Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 134Posts
    • 121Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 5:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 13
    • mjtko
    • By mjtko 18th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mjtko
    I agree that, in general, buying all the discounted power packs is the best strategy.

I would add that if you're a low consumption user (expecting an outlay of less than ~£50 per month) then consider your consumption carefully before buying all future packs for a given month if they are offered at less than 20% discount levels (maximum of 5 available to purchase at £10 each).

My current prediction is that the >20% future packs I've bought (November through January up until now) will take me quite a distance into the subsequent, less well-discounted months.

All the currently offered future packs have over 23% discounts though, so it's an easy choice and easy to manage at the moment!
    Last edited by mjtko; 18-09-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typo
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 18th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Incorrect unit cost calculations???
    I noticed a feature on powershops website thus weekend that I didn't know was there
    If you choose the transactions tab and bill information it's hidden in there
    At the bottom your address appears with an arrow next to it pointing down. Click on this and a detailed monthly breakdown of your costs appears including at the bottom average unit price in pence per unit

Am I mistaken in saying this cost is calculated incorrectly. It is calculated by taking your monthly bill total and dividing it by the amount of units (kWh) you've used. Mine comes out at 13.53 for the last bill month which is more expensive than powershops quoted 13.5 pence per unit for their standard power

Surely the tariff cost of 16.6p per day should be taken into account. My last month (billing period) consisted of 34 days so unit cost works out as 11.15pence (a discount of 17.5%) if I take 34 days standing charge off the total cost.

The previous month works out as 11.21 pence for a 27 day month

My first month works out as 11.49 pence per unit for a 32 day month

This all seems quite reasonable to me.

So am I correct in stating powershop are doing themselves a disservice by overstating the unit cost of their power on their own website
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 18th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Yes, as per my opinion, The energy providers often do not disclose the best quotations to their customers and compel them to renew the contract by keeping them in the dark.My friend suggested me one online site for The energy bills problem can be easily solved with the aid of a professional energy consultancy service by Business Energy Quotes, Really Its very good.
    Thank you
    Originally posted by Eliza Smith
    There is absolutely no compulsion to renew a contract. No professional consultancy service is required. Just use a couple of free comparison websites, such as the MoneySavingExpert Cheap Energy Club which also provides cashback wherever possible.

Reported as spam.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 19th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Tafrock
    New power pack available at incredible discount
    Shiver me timbers has just been made available in the shop today until Saturday 23rd September

It has a massive 27.8 percent discount

Needless to say I'll be purchasing that one
    • Powershop UK
      Verified User verified user
    • By Powershop UK Verified User verified user 19th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Powershop UK
    Inclusive Unit Rate
    Good morning,

Thanks as always for your continued comments and observations!

Rather than being incorrect, the 'Unit rate' shown in the online account under 'Bill Information' is just an Inclusive unit price for the period shown. This takes into account all costs for supplying energy to the property during each billing cycle (including daily standing charge) and divides this by the amount of kWh used; this is why it displays a higher cost per kWh than expected.

Hope this is helpful!
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Powershop UK. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 19th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Thanks for clearing that up powershop rep. im glad I understood things correctly and my calculations are spot on.

Perhaps another column could be added to this cost breakdown factoring in the price once standing charge has been taken into account

I say this because all other utility companies quote pence per unit excluding the cost of the standing charge. By representing the unit cost inclusive of standing charge it gives an inflated figure which may be off putting for some customers. It can appear unit cost is higher than standard unit cost has been quoted at and may cause customers to query the cost or indeed leave for another company

I'm quite happy with powershop at the moment. 3 months in and my electricity is costing me a few pounds less than this time last year

Thanks again for the response
    • Powershop UK
      Verified User verified user
    • By Powershop UK Verified User verified user 19th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Powershop UK
    We appreciate the feedback Tafrock and can see the benefit of adding the effective price per kWh. It's definitely something we're considering adding to the customer account; watch this space!
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Powershop UK. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 19th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I shall watch this space closely. Thank you

PS quite impressed with today's special powerpack. 27.8 percent is a sizeable discount. Look forward to more of the same in future months. Keep up the good work
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 6th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Tafrock
    And the savings continue...
    Latest statement received today

For a 30 day month my unit cost works out at 10.81 pence per unit. That's pretty much what powershop promised I could achieve in my opening quote if I proactively bought the required powerpacks

It appears once you get the hang of which powerpacks to buy the stated savings are easily achievable

The key is only buying the power packs that have the biggest discounts and only buying enough electricity to cover your actual usage otherwise you end up with a hefty credit building up. I use between 30 and 35 pounds worth of electricity a month. If I buy all the monthly future packs that are available at the moment because they are discounted by over 23 per cent I actually buy 50 pounds worth of electricity thus adding to my balance monthly by 15 to 20 pounds.

Very impressed with powershop I must say
    • griffb
    • By griffb 6th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    griffb
    @ Tafrock I think you have convinced me

My expiring fix with Avro came out at £750 (6700kwh). Their current fix would be £850 on that usage, not actually as bad as it looks, of the "conventional" tariffs only Iresa are promising a significant saving on that, with a few more showing savings of £15-£20.

Powershop give me figures of £963 (Standard), £930 (Promise) and £783 (Powerpacks), which even beats Iresa by £34. So I'm thinking I should be able to beat Avro's £850 fairly easily, after which it's all "profit". Unless Powershop's Standard Rate increases of course......hmmmm, now the doubts are creeping back
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 7th Oct 17, 7:01 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Thank you. Of course if the svr did increase then that would change everything. However you are free to leave at any time without paying an exit fee. I've always opted for a fixed rate but took the plunge and went variable and im impressed. Of course being variable it could also decrease which is never a bad thing
    • mjtko
    • By mjtko 7th Oct 17, 9:38 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mjtko
    @Tafrock: thanks for your post, very useful information! How did you calculate your pence per unit? I've just calculated mine (for August-September billing period though, I haven't had my September-October bill through yet) and it works out at 12.92p per unit (incorporating the daily charge) or 11.10p per unit if I remove the daily charge first.

(My summary was: 32 days, £35.97, 277kWh - the power-pack discount was stated as £6.78 which is achieving a discount of ~15.85%. My daily charge is 15.76p/day.)

I'll post cost calculations again once I get my September-October bill.

The key is only buying the power packs that have the biggest discounts and only buying enough electricity to cover your actual usage otherwise you end up with a hefty credit building up. I use between 30 and 35 pounds worth of electricity a month. If I buy all the monthly future packs that are available at the moment because they are discounted by over 23 per cent I actually buy 50 pounds worth of electricity thus adding to my balance monthly by 15 to 20 pounds.
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    You appear to have a similar consumption/spend pattern to mine. However, I'm buying up all the monthly future packs when they have a discount > 20%. This means that i am adding to my balance monthly by £15-20 but once the monthly future pack discount is < 20%, I should have enough "in the bank" to cover (some of) those months without needing to buy less well-discounted packs. Or is that what you're saying you're doing?

No idea how this strategy will work out yet!
    Last edited by mjtko; 07-10-2017 at 9:39 AM. Reason: Corrected bad quote trimming!
    • mjtko
    • By mjtko 7th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mjtko
    @Tafrock: I just read back and reread your earlier posts. I see you already mentioned how you're performing your calculations and they closely match mine!

Sorry, must have missed that first time round!
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 7th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    What is the lowest the advanced 'saver' powerpack discounts have gone?

I can see February at the moment at 23.7% which is slightly better than Dec/Jan (and I think Nov, but I brought all of Nov to build up my credit).

I'm estimated to be in credit all the way to Feb - so I'm thinking of buying £50 of the Feb one and sacrificing what I could still buy from Dec/Jan, which is (only) 0.3% less discount than Feb.

As you have until the end of the penultimate month to purchase (e.g. 30/11 for the Jan one), I'll wait until November to see what March's discount is as it should come online on 1/11. If March is less than 23.4%, then it may be worth buying all of Feb and possibly a few of Jan too - if it's 23.4% again, then can wait another month before buying Feb 23.7% (until 31/12), and can continue to ignore Jan.

From 1/12 to 31/12 can see if it's worth buying February's (which I assume it will be, unless March & April discount is something silly like 25%+ in both months) or whether to ignore Feb and buy March instead (based on April continuing to be in the mid 20's).

Presumably higher users (e.g. people with electric heating??) just buy the entire £50 advanced powerpacks. I'm trying to build enough credit for if the powerpack discount does drop < 20% I don't need to worry, but not too much (as the credit can be better spent or invested in something else!). I guess if there was a prolonged period of 'low' discount advanced powerpacks (say just at 10%?) then I'd be worse off - but by looking 60 days ahead and trying to gauge the newly advertised month, hopefully can mitigate any drop (assuming it's gradual at say 23% then 21% would give cause for concern, and doesn't go from 23.4% one month straight to 11% the next!)
    Last edited by Somerset La La La; 07-10-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    Ex-Bankrupt, Discharged 09/2015
    Capital One - Jul 2016, £3,750 Never ending 0%....
    Aqua Reward (0.5% Cashback) - Nov 2016 - £1,950
    Vanquis Chrome 24.7% - July 2017, £1,000
    Car Loan - Sept 2017 - £15k outstanding, early settlement = £10k....
    Rebuild for Mortgage (10/2018)
    • mjtko
    • By mjtko 7th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mjtko
    What is the lowest the advanced 'saver' powerpack discounts have gone?
    Originally posted by Somerset La La La
    Having joined during June-July 2017, I have data for August 2017 and later future packs only:

August: 12.8%
    September: 13.6%
    October: 14.5%
    November: 23.5%
    December: 23.4%
    January: 23.4%
    February: 23.7%

As above, my advice would be to buy all the packs (if you can afford them!) while the discounts are > 20%.

There is anecdotal evidence that Powershop don't require you to do this though, and will "fix" your discounts by offering you larger discounts on the monthly/special powerpacks instead, though my suspicion is that this will only work in the customer's favour if Powershop have a very accurate read of your consumption as these packs will offer a specific amount of kWh to cover your projected usage.

HTH!
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 7th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Thank you! Wow, yes Aug to October looks very low!

Yes I think I will have to buy the whole lot that are available!! I've got a ridiculously expensive car loan I'm trying to overpay - but potentially 10% difference in energy prices is significant enough to redistribute the funds into Powershop credit!

(plus it is only £50 p/m afterall, so not going to make the biggest financial difference where I pay the car or not - it's the moral feeling of knowing I've squeezed every penny I like!!!)
    Ex-Bankrupt, Discharged 09/2015
    Capital One - Jul 2016, £3,750 Never ending 0%....
    Aqua Reward (0.5% Cashback) - Nov 2016 - £1,950
    Vanquis Chrome 24.7% - July 2017, £1,000
    Car Loan - Sept 2017 - £15k outstanding, early settlement = £10k....
    Rebuild for Mortgage (10/2018)
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 11,557 Posts
    • 15,157 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Highlighting is mine.

<snipped for brevity>
    Behave now! That's not exactly rewarding our transparency. On a serious note, previous customers addresses and emails are stored as long as is legally allowable
    <snipped for brevity>
    Originally posted by Powershop UK
    And exactly how long is that?
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 7th Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Tafrock
    @mjtko
    Your buying strategy exactly mirrors mine. At the beginning of my powershop experience I purchased all powerpacks regardless of the discount. However now I only buy packs with discounts in excess of 20 per cent. Due to my over purchasing at the outset I am now £150 in credit with unused August September and October as well as a small quantity of jumbo powerpacks sitting unused in my account. I assume the discounts will eventually drop below 20 per cent for the monthly future packs. At that point I will not purchase the advance packs and use these banked powerpacks

My power packs to be used this month are all November powerpacks at 23.4 per cent discount and the small appetiser pack at 28 per cent discount hence I expect my unit rate to be the lowest since I commenced my powershop experience and this month was an excellent 10.81p per kWh. My annual usage is approximately 3218 kwh
    Last edited by Tafrock; 07-10-2017 at 8:49 PM.
    • mjtko
    • By mjtko 9th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mjtko
    @Tafrock: I did the same and am currently about £120 in credit, with unused August and September future packs, a partially unused Jumbo pack (which I needed during my first month to avoid buying a standard pack) and around £9 in a couple of unused low-discount special packs ("Quick Fix Special" and "In The Money Pack"). I am hopeful that I will get the opportunity to get these refunded on my anniversary if they haven't been consumed by then.

My annual usage is approx 3551 kWh. My billing months run to 9th/10th so I'll find out tomorrow exactly what my rate was for September-October, and the predicted pack usage for October-November (which I suspect will be 100% November future packs).
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 12th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    MrChips
    I've just applied to move my electricity supply to Powershop as my deal with GB Energy is coming to an end. Trying to get up to speed on how to get the best out of it as the pricing is not conventional!

Where you refer to discounts (i.e. 20% discount) is this relative to the Powershop standard pricing? Also is it a discount to the unit price only, or to the daily charge too?

Thanks!
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,536Users online

Martin's Twitter