun 17, 8:52 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    There has to be downs as well as ups...
    Hey folks...

First the Positives from yesterday;
    Another NSD
    AND I found a tenner on my way home from work
    My local MP was re-elected

Negatives;
    The lass I'm in love with is having a hard time dealing with personal and family issues and is pushing me away... again...

I am off today, doctors appointment. I have a few other things I need to do as well.

Looking at Life Insurance and at Home Contents insurance and have a few quotes to look over.

Hope everyone has a great day.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 9th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Hi UncannyScot

Your diary is great. Please stay strong and positive.
    Total unsecured debt - £9,484 (August 2017) - Debt free Target April 2018

Lunches brought to work in August 16/23 Money saved to date £32.35 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Potentially a major windfall or a major loss???
    Hi folks

just found out that my mum has a large sum stashed away in trust for us...
    Now this could be great but this could also be a problem... if my dear mum stays with us for more than 5 years (gods please!!!!) not a problem... there will be an inheritance
    If she leaves us during the next 5 years... it will be a problem... the IP / Trustee would take all of my share, the lot...

How can I protect my inheritance and ensure that I will have something to leave to my kids too?
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 22,165 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good that you can see the positives and that they outweigh the negatives. Sorry to hear about your lass pushing you away - just be there for her is all you can do. I hope she gets herself sorted and realises she has a good man there.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £547.82
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jun 17, 9:21 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thank you Sun Addict

She knows I am and always will be there for her... I have stood with her and stood by her when others have turned their backs...
    Long story short, she battles depression and anxiety attacks... bi-polar...
    When she hits a low, it is really bad, she will say and do really hurtful things to keep or push people away from her...
    When she hits a high it is also difficult as she becomes extremely hyper and as she puts it "a super happy PITA"
    When she is between a low and a high she is an absolutely lovely, caring and fantastic person.
    Other friends cannot understand why I, as they say "put up with her cos of her manic swings".
    To me, it is simple, I love her
    Her swings are due to illness and this illness is not the real her; I will roll with the tempest with her and keep a hold of her hand...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th Jun 17, 9:36 PM
    • 4,477 Posts
    • 18,262 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Thank you Sun Addict

She knows I am and always will be there for her... I have stood with her and stood by her when others have turned their backs...
    Long story short, she battles depression and anxiety attacks... bi-polar...
    When she hits a low, it is really bad, she will say and do really hurtful things to keep or push people away from her...
    When she hits a high it is also difficult as she becomes extremely hyper and as she puts it "a super happy PITA"

When she is between a low and a high she is an absolutely lovely, caring and fantastic person.
    Other friends cannot understand why I, as they say "put up with her cos of her manic swings".
    To me, it is simple, I love her
    Her swings are due to illness and this illness is not the real her; I will roll with the tempest with her and keep a hold of her hand...
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    This is me, and she will realise how much you are there for her. She's lucky to have someone who understands, I'm sure she knows this

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,295Posts Today

10,828Users online

Martin's Twitter