Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 746Posts
    • 4,469Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 12
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    In about three weeks time I will be paying my application fee and setting out on the sequestration trail.

Although I will be discharged from my sequestration/bankruptcy after a year, for the next four years I will have to make a manageable contributory payment via my IP/Trustee.
    My finances will be reviewed by my IP/Trustee every six-months. Generally, nothing really changes unless there are major changes to my finances and/or circumstances.
    The good thing is after the full process is done I will be debt free.
    I won't be able to obtain any credit for a long time but by then I hope to be canny enough with my money that it will not matter as I never want to use credit ever again.

Hope everyone has had a good day today
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 4th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Exciting times ahead UncannyScot. I hope everything goes the way you want it to.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 5th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Definitely exciting times

Hope you've had a good day x
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 5th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,868 Thanks
    another casualty
    Wow! I've managed to catchup on this fantastic thread .
    Great scot ( uncanny Scot ) You are doing an amazing job so far in your situation .
    What's the latest on the cat front ?
    Regarding your other half, the only thing I would say ( if it's ok ) is to step back and give yourself some space when things get tough .
    You need time to yourself and not be totally drained when you are rebuilding your life . I can't remember if she is living with you . If so, and you have a cat , you don't want the cat to see arguments etc.
    Sorry , but I'm too soft with animals .

I noticed you mentioned Chris Cornell and the like . The thing about him , is he looked to have the world at his feet .Good looking bloke / rock star looks etc. I saw soundgarden a few times back in the '80s and '90s . Last time at Hyde park with black sabbath a couple of years ago. With soundgarden (imho) is that they never did a complete album . There seem to be tracks that sound completely against the rest of a perfectly good album .
    They chose to play superunknown in its entirety . Should really have done a greatest hits package as a couple of songs n there would have anyone rushing for the Heroin I saw nirvana a couple of times , but found curt too whiney . Plus they too had lots of filler tracks .
    Can't believe I'm older than a lot of these grunge guys r I p .

Regarding bankruptcy : it annoys me when scary spice claims to be bankrupt when she clearly is not . ( I don't believe it anyway )
    Boris Becker ( new bills please ) . Martine somebody from eastenders
    ( depression again ) Daniela Westbrook / Kerry coketona
    Absolutely no sympathy for any of them . Dwight Yorker also ? Wtf
    So, sod them uncanny scot . You've done the hard part and I hope that things look up for you . You sound great .

Sorry for rambling on ...that's your job
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 5th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 9,020 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Couldn't agree with you more about celebrity bankruptcy, Another Casualty
    Uncanny Scot - I know you live in Glasgow. Have you heard of the Richmond Fellowship. They were a great help to my son when he was suffering like your lass. Might not suit everyone but maybe worth a look.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 5th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thank you everyone

Toni'sFriend Thanks, I have heard of them and I will follow up on that

Parsniphead & Hiddenidentity Exciting times indeed and I have had a great day today thanks

another casualty Thank you so much for taking time to read through my diary.
    I am of around the same ages as the Grunge Rock Gods so yeah it kinda hits hard when someone of similar age passes like that... Like you have seen many of them over the years several times, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Alice in Chains, Nirvana...

I am still without a cat unfortunately the difficulty is that where I live is not safe for an outdoor cat, so would need to be an indoor only cat and there are not many of them looking to be rehomed. The one lead that I had didn't work out unfortunately and the charity folks have not been back in touch since I updated them. Still looking though.

My lass and I do not co-habit and we do have our own space as it were. I can and do pull back when I need to and have breathing space for myself.

Celebrity bankruptcy, aye, totally agree with you all.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings (it is my job right enough AC )
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Focus, focus...
    Hiya folks...

Ok, I am trying to focus a bit on what am I actually doing to reduce my outgoings and control spending and build savings... bear with me, this could be a long one lol

OK so there are the essential outgoings that I cannot change, such as Rent and council tax etc
    The other outgoings that I have, bills, utilities etc well those can be looked at to see where savings can be made...

Reducing outgoings
    Gas and Leccy...

I have both with Scottish Gas and on pre-payment meters. The pros of which are, no bills,you pay for what you use. The cons are you pay more for it and cannot switch tariffs as folks on standard meters can...
    I have enquired about getting them removed and replaced with smart meters.
    However, have been advised that as I am going for the B I may have to just stick with them...

Multi-Media (TV, Broadband, Home Phone & Mobile)

I am with Virgin for all of them. TV, Broadband and Home Phone package at the moment is at a reduced rate (£35pm) this will change when the discounted period is up. Have already enquired regarding just broadband and phone as my TV has freeview and most of the channels I watch anyway... works out cheaper to stay on package i have as it is more expensive if I remove the TV part of the package
    I know I could get cheaper but the service provision from Virgin beats everyone else hands down... TalkTalk, Sky, BT etc cannot compete with Virgin on that basis...
    I will change package down a notch in November to keep it at £35pm or cheaper if I can get a better deal with them
    Mobile is good at £12pm on a sim only contract... not looking to change that any time soon

Shopping / Groceries

I shop at ALDI, LIDL, ASDA, Iceland, Farmfoods etc. I always go for the good cheap deals...
    As I am on my own I find it more economical to stock up weekly. I do however do a monthly freezer top-up shop. Think I'm doing OK on this one so far...

Clothes etc.

I shop at Primark and Matalan (and charity shops)
    I am not a fashionista, I shop practical for what I need. Don't spend an awful lot to be honest.
    However, ATM I need a couple of pair of jeans...

Saving Money

I have a Credit Union account This is my saving for a car account...

I have my £2 coin TARDIS... don't know whats in there atm... I get a £2 coin in my change and I stick in there...

Finders JAR (Roadkill). If I find anything while out and about then it goes in here... think I have in here, erm... twelvety!

I also have my other jars with 1ps, 2ps and 5ps and have in these, erm... twelvety?

I am trying to understand and recognise my spending habits. Keeping a spending diary is helping with this...
    So far I appear to be spending OK...
    I have asked a trusted friend to analyse it for me and she says it is very much a needs over wants diary...
    Says I spend less than her and she is a miserly bu gg er lol

OK so in summary I appear to be doing OK.
    If anyone can provide any pointers to further savings etc please, chip in

Off for a read with a cuppa tea n biccies

Thanks for reading
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 8th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    OK so in summary I appear to be doing OK.
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    This should be in summary I'm doing Amazing!!

You are doing way more than OK.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 26,746 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I think you're doing fantastically well. Can't see where you could improve really.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You are doing way, way more than ok. An inspiration.

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 9th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 18,436 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning UncannyScot,

Just caught up on your diary.

So pleased to hear that your lass is on the mend and I hope you both had a great few days away.

You're doing amazingly well x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7000.00 Cap 1: £493.40 BC: £5000.00

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thank you everyone

I am going to conduct my own monthly self-reviews to make sure that I am sticking to budgets etc.

Have had a lovely weekend with my lass, we didn't go away anywhere, just enjoyed each others company...

I am having a cuppa now and some choccy biccies and reading and saying hello to new folks.
    I do sometimes feel like the forums unofficial meet n greet spokesperson

R.I.P. T.P.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 9th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Glad you had a good weekend with your daughter.

Enjoy the biccies. This is a great place. If you have no one else there is always someone here. We have to look out for each other on here don't we?

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jul 17, 9:30 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Glad you had a good weekend with your daughter.

Enjoy the biccies. This is a great place. If you have no one else there is always someone here. We have to look out for each other on here don't we?
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    My lass = My Girlfriend not my daughter...

You're right though about this forum, we do have to look out for each other
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 09-07-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 9th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Oops sorry. I do get confused sometimes.

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Possible problemo...
    My wee mam has a joint account with me (basically an in trust account). I have not ever used this account, it is my mam's. She opened it with me as she wanted to be sure that when she goes that the remaining family would have no problems in accessing her estate.

What would happen to this account with my impending sequestration. It is not my money.
    Really, really concerned about this

Currently at work and will pick up any replies when I get home....
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 10th Jul 17, 6:03 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I have no idea, have you posted in the other board? Maybe they will be able to help? or ask CAB?
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Have posted on the Bankruptcy and living with it board...
    I am thinking that I need to get my name off the account but how can I do that without my mum knowing why? She doesn't know that I am applying for sequestration...

Just when I thought I had everything covered and ready to go...
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 10th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I really cant help however there will be an answer, please don't let it worry you too much! There's always a solution x
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,868 Thanks
    another casualty
    Have posted on the Bankruptcy and living with it board...
    I am thinking that I need to get my name off the account but how can I do that without my mum knowing why? She doesn't know that I am applying for sequestration...

Just when I thought I had everything covered and ready to go...
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    I doubt very much you'd be able to do it tbh . I could be wrong obviously . I would imagine you would both have to go through I d checks with the bank . If you used a solicitor , I would imagine the same .
    Before you do anything , I think you should step back , wait and assess your situation .
    As you know, you are doing brilliantly with the cards being dealt to you at this time . I would imagine your mother is well aware of your situation ( obviously we don't know how much you have actually told her/ how much you keep in contact etc ).
    One question : What is the worse that could happen if you told her
    about sequestration ? Good mothers are there for you st the end of th day . I don't know what it is, but you may have to tell her , if it directly affects her as well as you . It won't be easy .
    As others have mentioned, try c a b , which I thin you have done.

Hope this gets resolved and you can carry on making the good progress
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,528Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin