Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brymbo76
    • By brymbo76 20th Apr 17, 11:13 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    brymbo76
    Have you switched or would you consider switching to slower Broadband to save money?
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:13 PM
    Have you switched or would you consider switching to slower Broadband to save money? 20th Apr 17 at 11:13 PM
    My current Broadband & Phone package is BT Infinity 1 (52MB) & Weekend Calls.
    This costs 23 a month for Broadband and either 44.49 for Monthly Line Rental or you can pay 12 months Line Rental upfront (Line rental saver) costing 205.08 for the year (working out as 17.09 a month) or pay monthly Line Rental saver costing 25.50 a month.
    So altogether I would be paying for the one-off Line Rental saver plus 12 monthly payments of 23 for broadband a total of 205.08 + 276 = 481.08.
    Does anyone still think this is way excessive for 12 months Line Rental and Broadband?
    I hardly use my Landline but I do find it useful to keep it.

I only really use Broadband for general internet surfing but sometimes occasionally for Catch-Up TV and Internet Radio though not all at the same time which makes me think that a 17MB Broadband speed package should suffice.

Has anyone ever downgraded their Broadband for a slower speed to save some money?
    If so, what was the outcome?
    Was your speed sufficient?
    Did you still get a good customer service from your new provider?
    And who would you recommend?
    I am considering TenTel, Origin, TalkTalk or SSE for one of their 17MB Unlimited Data packages.
    Hope to hear some thoughts back from some of you.
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • brymbo76
    • By brymbo76 21st Apr 17, 7:25 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    brymbo76
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:25 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:25 AM
    I forgot to mention, I did get through to the retentions department when I was on the phone with them last night.
    They did offer me a reduced rate of 18 a month for broadband but that's only a saving of 60 a year. Would you accept this offer or just go ahead and leave BT and switch to a slower broadband provider.
    Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.
    Thanks.
    • Scrounger
    • By Scrounger 21st Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Scrounger
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    Why don't you move over to Plusnet Fibre 38Mb Unlimited - Equiv 20.42/month.

You can use your existing BT router (just update the login details).

It works for me.

Scrounger
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 21st Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    I've never had fibre myself but my usage is similar to yours and it's more than quick enough. That said I'm near to the exchange so you'd have to check what your estimate would be first.

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/postcode_checker/

35.09 a month for BT fibre or 18.99 for Sky ADSL for new customers. Only you can decide
    • brymbo76
    • By brymbo76 21st Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    brymbo76
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    The only problem is going to be about leaving BT is that is that I would be having to set up a gmail email account because once I leave BT, I believe my BT Yahoo Mail account would eventually close unless I pay to keep just my email account open which I believe is 5 a month.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 21st Apr 17, 2:00 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:00 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:00 PM
    anything over 400 a year is excessive.

Should be targeting 350 a year or less if you want to move yearly
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 21st Apr 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:34 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:34 PM
    Get mine for free so no need to move.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 21st Apr 17, 7:21 PM
    • 7,489 Posts
    • 4,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:21 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:21 PM
    [QUOTE=brymbo76;72432542

I only really use Broadband for general internet surfing but sometimes occasionally for Catch-Up TV and Internet Radio though not all at the same time which makes me think that a 17MB Broadband speed package should suffice.

[/QUOTE]

As the up to 17 Mbps is an umbrella figure for anything from 2Mbps upwards, suitability would depend on what you actually get.

Since going from Sky to PlusNet our speed has dropped from 6+ to under 5 but it works fine for everyday use 9up to two laptops) and was ok for catchup when we used the Smart tv before going back to Sky tv.

A few months ago, I used my son's Sky fibre for the first time and, as I wasn't streaming, noticed little difference from our PlusNet ADSL speed.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    phillw
    • 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    Originally posted by brymbo76
    I did switch to a slower service to save money.

A couple of years ago I had 50mb/s virgin cable, which was pretty amazing speed wise. I switched back to adsl and got rid of my tv license. My TV+phone+broadband went from 50 a month to 5 a month. My up to 17mb/s gets around 2mb/s & if I try to watch catch up while doing anything online then it interrupts the programme.

The worst problem is when windows 10 decides it's going to start doing updates, as I have found nothing that will stop it using your entire bandwidth. It has bandwidth limits, but they are stupidly based on your wifi speed and not your broadband speed. I often end up putting laptops in flight mode or just turning them off. I was using the windows insider updates for a while and once a week it would download 4gb and it would take priority over any other network activity, it had an uncanny knack of knowing when I wanted to use the internet.

Things have slightly changed as legally I had to get a tv license for watching iplayer. So I am paying for that now & I'm watching most tv on a youview box that I bought from ebay, of course I need to setup series links for things before they are on to get the most benefit (I can't do scheduled watching of tv & watching live tv is mostly a waste of time).

After windows 10 creators update came out, I came off windows insider so no more 4gb downloads for a while.

This has solved most of the regular problems I had with a slow internet. If my adsl was 17mb/s then I wouldn't think about cable/fibre again, I keep an eye out but I don't think I could justify it unless it was less than 10 a month.
    Last edited by phillw; 17-05-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 17th May 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    I moved from BT to Plusnet a couple of months ago. BT wouldn't move from charging me 45 per month for FTTC including phone line so I moved to Plusnet which meant a downgrade of speed from 52 to around 34 MBPS. As I am a light user I have not noticed any difference and now pay 34-14 including any time calls which also includes free mobile calls which BT's any time calls did not so my savings are about 15 per month.
    The main thing you need to consider is the upload speed which has now dropped from 10 to 2MBPS.
    The switch was really smooth, apart from BT messing up my final bill which has now been sorted and I am more than satisfied. (I also got 70 cashback from TCB).
    • jessicamiller75
    • By jessicamiller75 17th May 17, 2:37 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jessicamiller75
    I also moved away from a faster speed to Virgin basic only broadband + phone and started paying 32 as I don't really need or use 200MB. So I will be paying around 38 per year and saving more than 120 a year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

3,623Users online

Martin's Twitter