Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 611Posts
    • 2,708Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 28
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    The Wet Highland Way away day...
    What a day...
    Up early (for a Sunday) leaving Glasgow at about 8'ish. We arrived in Glencoe for shortly after 10.30 and parked up at Altnafeadh in the wee car park for what is usually a stunning view of the great shepherd of the Glen, Buachaille Etive Mor, unfortunately heavy rain and low cloud meant we couldn't see much.

We quickly got ourselves ready and set off up the Devils' Staircase, not a lot of time on the bikes doing this part as it is a hell of a climb even on foot. We carried and pushed them most of the way.

We reached the top of the climb and stopped for a quick breather and a bite and a drink. Then we were away again. The route to Kinlochleven was a fantastic descent and we had an absolute ball despite the appalling weather, felt sorry for the folks who were hiking it.

We hammered it down the final descent into Kinlochleven and skidded to a halt at the bottom (as you do...) we felt great, like we'd just done a stage of the downhill world cup
    Again, a brief stop for a snack n drink and we updated mates brother of progress then off again...

We had another difficult climb up out of Kinlochleven and had to carry and push the bikes quite a bit until we hit the old military road. Riding conditions were not as good as on the descent to Kinlochleven as the path / road was very badly waterlogged and we had to go through a lot of puddles and across streams of water that cut through the road. The rain NEVER stopped...
    We pushed on and came to the fork at the end of the track where you can either continue through Glen Nevis to Fort William or take the road route. We tossed a coin...
    It was the Glen Nevis route...
    Thankfully it wasn't too bad considering the conditions and we didn't meet many hikers on this stretch, think we passed two at most. A couple of bits where we had to get off and push but we made good time. We soon reached the main road for Fort William and thought, "YES, nearly there!" but on our approach into the town we found that the OFFICIAL end of the WHW had been moved
    It was in town centre near the big new Whetherspoons
    So, we quickly got there and then back to the Mr M's Car Park to meet up with the Man wi the Van and got the bikes and gear into Van.
    We stripped off in back of van and dried ourselves off got into our normal clothes... and went to the pub...
    Couple of pints and Sunday Roast a la Wetherspoons then home.
    Fantastic day despite the weather and poor visibility, we seen nothing of what is usually gorgeous on this route
    My muscles are burning and I'm sure I am going to feel it in the morning but it was great and the wee beastie did brilliantly too...

Hope you folks have had a good one too

BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Scott
    I also watch Danny and yell at the telly... in fluent Anglo-Saxon usually
    The Ridge is a stunning example. The Cullins' Ridge is very difficult to walk, never mind ride on... the guy is absolutely brilliant at what he does, he makes it look SO simple too...

Mrs SA and Hidden
    I had an absolute ball despite the weather
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 23,325 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I think the weather has been pretty much dire everywhere today Trying very hard to resist putting on the central heating but 17 degrees when my comfortable temperature is 24 plus is not good

That aside, glad you had a blast
    Virtual Sealed Pot £612.20
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hey folks
    Another busy week
    Surveys are picking up again
    A couple of NSD's already this week too.

Hope to do a proper "Rambling" update tonight when I get home n settled

Hope you're all having a good one today
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi folks

It has been a very busy few weeks for me. Seems to have been just work, work, work...
    Thankfully, things are easing off now. A couple of major projects completed with one more in the pipeline with a completion date of May next year...

I have been doing well so far with my budgeting and have been picking up a fair wee bit on the surveys; PA has really picked up now the Universities and Colleges are back

However, had a really poor survey from someone at Cambridge that was really slow and not very responsive... it timed out on me
    My PC is NOT slow and I have good broadband... sent the researcher a message that politely said your interesting survey was a bit c**p due to poor programming of your survey... or something like that... I was nice about it, honest...

Anyway, made over a fiver just tonight

Me n the wee beastie are going great guns and I was very surprised to wake up Monday morning only a wee bit sore from the big ride on Sunday. Hoping to get a few more expeditions in before the winter comes in...

I'm chilling with a cuppa and a slice o cake (home-baked Victoria Sandwich it's Yummmy...)

Hope everyone has had a good one today.

Going visiting now

R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,673 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Pass over some cake and a cuppa

Glad everything is going well and you had a good time on the ride x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 13,558 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Feeling shattered after reading about your ride.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Have a slice o cake and a cuppa my friends
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    redofromstart
    More cake, excellent.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,673 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hi not sure if I'm on the right forum but here goes. My husband had a debt with Mnba who passed it to Arrow Global who in turn asked Reston Solictors to act on they behalf. We received a letter from the court and as my husband was self employed at the time and was on a low wage the judge agreeed for us to pay £1 per month off the £1900 debt. Reston then applied for a charging order on our property because the debt would take a long time to clear. We wrote to the land registry and court contesting this. We went to court and offered to up the payment to £5 as my husband is now in a paye job. The judhe gave us a few months to see if we could up the payment. When we returned to court neither the judge or the solicitor acting for Reston had any knowledge of the charging order! Plus the judge was in such a hurry he had no time to listen to our side of the story. We have now received a letter from the court saying we have to pay the full amount by 29th September we cannot afford to pay this and are worried as to what will happen next. We are paying £5 a month towards the debt but that is all we can afford. Can anyone please give us any advice?
    Originally posted by Eileenmoon
    If you go over to the main debt free wannabe board and create a new post you will get some helpful replies. This is US' diary so it won't get seen as much here.

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,673 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope all is well US and you enjoyed your cake

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 14th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Hi not sure if I'm on the right forum but here goes. My husband had a debt with Mnba who passed it to Arrow Global who in turn asked Reston Solictors to act on they behalf. We received a letter from the court and as my husband was self employed at the time and was on a low wage the judge agreeed for us to pay £1 per month off the £1900 debt. Reston then applied for a charging order on our property because the debt would take a long time to clear. We wrote to the land registry and court contesting this. We went to court and offered to up the payment to £5 as my husband is now in a paye job. The judhe gave us a few months to see if we could up the payment. When we returned to court neither the judge or the solicitor acting for Reston had any knowledge of the charging order! Plus the judge was in such a hurry he had no time to listen to our side of the story. We have now received a letter from the court saying we have to pay the full amount by 29th September we cannot afford to pay this and are worried as to what will happen next. We are paying £5 a month towards the debt but that is all we can afford. Can anyone please give us any advice?

yeah your gatecrashing someone else's diary post on the main board plenty of people will respond.
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £162.02 Survey Earnings YTD £485.18
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 14th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Hows the wee bestie is it brilliant having it back?
    Debts 16274.64
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hope you find the help and advice you need EileenMoon...
    I'm sure that if you wanted to join on this forum as a DFW diarist you would be made most welcome.
    I'm sorry that in essence you came to my door looking for help and I was unable to help you but my friends have given you good advice and I hope you can return and take it.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi redofromstart, Hidden and Scott

You'll always find tea n cake at my place

Scott, it is GREAT having my wee beastie back
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    It's FRIDAY YAY

Have a great day folks

Planning another bike adventure for this weekend... no idea where yet though
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I posted Eileenmoon's post onto the main DFW forum.
    Hopefully, they'll find an answer there

Nearly finishing time...
    Weekend is coming...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 11,929 Posts
    • 11,417 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I posted Eileenmoon's post onto the main DFW forum.
    Hopefully, they'll find an answer there

Nearly finishing time...
    Weekend is coming...
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Thanks.

I will forward to a new thread for them.

Dont usually trawl the diary threads, so missed that one.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 15-09-2017 at 2:34 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 15th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    It's FRIDAY YAY

Have a great day folks

Planning another bike adventure for this weekend... no idea where yet though
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Excellant thats what you want i am back upto 80-120 pw again now boyo is back down south. Going on a mini adventure in a bit
    Debts 16274.64
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I have cracked open a bottle of my "Uncanny Ale" after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning to see what it's like at the minimum recommended period...
    Oh my sweet gods of brewing.... tis absolutely lovely
    My gurus of brew are smiling and nodding and saying, "now my son, imagine how good it's going to be after another two weeks, eh?"
    Tests are showing it to be approx. 4.5% abv. It's a little darker than expected for what's supposed to be an amber ale, the taste is gorgeous... smooth, malty, caramel... mmmmm

Our Man wi a van can't transport us into the wilds this weekend unfortunately, so we are going out to play locally, which means we might end up somewhere in Ayrshire

Right, I'm off to watch more Walking Dead - Season 3 folks
    Have a lovely evening

R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

560Posts Today

4,974Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin