Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 110Posts
    • 30Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 5:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 12
    • Powershop UK
      Verified User verified user
    • By Powershop UK Verified User verified user 14th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Powershop UK
    October Packs Query
    Hi Boohoo!

The Future Powerpacks are always available for you to purchase two months in advance (so the October ones are no longer showing). Various Special Powerpacks will be available for you to cover any October usage on the first calendar day of the month so you shouldn't need to worry about having to pay Standard rates!

Hope this helps.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Powershop UK. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 14th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Hi Boohoo!

The Future Powerpacks are always available for you to purchase two months in advance (so the October ones are no longer showing). Various Special Powerpacks will be available for you to cover any October usage on the first calendar day of the month so you shouldn't need to worry about having to pay Standard rates!

Hope this helps.

Thank you for that reply.
    At least that's one less thing to worry about.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 16th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Anyone know if Powershop actually report to CRAs? Their website suggests they will/may.

Would be handy for me if they did!

I've been with them a short while now, find it fairly straightforward, and have got all 5 of November's packs and so far 1 for December (bought too early, I'll wait next time!), which seem to cover me all through the winter.

One thing I'm wondering is that I'm being told for example the November Future Pack is discounted by 23.5% and is worth £13. And I can buy it at £10.

So far so good....

But what if the price of electricity, say, doubles. Or halves.....

Is it £13 of whatever the price is on that day/month in future? Or buying whatever £13 works out to in kwh at today's price, and using those kws later on??

Also rather strangely my energy prediction for next August is £22.... my energy prediction this November/December period is £21!!
    Ex-Bankrupt, Discharged 09/2015
    Cap1 Platinum - Jul 2016, £3,500.... Consolidation game! + £500
    Aqua Reward (0.5% Cashback) - Nov 2016 - £1,950
    Vanquis Chrome 24.7% (rare use, want high limit reported) - July 2017, £1,000
    Drafty (Reports as a credit card!) - £300
    Rebuild for Mortgage (10/2018)
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    Hengus
    Anyone know if Powershop actually report to CRAs? Their website suggests they will/may.

Would be handy for me if they did!

I've been with them a short while now, find it fairly straightforward, and have got all 5 of November's packs and so far 1 for December (bought too early, I'll wait next time!), which seem to cover me all through the winter.

One thing I'm wondering is that I'm being told for example the November Future Pack is discounted by 23.5% and is worth £13. And I can buy it at £10.

So far so good....

But what if the price of electricity, say, doubles. Or halves.....

Is it £13 of whatever the price is on that day/month in future? Or buying whatever £13 works out to in kwh at today's price, and using those kws later on??

Also rather strangely my energy prediction for next August is £22.... my energy prediction this November/December period is £21!!
    Originally posted by Somerset La La La
    Powershop only has one tariff. If you buy £13s worth of electricity for £10, then the £13 is used to offset the cost of the electricity you have bought at Powershop’s standard variable rate at the time of use. If the standard variable tariff increases by, say, 20% in November then you will get less electricity for your £13. That said, Powershop has to give you notice of any increase, and you can switch without penalty.

From the terms and conditions:

a We may change our prices and fees, change or remove benefits, change the way we charge for gas and electricity or change these terms and conditions. If we increase our prices or fees or make any other change to the terms of this agreement which disadvantages you, we will tell you about the changes at least 30 days before they begin to apply. If you do not accept the changes, you may end this agreement and change supplier.

Estimates of future energy use are, at best, a guess. Suppliers do not have a crystal ball. For example, my wife and I have been away for 10 days. Now we are back at home, the Powershop App is telling me that I am using about 3kWhs a day more than the computer thinks that I should be using. The App is also under estimating my Winter usage.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Cra?
    Originally posted by Somerset La La La
    What is the CRA?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    Hengus
    CRA - credit reference agency?

Interestingly, 98 days in with 515kWhs consumed my cost of energy consumed compared to the price paid shows a modest saving of 14.69%. None of this was purchased at the standard rate.
    Last edited by Hengus; 16-09-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Carbon Ratings Agency?
    I googled CRA and came up with Carbon Ratings Agency - I wonder if it's that?
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 16th Sep 17, 11:26 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Sorry - yes, I mean Credit Rating Agencies. Has anyone got their powershop account conduct on their credit file?

I don't even think they credit searched me at signup, which is usually an excuse suppliers use to stop me getting a good deal... too much of a risk etc.

Carbon Ratings Agency is a good guess and sounds relevant, but sadly not!!
    • Essexuser
    • By Essexuser 17th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Essexuser
    Just considering changing power supplier and on checking on a comparison website it would appear that Powershop could save me circa £200 per year. Having done a bit of research, including reading through the very informative posts on this thread and being intrinsically lazy, the question I pose is this: The quoted saving of £200 appears to be achieved merely by using the Powershop standard rate and not having to concern myself continuinally worrying about buying Powerpacks. Could one of the obviously knowedgeable members on this forum confirm this is the case?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    Hengus
    Just considering changing power supplier and on checking on a comparison website it would appear that Powershop could save me circa £200 per year. Having done a bit of research, including reading through the very informative posts on this thread and being intrinsically lazy, the question I pose is this: The quoted saving of £200 appears to be achieved merely by using the Powershop standard rate and not having to concern myself continuinally worrying about buying Powerpacks. Could one of the obviously knowedgeable members on this forum confirm this is the case?
    Originally posted by Essexuser
    Powershop gives the impression on comparison sites that it offers 3 tariffs: Easy Saver; Easy Saver Promise and its Standard Variable Tariff. In truth, there is only one tariff: the standard variable tariff. However, there is what equates to a fixed term contract offer (The Easy Saver Promise). For the FIRST year only, if you do not buy any power packs then, at the end of the year, Powershop will credit your account to the Easy Saver Promise price. To get this price, you have to stay with Powershop for 12 months. You can leave at anytime without an exit fee but you will end up paying for the energy at the standard variable rate (unless you have purchased any discounted packs). I buy discounted packs. If I had transferred to a new supplier on the 31st August, then I would have paid £74.04 for £86.79 worth of energy.

Note: some comparison sites such as Which Switch show Easy Saver as a tariff. Sensibly, imho, MSE CEC does not. It only lists The Easy Saver Promise and the Standard Variable Tariff. All the statements that I receive are based on the variable tariff. Charges are offset by using discounted packs. For example, if I buy a pack worth £11.50 for £10 then I pay Powershop £10. When this pack is applied to my account, the value applied is £11.50. I hope that makes sense?
    • Essexuser
    • By Essexuser 17th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Essexuser
    Thanks for that. I based my assumption on the fact that the daily unit rate and standing charge are both less than my current supplier so that if I just bought electricity from Powershop at those rates, I would achieve the quoted saving (assuming of course that my usage was the same). On that basis any savings made from purchasing discounted packs would be in addition to the standard variable tariff daily unit rate/standing charge savings.

If that is the case I think I will give Powershop a try.
    • wakeupalarm
    • By wakeupalarm 17th Sep 17, 1:14 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    wakeupalarm
    Powershop gives the impression on comparison sites that it offers 3 tariffs: Easy Saver; Easy Saver Promise and its Standard Variable Tariff. In truth, there is only one tariff: the standard variable tariff. However, there is what equates to a fixed term contract offer (The Easy Saver Promise). For the FIRST year only, if you do not buy any power packs then, at the end of the year, Powershop will credit your account to the Easy Saver Promise price. To get this price, you have to stay with Powershop for 12 months. You can leave at anytime without an exit fee but you will end up paying for the energy at the standard variable rate (unless you have purchased any discounted packs). I buy discounted packs. If I had transferred to a new supplier on the 31st August, then I would have paid £74.04 for £86.79 worth of energy.

Note: some comparison sites such as Which Switch show Easy Saver as a tariff. Sensibly, imho, MSE CEC does not. It only lists The Easy Saver Promise and the Standard Variable Tariff. All the statements that I receive are based on the variable tariff. Charges are offset by using discounted packs. For example, if I buy a pack worth £11.50 for £10 then I pay Powershop £10. When this pack is applied to my account, the value applied is £11.50. I hope that makes sense?
    Originally posted by Hengus
    So if there is only 1 tariff, which as far as I can see is variable rate. What happens if they increase the price of their SVR tariff.

They have no exit fee so you can leave but if you left before your 1 year was up you would lose the easy saver promise?

How much can you save percentage wise over the course of the year?
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 17th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Assuming the same limits are applied to everyone (??) the biggest savers are likely to be small households like me. As just buy the 25% packs, and the tiny 28% pack... then hope the standard price doesn't rise massively. I've only bought 5 x advance packs and I'm virtually covered well into the new year.

It's the first couple of months that are the most expensive as mentioned above, as there's no ability to buy an advance pack for the first 2 periods (but you can still get in-month packs)

I'm estimated to use 3500 kwh over the next year according to my powershop bill / 'account review' that arrived yesterday.

I can't imagine it'll be as good a deal for say a 4 person household using 15k over the next year - although there is still potential for saving if you're on an expensive plan at the moment, depending on your needs/preferences, there are likely to be cheaper fixed tariffs.

I've done a comparison with a friend, and we opted against joining them to PowerShop, as a 10 month fix elsewhere worked out cheaper for their high usage, plus cashback, and the ability to switch away again in 9 months hopefully before the set of prices hikes for next winter, and gain even more cashback
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    Hengus
    So if there is only 1 tariff, which as far as I can see is variable rate. What happens if they increase the price of their SVR tariff.

They have no exit fee so you can leave but if you left before your 1 year was up you would lose the easy saver promise?

How much can you save percentage wise over the course of the year?
    Originally posted by wakeupalarm
    If they increase their tariff, then they will give you notice. If you stay for 12 months, then my understanding is that the Easy Saver Promise that you signed up to will still apply. This is what it said when I signed up:

Promotion Terms and Conditions:

The Easy Saver Promise works out the maximum annual cost of your electricity with Powershop over the next year at your property based on the standing daily charge (£/day) and unit rate (£/kWh) and the usage information you provided. You can beat your Easy Saver Promise price by buying Powerpacks to make savings versus our standard rate.

The Easy Saver Promise offer does not apply if within a year of becoming a customer: (A) you switch away from Powershop or move to a new property supplied by Powershop; (B) at the time we calculate any difference owed on your Easy Saver Promise, you owe Powershop more than £100 which is at least 60 days overdue (whether on this property or another property).
    Last edited by Hengus; 17-09-2017 at 1:45 PM.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 17th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    fewkeste
    A simplified explanation
    You are correct in your assumption. You can sign up and do nothing and Powershop will buy Standard Power on your behalf to cover your consumption every billing period (once a month). Or, you could save up to about 20% of your annual Powershop bill by buying discounted chunks of credit when it is made available.

The best way to understand the Powershop way of doing things is to think of how Pay as you go mobile phones work. You have a ‘pot’ which is credited with money and that pot is used to pay your bill each month. If you do nothing, Powershop will buy sufficient credit to put into that pot every month to pay your bill.

Alternatively, you can buy discounted credit yourself to put into that pot and save money. So, in the example Hengus quoted you spend £10 and actually get £11.50 worth of credit put into your pot – i.e. £1.50 free money. In the best examples you could spend £50 and get over £65 worth of credit in your pot – £15 worth of free money.

To get this discount you would have to buy the credit two or three months in advance. For example, buying £50 of credit now for use in the December/January period will get you £65.25 worth of credit to put into your pot. Does that make sense? You’re offered the opportunity to pre-pay a chunk of money towards your future bills and are given extra credit into your pot for doing so.

In the above example spend £50 and get an extra £15.25 put into your pot - £15.25 of free credit towards your bill for the December/January billing period.
    • Essexuser
    • By Essexuser 17th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Essexuser
    Thanks very much for the explanation fewkeste, it's clarified the position for me (I knew I'd get some useful info from the forum).

Just one point arising from your explanation, how accurate do you have to be in your forward planning/estimating. Put another way, if I did summon the energy to forward buy power, e.g using your example of buying £62.5 worth of power for £50 for use in December/January, what happens if I don't use all that power in the relevant months, i.e. what happens to the unused credit?

Thanks in advance for the very helpful explanations.
    Last edited by Essexuser; 17-09-2017 at 5:12 PM. Reason: Remove typo
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 17th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Unused credit just rolls over to the next period. Unused credit does not disappear into the ether. If you ever decide to leave Powershop they will refund any unused credit.
    • Essexuser
    • By Essexuser 17th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Essexuser
    Thanks for that confirmation. I think I have enough now to give them a ring in the morning.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 17th Sep 17, 10:50 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    fewkeste
    More in-depth advice
    Thanks very much for the explanation fewkeste, it's clarified the position for me (I knew I'd get some useful info from the forum).

Just one point arising from your explanation, how accurate do you have to be in your forward planning/estimating. Put another way, if I did summon the energy to forward buy power, e.g using your example of buying £62.5 worth of power for £50 for use in December/January, what happens if I don't use all that power in the relevant months, i.e. what happens to the unused credit?

Thanks in advance for the very helpful explanations.
    As neilsedaka has indicated you never lose left over credit. It just sits in your pot waiting to be put towards your next bill. You then have opportunities throughout the month to buy discounted credit to top your pot up ready for the next bill. If you buy too much it doesn’t matter – it sits in your pot until the next but one bill. If you buy too little, when it’s billing time Powershop will automatically top your pot up for you.

Without an account to view and use, it must be very strange for a potential customer to understand what is going on, but once you have an account it all becomes clear. There are some demo videos on YouTube.

You can manage your account online via their website or via an app on a smartphone. I know the Powershop Android app is very good (I assume the Apple one is as well) and you can download the app before your account goes live if you have a smartphone. This is a good thing to do because there is a demo mode on the app which is quite useful and it will familiarise you with the different parts of the app before your account goes live.

In some respects the app is better than the website – it actually tells you the amount in credit or owing for each month/billing period in real pounds whereas the website indicates how many days you have pre-paid by colouring them green in a calendar displayed on the website. You don’t need the app if you have a tablet, laptop or PC but the app is a very useful additional thing to have. You could in theory run your entire account just with the app – it does everything you need to do.

Also when I was a new customer I visited the website every day to see what ‘discount deals’ were available (the Powershop term is Powerpacks or Special Packs) but that’s not necessary as you become more familiar with the systems and learn roughly when the discount deals will appear each month – you very quickly learn/understand the timings and pattern of deals.

Once you understand how to run your account it takes minimal effort to keep on top of things and get great discounts on buying your power. As a general rule, the further in advance you buy power, the greater the discount you get. Hopefully other newish customers will post on here to confirm how easy it is to run your account once you understand how it works and what little effort it takes.

The best advice I can give is to invest time to read this thread from beginning to end – it answers a lot of queries a new customer might have.

You will see in my early days I and others posed the same questions as you and many other potential customers ask and now ‘I get it’ and consider myself a confident user of the system and I only went live on 30th June this year.

Good luck and enjoy saving money.
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 17th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    As a new customer it took me a while to fully understand how Powershop works. Now I realise that I did not need to be concerned. If you join, to keep it simple, I recommend that you buy all of the discounted Powerpacks that are offered to you over at least the first 2-3 months. That's it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,893Posts Today

6,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin