Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 982Posts
    • 6,221Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 58
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 6th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Aww wee Nanny Dog
    I've heard so much about how they take care of their families
    Hoping I can help give a wee rescue Staffie a family and a home and as much love and care as they will me
    They say that the strongest muscle a Staffie has is its heart...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Jan 18, 8:52 AM
    • 982 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks
    Second stage of the blitzkreig clean is underway...
    Will pop back with an update when done

Hope everyone has a grand Sunday
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 7th Jan 18, 9:46 AM
    • 5,538 Posts
    • 20,176 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Have a lovely day Uncanny xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6900.00 Cap 1: £467.97 BC: £6900.00

AFD 4/14 NSD 9/17 LTW 10/17
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £878.17/£4000
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Quick update...

So nearly there... being hampered somewhat due to problems with the water supply... disruption to services in my area and Scottish Water are investigating...

Nae Water and my washing machine is stuck / paused mid cycle with towels and bedding...

I've had to buy bottled water to have a brew... very posh tea lol

According to lovely fella at council emergency contact centre Scottish Water should have the supply sorted pretty soon, so I am checking their service updates regularly... been off since approx. 10 am.

Once water is back on I'll be able to give the Kitchen n Bathroom another quick wash down... the cleaning inspection is due @ 2pm but she know's the water is off too...

Right, back to what I can get done now
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    ***update***

Hiya Folks

Lovely volunteer lady not long away and my interrogation assessment has gone VERY well
    She looked around house to see how much room I had and commented on how tidy it was
    The jungle out back was OK and I did tell her that dog wouldn't really be in it anyway, as I have loads of outdoor access around me, which she agreed, as she knows the area really well...
    Asked me LOADS of questions about my experience as a dog owner, what breeds, raised from pups, what if any health issues have I had with dogs etc.
    So, long story short... I have passed the home-check and foster / adoption assessment. They will be in contact this week to arrange kennel visits and then fostering visits
    Was advised to get back in contact if I haven't heard from the kennels by Thursday
    I now have to get official permission from the council to have a dog, which shouldn't be a problem, as I have verbal agreement from all my immediate neighbours. I just need to get them to sign up the official consent form...

They have a very thorough vetting (pardon the pun) system and how it works is that potential fosters / adopters are invited to visit the kennels and get to know the dogs and vice versa. I will get to visit the dogs I am interested in and see how we get on and will be able (once we have made friends etc) to have them on fostered home visits over the weekend to help settle them gently back into a home life again and then have them stay longer until we are all happy that we are bonded and settled and happy

The volunteer who visited thinks that Maggie would possibly be the best suited for me, as she is an older and more settled dog than Lacey who is a "happy wee nutter" but I am being given the opportunity to get to know both of them and any other dogs that they think may be a good match for me

While I am a foster they will provide everything for the dogs. When it is agreed that me and dog are bestest buddies and we are all agreed that we are ready to co-habit permanently, I make a donation / adoption fee payment of £150... and dog is officially adopted

SO looking forward to having a wee furry pal in my life again

In other news, the cleaning inspector gave me a GOLD STAR award for my efforts seriously... a framed, signed certificate n everything... taking the pee but I love it

Water came back on but I will have to put washing back through cycle again... to be sure everything is washed and cleaned properly...

A VERY happy and productive day... I can't stop smiling
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 7th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 10,907 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Aw, well done. That'll be one lucky wee dog!
    I'm sure everything will be fine with the council since your neighbours have no objections.We had people who lived upstairs who bought a lovely little pedigree dog (without asking permission from the council or the neighbours) but left it in all day (and frequently all night). It barked continually (not a surprise) and I subsequently discovered that they kept it locked in the bathroom when they were out. It was obviously bought on a whim without any thought to it's needs. They've moved now and the dog has been sold on. Some people should just not be allowed to have animals.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 7th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 7,890 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Congratulations - very exciting.
    Though having walked and then subsequently bathed our muttley this afternoon, resulting in deep cleaning the entire bathroom, stairs and hallway, I'm not massively keen on him right now.
    Glad you got your water back quickly, our power was intermittent in the middle of the week and it took me all afternoon to reset appliances afterwards.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 5,590 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    So glad it went well

I can't wait to see which one becomes your buddy x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Well done!! Hope you don't have to wait too long for your new companion to move in.
    LBM in April 17 - £5624/£33554 (16.7%) paid.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    DFD: 1st May 2022
    SPC #591
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    The Budget Spreadsheet Walkthrough, Guide, thingummy…
    ***Big drum roll***

The Budget Spreadsheet Walkthrough, Guide, thingummy…

PART ONE of erm… a few

Spreadsheets are easy… well, if you know what you are doing with them they can be

You can use a spreadsheet workbook to help manage YOUR household; finances, budgets, meal planners, cleaning rotas, to do lists etc.

Thankfully, you don’t need to be a programmer or an expert user in order to use a spreadsheet; I’m neither and I manage ok.

First up. Do you have a spreadsheet programme on your PC?

For a lot of folks this would be Microsoft Office Excel but don’t worry if you don’t have this, as there is an excellent (and FREE) Office software package available to download called “Open Office”, which is fully compatible with Microsoft Office.

Within Excel you have access to various “templates” that you can use for different tasks.
    There are, therefore, budget planners available, as free to use templates, complete with all the calculation formulas to do the sums for you… However, they are usually set-up in an American format. Don’t panic though, formatting them for UK use is easy and as we put the workbook together I will walk you through it…

I the next, erm, however many parts this ends up in I will do my best to explain how put together a template workbook, in UK format, which you good folks can use.

For this I have used the Excel templates, which I have used myself, as they are quite good. Basic spreadsheets that are easily adapted to suit your requirements… and yes, these can be copied / adapted for use in Open Office too. Again, I will explain how to do so.

For this walkthrough / guide I have put together a templated work book for us to use.

A “workbook” is made up of several “worksheets” which are organised into pages.
    Each Worksheet / Page is indicated by a wee name tag at the bottom of the workbook.

In our workbook the first worksheet or page of the spreadsheet workbook will be a basic monthly budget spreadsheet. It is available in the Excel template library as “Basic Monthly Budget”. I have a heavily modified version of this myself, which suits my own needs.

The second worksheet or page is a monthly planner, which builds up into an Annual Review of income and expenditure. This is also available in the Excel template library as a “Monthly Budget”, again I have used and modified this one to suit what I need.

I will also include worksheets / pages of my own design for Savings and a Spending / Shopping tracker. Basically, you can add whatever you want into your workbook by adding new sheets, pages, worksheets and putting in the templates that you want to use. As I have already intimated, there are loads of FREE template planners available for just about every household task imaginable, meal planners, to do lists, cleaning plans etc. As you become familiar with what a spreadsheet format can do to assist you with your organisational needs you will be able to devise your own worksheets too

OK that was part one… any questions / comments / suggestions?
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 30,804 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    So pleased about the dog
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £94.62
    Jan NSDs 4 Jan AFDs 6
    Weight loss 3/10LBS Emergency Fund £1685.31/£10,000
    April holiday £803.90/£803.90
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 8,130 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Yes wonderful doggie news!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    Surveys: PA: £15.78/£20; One Poll: £15.40/£40: Opinium: £10.50/£25; Panelbase: £5/£10; You Gov: 1625/5000 points (£50)
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 982 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Still smiling

The lovely volunteer lady contacted me again last night to let me know that she has completed her report and passed it on to the lady in charge of the rescue. She has, of course approved me as a potential foster / adopter. The lady in charge of the rescue will be calling me as a follow-up at some point today (formality, they do this with every proposed foster / adopter).

Will update as soon as I have any further news

What do folks think of the first part of the walkthrough thingy, is it ok; easy to follow, understand?

Right, need to get back to it now...

Have a lovely day everyone
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 8th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 5,590 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Will be back to read through spreadsheet thing when there's no toddler in my face.

So happy rescue have been back on to you.

Have a lovely day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 8th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 5,422 Posts
    • 112,842 Thanks
    Mudbath
    Just popped in to see how the dog assessment / visit went...so pleased it's gone so well! Enjoy your new doggy
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 49,440 Posts
    • 185,902 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great dog news
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Och burgeritawtaehell
    An e-bay item I bought has arrived and it is totally burgered...
    Poorly packaged and has been VERY badly damaged in transit... to say ahhm no pleased is an understatement
    It will be returned for a full refund... or there will be a reckoning

Who, in their right mind, would send an electrical item (an Audio / Hi-Fi separate amplifier) with obviously insufficient protective packaging? I bought it as an upgrade / replacement for my ancient but working Hi-Fi amp... back to the drawing board now...

Will wait until refunded and source another from someone who knows how to properly package equipment or that I can collect / transport myself...

Other than that, I've had a grand day
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • FiscalPickle
    • By FiscalPickle 8th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    FiscalPickle
    Bad news about the amp, but great news on the dog front
    DFD - 26/10/19
    Away with you debt!
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Evening Folks

Another busy but happy day here...

Have just past the 1K post mark too

FleaBay issue is being resolved, the seller is accepting return / refund claim and the return postage labels are in process from FleaBay...

Still waiting to have follow-up call from rescue but I know they are a very busy bunch of volunteers... will call myself if not heard owt by Thursday.

Busy day, tired but happy
    Hope your day has been good
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jan 18, 6:43 PM
    • 49,440 Posts
    • 185,902 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on Fleabay.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,236Posts Today

8,997Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Of course but this question is about the specific "ladies first" rule. Ie a man giving a seat because it's a lady n? https://t.co/FBmEfwnHNM

• Today's twitter poll: Traditional manners have/had the concept of "ladies first". Is that compatible with gender eq? https://t.co/Qk4bC3pHjk

• RT @helwid87: @MartinSLewis Thankyou for your student loan refund advice. My £617 refund came through yesterday, making January less of a t?

• Follow Martin