Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 626Posts
    • 2,817Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 29
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 23,478 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Pleased to hear your home brew has been successful. Enjoy
    Virtual Sealed Pot £621.40
    September NSD 9/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 4,110 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi uncanny - just read through your diary - wow what a rollercoaster- but so pleased that you're sounding so positive. Well done on the baking, brewing and biking! Have subscribed and look forward to reading about more of your adventures!

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 16th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 4,772 Posts
    • 20,822 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Have a lovely day US x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Just back from a wee local ride about...
    Going to get cleaned up, then a cuppa and then catch up on here...

SSG welcome to my wee place, there is always tea, cakes / bakes n a brew available
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I am now over the £20 for PA, once what is pending drops into my total amount available...
    Surveys really are picking up well

I think I may have solved the non-rising home baked bread mystery... I was using the wrong type of yeast
    This has now been corrected and I have yeast for both machine baked and traditional...
    The wee machine does a lovely wee loaf that is great for cheese n toast, get about six thick slices off it
    This was how I found I had the wrong yeast BTW as I thought,
    "Oh, so you work in a machine but you won't when I put all the hard work in eh? Why's that then, eh?"
    Reads the instructions on the wee tin...
    "Ah, right then, my bad, whoops..."

So, I have a quiet night in planned, some home brew (not mine, I have a few from the gurus of brew to try ) and Walking Dead Season 3, which I hope to complete tonight...

Been a NSD today too as my friendly local bike shop sorted me out with a wee issue I had with my brakes FOC, top guys

Have a lovely evening folks

It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Sep 17, 11:23 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Checked out whether or not I would qualify for a warm home discount for my fuel bills this coming winter... unfortunately I don't
    Not on benefits...
    Gross income is over the threshold...
    Ach well, I tried, thanks to Beanielou for giving me a heads up on it
    Folks, if you are on less than £17k a year or on benefits or spend more than 10% of your income on your fuel bills, then claim the warm home discount, you're eligible for it, so go get it!
    Not counting this as a loss, cos I've already budgeted for my energy costs and I will manage ok.
    If you can get it folks, it's £140 off your winter fuel bill, so go check with your energy provider and claim it. It's on a first come, first served basis, so get in there before it's too late.
    Peace out people...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    It's SUNDAY

Chores done (well, apart from the baking which is ongoing...) trying home baked bread... again...
    Also have a date n walnut and a Smiddy Dumpling loaf planned for today.

A lovely warm and sunny day here, be out on bike later methinks... need to pick up some baking ingredients anyway as running low on a few essentials there. So, not a NSD today but I knew that would be the case anyway.

Finished Season three of The Walking Dead last night and watched the first of the Fourth Season. On course to be caught up for the new season (Season 8) starting very soon

Now, I'm having a cuppa and catching up with my DFW friends on here.
    Have a lovely day folks
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 17th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 4,772 Posts
    • 20,822 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Have a lovely day

Sun is shining here too. Although keeps trying to rain!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 4,110 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Shame about the discount uncanny but I hope you had a lovely bracing bike ride to blow away the cobwebs!

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 18th Sep 17, 8:06 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning folks

Monday again and another busy week ahead.
    Had a grand day yesterday baking and biking.

Will try and get an update done when I get home n settled tonight
    Hope every one has a good one today.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Lancashirelass1
    • By Lancashirelass1 18th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Lancashirelass1
    hi there
    I have been doing surveys - I am not having much luck with mine - they keep kicking me out!!!!! i think I am on toluna - but I think I should sign up to more!
    Aim to be debt free by 43 realistic is by the time I have finished being 43!!!
    Snowballing starting in August 2017
    Debt total
    23'570.92
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 4,772 Posts
    • 20,822 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Morning

Have a lovely day x

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 18th Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Lancashirelass1
    Try Prolific Academic (PA) and Opinion Outpost (OO) for surveys
    Panelbase uk as well...
    PA is usually busy during the college/university terms and OO is usually busy all the time.
    PA is best built up until you have over £20 available to pull-down
    OO I usually build up to 200 points (roughly £10)
    Panelbase I usually pull down at around £10 as well

Bear in mind in can take up to 5 working days for the funds to clear from the survey sites and then same again via either Pay Pal or Circlepay.

Right... back to whatever it was I was supposed to be doing...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 18th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    hi there
    I have been doing surveys - I am not having much luck with mine - they keep kicking me out!!!!! i think I am on toluna - but I think I should sign up to more!
    Originally posted by Lancashirelass1
    I would do as many as you can there is money to be made see my signature

onepoll
    opinion outpost
    mingle respondi
    prolific academic
    power of opinions
    and opinium research and swagbucks are all good little payers

see my signature it just takes patience
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £162.02 Survey Earnings YTD £485.18
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 18th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Hi Lancashirelass1
    Try Prolific Academic (PA) and Opinion Outpost (OO) for surveys
    Panelbase uk as well...
    PA is usually busy during the college/university terms and OO is usually busy all the time.
    PA is best built up until you have over £20 available to pull-down
    OO I usually build up to 200 points (roughly £10)
    Panelbase I usually pull down at around £10 as well

Bear in mind in can take up to 5 working days for the funds to clear from the survey sites and then same again via either Pay Pal or Circlepay.

Right... back to whatever it was I was supposed to be doing...
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Haha or if your waiting on one poll 5 weeks plus lol
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £162.02 Survey Earnings YTD £485.18
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 19th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hey folks
    Busy couple of days here...
    A NSD today YAY
    Dinner tonight was a "buggrit-omelette" of mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and a handful of mozzarella... it was YUM
    Now a cuppa n catch up and surveys and then more of Season 4 of The Walking Dead...
    Crivens! I am needing just 16 bleedin' pence to cash out PA... arrrrrggghhhh... come on ya scunner ye
    Oh, and I have cake too mmmmmm Caaaaaakkkeee...

Hope you all had a grand day folks

R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 19th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    YES... thank you PA, cashed out... more to the savings pot woo hoo
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 23,478 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Well done

The best survey I ever did was for a radio station, got £50 for just listening to snippets of music and saying whether I liked it or not.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £621.40
    September NSD 9/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 20th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Today has been a good un
    Much done at work on prep for forthcoming projects and also on the one that I currently have ongoing

It was absolutely throwing it down on way home today but me n the Wee Beastie had fun anyway
    Good hot shower when I got in and home made from scratch Chilli Con Carne for dinner.

Catching up with folks on here and then more Walking Dead before bedtime
    Hope you all had a good one today too
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 21st Sep 17, 6:35 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Although I don't qualify for warm home discount after reading about it on your thread , I passed info onto a friend and looks like she does , so most helpful. This is what I like about reading other people 's threads.
    Keep up all your good work Uncanny, sounds like the cycling is going well .
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,863Posts Today

9,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin