Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 711Posts
    • 3,341Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 32
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 30th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thank you folks

Today has been great thus far...

I have just been given free, gratis another brew-kit by a lovely lady in my local charity shop
    It was a donation and they cannot sell it or receive anything for it due to licensing laws???
    Anyway, they know me really well in there and they kept it aside especially for me... how lovely is that?
    They wouldn't take anything for it, cos they can't... however, one of my cakes that they love will be getting donated ASAP
    This has really made my day today

Just researching to see if I can use my FV barrel to brew it or if I need to use the bucket to brew and then transfer to FV...
    Happy Days
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 30th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 24,875 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    How fab is that. Happy days indeed
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 30th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's brilliant US, what a nice gesture
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 30th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks

It will be a multi-stage brew process... pitched into the fermentation bucket for first stage of the brewing process, then siphoned off into the FV barrel for the second stage and then finally bottled off for the third and final stage which is bottle conditioning. Approx. 1 month in total and then it will be ready to enjoy
    Having consulted with my guru's of brew this particular kit is, and I quote, " a bloody good one mate!"...
    High praise indeed...
    So, this is my main task for tomorrow, getting this batch prepped and the process stared... it's a BIG batch and makes approx. 40 pints of good quality Ale... need to get more bottles n caps ordered in then
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 30th Sep 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Should save you some money
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 30th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Aye, considering the price of a pint these days...

Home brew is cheap and relatively easy to do. However, it does take time and patience...
    Having two kits now will mean that I can have one batch brewing while I drink the results of the previous one

A brew pack from Wilko is approx. £12 which will brew 40 pints so it works out at approx. 30 pence per pint very
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    It's BREWDAY

Ok, it is actually chores and baking day too BUT BREWDAY YAY

Barrel and all "contact" equipment and apparatus cleaned and sterilised ready for use... CHECK

Instructions carefully read and understood... CHECK

Ingredients pitched to Fermentation bucket and mixed as per the instructions... CHECK

Waiting for first stage of brewing process to complete (approx. 5 Days)

Have ordered more bottles and bottle caps online (budgeted for )

Now I am going to relax with a cuppa, read and catch up.

The weather here, north o the wall is dreicht (wet, windy and cold)
    Hope you are all having a good one today, wherever you are and whatever the weather...

R.I.P. T.P.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 1st Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    I will pm you my address howay get a bottle posted south of the border.

So all in including kit etc bottles caps is that all it costs
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 1934
    Cashback Earnings YTD £164.10 Survey Earnings YTD £503.96
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot

A home brew kit in itself costs about £40 initially. Check out your local ALDI as they had the kit I have for £30... if they have any left they may be reduced even further and it includes everything you need, including your first beer to brew
    Once you have the kit though it does works out at 30p a pint based on a £12 brew recipe kit
    It really is quite easy to do, follow the instructions and you'll do ok, it just takes time and patience
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Check out your local Wilko as they have a great home brew range... wish I had a Wilko nearer to me, it's a bit of a trip by bus n train so I wait 'til I need a fair bit before going to make the trip worthwhile...
    They currently have a starter kit for £30...

Next trip I'll be picking up a 25L fermentation barrel and a few other bits n bobs to compliment my current setup.

With the addition of the 25L fermentation bucket I got yesterday I'll need to use both of my FV barrels to accommodate this brew at it's next main stage. If I was to get a FV Barrel of same capacity then it would cut out the need to decant from the bucket, I could do away with the bucket completely...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Oct 17, 6:24 PM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 24,875 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Mr SA used to love brewing his own beer. Inspired by your post I mentioned it to him and he said he'd like to have a go again. I think it would give him something to focus on with an end product he'd enjoy. So thanks for the inspiration
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    That's great

Glad to be an inspiration
    Thank you

R.I.P. T.P.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 1st Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    hmmmmmmm i am going to look into this

http://www.wilko.com/cider+beer-brewing/wilko-dark-velvet-stout-brewing-kit-makes-40-pints/invt/0318379
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    If you need any info or advice I would be more than happy to help out mate
    Funnily enough, that particular brew is on my list of ones to try

I would go for the starter kit set they do first and then get the 25L barrel with the tap (makes bottling off a doddle to do) which will give you the ability to brew larger batches of 40 pints... like the stout mix
    Wilko have been a strong supporter of home brewers for years and their kit is top notch... even my gurus of brew swear by their gear... one of the reasons why I use them myself.

I'm making the trip next weekend to get the 25L barrel, a couple of brew cans (yeah, stout is one of em) some brewing sugar and carbonation sugar drops (for bottle conditioning). Even an Ale needs a bit of CO2 in it...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 1st Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Thanks mate i have a wilkos on the way home from work. Hmmmm i will follow your advice ie the brewing kit first.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 1st Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 23,321 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Sounds like a brilliant day x
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Check your local ALDI to see if they have any of the Coopers Craft brew kits (the FV barrel kit that I have) as well cos the FV Barrel would be MUCH better that the bucket in that Woodfordes kit mate

You know, I'm sure there should be a home brew section on the forums here lol
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Sounds like a brilliant day x
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Thank you missus it has been lovely and I hope you've had a great day too
    (((((HUGS)))))
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    There was / is a thread in Old Style Moneysaving on brewing that I've just revived, I hope
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 2nd Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Evening folks

Another day almost done...
    Been a busy one again for me.
    Gonna kick back now n relax before bedtime.
    Hope you all had good days today too.
    My brew is bubbling away nicely and I got a feeling this is definitely going to be a good one

R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

8,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin