Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ginger tosser
    • By ginger tosser 20th Apr 17, 11:45 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ginger tosser
    Early repayment of help to buy.
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:45 PM
    Early repayment of help to buy. 20th Apr 17 at 11:45 PM
    Hi

We are looking at HTB with a 55% deposit, 25% mortgage (minimum allowed) and 20% HTB equity loan. We actually have enough saved for a 70% deposit.
    My question is, if we repaid the mortgage from the left over savings (plus a bit more hard work saving) within the first 5 years can we carry on just paying the 1.75%+ fee for the next 20 years or does the HTB equity have to be redeemed at the same time as the mortgage?
Page 1
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 21st Apr 17, 12:26 AM
    • 634 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    glosoli
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:26 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:26 AM
    I know it's not an answer to your question and perhaps demonstates my naiveity regarding help to buy but why would you bother with it when you have over a 50% deposit to put down?

I just assumed it was for people who could just about scrape together a 5 to 10% deposit.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 21st Apr 17, 1:44 AM
    • 31,943 Posts
    • 17,072 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:44 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:44 AM
    No. The HTB loan cannot remain if the mortgage is repaid.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin