Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 822Posts
    • 4,142Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 3
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 30th Apr 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 26,373 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Waiting patiently for the cat to arrive
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 30th Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Ooh choccy digestives- my favourite!

Glad to hear the new computer is working out well, and that the cat-plan is coming together!
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st May 17, 7:05 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Cat update - I am in contact with my local Cats Protection branch and I hope to be able to visit their re-homing centre this coming weekend to see if one of their guests would like me to be their servant...

Savings plan? I am trying to put savings into my local Credit Union whenever I can, even if it's only a few quid here and there. Eventually I would like to be putting at least £20 a month into my savings, more whenever I can afford to. I would like to save up for a car... I know it will take a while though...

Life assurance/insurance, looking at this to see what options are there...

Steady as I go... ;D
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 3rd May 17, 8:10 AM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Something else that I am saving for with my credit union savings, new carpets...
    I've been making do with a selection / collection of rugs over the floors of my home for years... time for a change if I can make it
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 26,373 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    So pleased there are movements on the cat front, how lovely that you will be rescuing one in need of a good home.

On the savings front anything saved is good no matter how small the amount.

All sounding good
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th May 17, 6:11 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Sun Addict

Thank you.
    Love my credit union savings

Fingers crossed that a cat will choose me
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th May 17, 6:18 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    A wee bit down that I couldn't make it through to visit my local Cats' protection re-homing centre this weekend... friend had car trouble unfortunately... her clutch has gone...

However, onward and upwards. Hopefully get over once the car has been sorted.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th May 17, 10:53 AM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Quick update - have contacted a lovely lady who volunteers with a cats re-homing charity. She says that finding a house-cat can be difficult as they mostly deal in strays and feral... however, she said that she may be able to help.
    So just waiting to hear now if she or someone she knows has a house-cat looking for a new home... fingers crossed...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th May 17, 3:38 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Another quickie - just received an update from the lovely lady at the charity who has been contacted by an elderly gentleman looking to re-home his house cat. She has forwarded me his details and I will be contacting him once I get home from work...

I am super excited and hope this is going to happen and that I will have a wee cat of my own again
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 8th May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    Good luck!!!!!!!
    August 2017 £9510/£11,150 savings aim for EF and moving (by Jan 2018)
    Mortgage £67 483 Emergency fund £1500 Moving fund £8010 Treats account £648 Doing up flat £1050
    Christmas 2017 £120/£160
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 26,373 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hope it all goes well and you get a fur baby at last.
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 8th May 17, 8:36 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,676 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Updates on Kitty required...
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    OK another quick update during my break

I am hopefully picking up my new furry friend tonight after work...

If all goes well I will post up some pictures for all my fellow cat lovers...
    Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th May 17, 11:19 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 26,373 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Wonderful news
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th May 17, 6:24 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Still waiting to hear when I can pick up my new furry friend

Hopefully, it will be this weekend.

Other than that it has been all good in the hood so far...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 11th May 17, 7:15 PM
    • 5,319 Posts
    • 26,106 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hello and look forward to following
    Last edited by Hiddenidenity; 11-05-2017 at 7:20 PM.
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 26,373 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Have you got your cat yet? Keep us posted.
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th May 17, 3:32 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Buggrit millenium hand and shrimp!!!

Sad to report that I will not be re-homing the cat that I had enquired about...
    However, I have not given up on the search as I know there is a wee furry friend out there somewhere that needs a home, mine...

In other news...
    First appointment with local CAB went very well and we have a cunning plan as they say to help get me back on my feet again ASAP

I have another appointment for next week and shall report on progress as soon as I can (both cat and finance related)

Everybody, have a good one, eh?
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 16th May 17, 4:10 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Hey,
    good luck in your journey.
    The only comment I really have is from your SOA - you are paying £1000 a month towards your kids which is admirable seeing as you don't have contact. I am wondering if you have been through and checked with the CMA what you should be paying - £1000 a month seems a lot with your take home only just ove r£2k.

I'm sure someone will criticise me for suggesting you look at reducing payments, it just seems a lot. my ex was only £2500 take home when he left and only had to give us £500 a month (2 kids)
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th May 17, 6:21 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Anna,

thank you.
    It's the amount that was agreed on (5 kids)
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,804Posts Today

6,675Users online

Martin's Twitter