Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 706Posts
    • 3,293Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 33
    • Purplebonnie
    • By Purplebonnie 3rd Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Purplebonnie
    I like the sound of your home brew. It's hubby's birthday soon, I think I may buy him a kit and if he doesn't use it, I will! Have a good day
    September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
    October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
    Extra Payments : 0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
    MBNA - £5350.73

October Food Budget : £200/£114.94 Extra Income £100 /£81.06
    SFD : 8/31 Weight Loss (Goal 8lbs) :
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 3rd Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Evening folks

Purplebonnie, that sounds like a cunning plan

Another long day done...
    A NSD today too YAY!

Brew doing ok... adding the hops on Friday after work...

I'm going to drag my tired ole butt to bed now... g'nite folks, hope you all had good days today
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    This brewing lark sounds very exciting! I only experienced it once though - early 70s when I was newly married and we were hard up my ex decided to brew his own. If I remember correctly we bought the kit from our local big branch of Boots - there wasn't a lot of choice then - I think it was a bitter blend! He brewed it and left it in the airing cupboard to ferment. When it finally came out it tasted horrendous! Yours sounds much more appealing!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Brew kits have improved vastly since then I think...

I remember when Boots carried a great range of home brew equipment.
    I think everyone's Dad was into it at one point in the late 70's early 80's. Mine was and all his mates too. I think when they all knocked it on the head when all us kids started getting older...

The only high street retailer that still does good reliable kit is Wilkos...

Today has been another long and busy day. A good one though. Another NSD YAY
    However, tomorrow I must get a couple of essentials in...

Right, going to put me feet up and watch some more TWD... Season 7 episode... erm... 8

Hope everyone has had a good one today

It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Evening folks

Been a very busy few days...

Work and friends have been a priority atm

Things are good

Hope you've all had a wonderful weekend and I will try and get back to you all with a full update on what's been happening tomorrow night
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 8th Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 23,091 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you've had a good weekend and some fun in between all that work
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi folks

Well, what have I been up to of late?

Lots of work on the go, which is great...

With the help of my lovely wee Mam, I have been able to get a car on the road again (don't worry, the wee beastie will not be getting neglected )
    I am, of course, now my Mam's very own chauffeur and have been tasked with taking her shopping or for anything else she may need... which is not as bad as it may sound. My Mam does her big shop once a month and as I visit regularly she will call with requests to pick up any wee regular items she may need.
    I have been doing well with my budgets, everything is on track and my emergency savings fund is building steadily.
    Surveys are going well and anything from them goes straight to the fund.

Apologies for having been away from the forum for a few days. Needed to focus on work, my Mam, a mate who needed help and getting the car sorted out.

Hope everyone else is doing grand
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 23,091 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Amazing news about the car and the EF.

Lovely of your mum and it's nice to see you're lovely in return

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Oct 17, 10:31 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    awww thanks

My wee Mam IS a wonderful wee wummin... as we say in Glasgow, "So kind hearted, they'd gie ye half a whit they've no got..."
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Good morning folks

Another busy day ahead...
    3 projects on the go atm...
    Juggling 'em all, they're all ahead of schedule. I won't do more than 3 at any one time, dependent on the scale of the project, as I will not risk the teams' rep by taking on more than we can handle

So, it may be a late one today for me.

Hope you all have a good one
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Great news on the car!.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 24,715 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounds like a busy time. Glad you've got a car
    Virtual Sealed Pot £656.24
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Purplebonnie
    • By Purplebonnie 11th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Purplebonnie
    Great news about the car, will certainly make life easier
    September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
    October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
    Extra Payments : 0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
    MBNA - £5350.73

October Food Budget : £200/£114.94 Extra Income £100 /£81.06
    SFD : 8/31 Weight Loss (Goal 8lbs) :
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Like a big kid in a sweetie shop...
    ... I have found a brilliant home brew supplier locally

They quite literally have EVERYTHING that you would ever need for brewing.

The lovely lady who served me actually saved me money by advising me on what I actually needed rather than what I thought I needed and gave good advice on particular brew mixes to try.
    Will definitely be back again soon...
    A very happy customer

This weekend I shall be moving my current brew into its secondary fermentation stage and syphon off from the fermentation bucket into two FV Barrels.

Work continues to progress well
    Budgets are still sound

Relaxing with a cuppa and catching up with my DFW buddies now
    Hope you've all had a great day

R.I.P. T.P.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Congrats on the car, how kind of your mother
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 14th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Aw lovely you helping yer mum out with lifts etc not visited you for a while on the home brew front... I am spending more than i would like on supermarket wine... but I like ale... but don't have much space... any brewing tips for small spaces? ! Thank you happierdays x
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 23,091 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope all is well US x

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You must be enjoying having a car again and your mum definitely deserves lifts to the shops

DH and I didn't have a car for three years so I know how lovely it is to have transport again
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Been a busy day at the (HOME) Brewery...
    ...one brew bottled off and prepping for a new one at the mo.

I have approx. 40 pints bottled which will be good to drink in about 4 weeks time.

The new brew is an IPA and will take approx. 2 weeks to ferment / brew and then another month to condition.

happierdays a decent basic set-up doesn't take up a lot of room. my set up atm is;
    one 25L fermentation bucket,
    a 2m length of tubing,
    a hop bag filter,
    a hydrometer,
    a big long handled stirrer,
    2 X Coopers' FV buckets, with taps at base...
    2 X Bottling rods, which attach to the taps for easy bottling off
    56 X 740ml PET brown bottles
    BIG bottle of Milton fluid for cleaning and sterilisation of EVERYTHING...
    ALL of this fits neatly into a bedroom cupboard when not in use and takes up one half of my small kitchen when the brewery is in operation.

Wilkos have a good range of Homebrew equipment and brew beer tins.
    Check online for local wine making / home brew suppliers.

My kit cost about £60. Brew packs / tins vary in price and quality generally from £12 upwards...
    My current brew, the IPA was about £23. However, it makes 40 pints, so about 60p a pint...

It takes time and patience. Prepping for a brew takes a couple of hours at least. Everything has to be cleaned and sterilised and rinsed out with cold water...

Syphoning the fermenter and bottling off can takes a few hours too.
    Again, everything the brew comes into contact with has to be clean and sterile...
    Once bottled off it takes about a month to condition in the bottle to optimum flavour
    It's well worth the effort though and saves a LOT of money in the long run so very MSE.

Hiddenidentity been busy with work, my wee mammy but I'm doing fine luv, thanks
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 23,091 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Glad you're well

Nice you're busy too. Remember between all that work and being a good son you need to take some time yourself too x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

2,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin