Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vman1977
    • By vman1977 20th Apr 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    vman1977
    Recently refused Halifax ppi claim.
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:29 PM
    Recently refused Halifax ppi claim. 20th Apr 17 at 9:29 PM
    Just had a letter back from halifax regarding my ppi claim on a credit card. Stating that they do not believe that they mis sold me ppi.
    Could anyone be able to help or lead me in the right direction before i contact them again.

The decision breakdown for my complaint as follows

Eligibillity Concerns: There findings: I can see from my status at the time of sale that you were eligible for the PPI policy you bought.

Suitability Concerns: my understanding of your concern: You were not asked if you had excisting means of protecting the account.
    you were not asked if the PPI policy was suited for you.
    Halifax findings: Iv'e looked back to consider your circumstances at the point of sale taking into account any additional information supplied with your complaint i've considered all aspects of suitability and not just those raised by you in complaint.

Summary of suitability findings.
    Savings: you didn't have savings which could have protected the payments on the card.
    Employee Benefits: you had some employee benefits which could have protected the payments of your card however these were not sufficiant.
    Changes in circumstances: From our records these were no foreseeeble events at the time of sale which would have affected the sutability of the policy.
    Exclusions: The information i hold about your circumstances when you bought your PPI policy showed you were not signifiicantly affected by any of the exclusions or limitations.
    level of cover:Level of cover provided was appropriate for your needs.
    Affordability:From the information available, there's not enough evidence to show that you were not able to afford your PPI at time of sale.Having revied the above points individually as well as assessing your complaint as a whole, i believe your PPI policy was suitible, i believe your decison to buy the PPI policy would not have changed.
    Policy features andlimitations concerns:My undererstanding of your concern that you were not provided with some or all the required written documents.
    Halifax findings: With reference to your PPI policy i have considered all the evidence alvailable to me, including the infomation that you have provided, I believe it to be more likely than not that the policy features and limitations were verbally explained to you and you were provided with the appropriate documentation in good time before the sale was concluded.

I disagree with the employee benefits.. I get full pay for 6 moths if i go sick, I would have got a substainable amount of made redundent.
    I took out a ppi witha loan with barclays near that time and recieved a refund on same basis, I aslo recieved a cheque from halifax out of the blue a couple years ago on another ppi i took out with them on a loan without even applying for a claim.
    So could anyone help in what i s!!!!!d say or do next as i am not happy with there decison.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Apr 17, 9:37 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:37 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:37 PM
    i am not happy with there decison.
    Originally posted by vman1977
    You will have been provided with an Ombudsman referral leaflet with your rejection letter. However, nothing you have said leads me to believe the Ombudsman will overturn the decision.

The Bank did not dispute that you had 6months sick pay entitlement, they simply disagreed that this was sufficient.

The result of other PPI complaints is completely irrelevant.

No redundancy payment is ever certain and the likelihood of one will not net you a PPI refund, I'm afraid.

Basically, you provided a very weak complaint which has been rejected. Your only recourse now is to refer the complaint to the Ombudsman, but the result of this is far from certain.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Apr 17, 9:48 PM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,967 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:48 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:48 PM
    I disagree with the employee benefits.. I get full pay for 6 moths if i go sick, I would have got a substainable amount of made redundent.
    The ombudsman has rejected complaints where people have had 12 months sick pay.

I took out a ppi witha loan with barclays near that time and recieved a refund on same basis, I aslo recieved a cheque from halifax out of the blue a couple years ago on another ppi i took out with them on a loan without even applying for a claim.
    And was the Barclays one sold under the same advice process, some product type and same person as Halifax? No. For all we know, the Barclays one could be an auto-payout.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • vman1977
    • By vman1977 21st Apr 17, 1:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vman1977
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:16 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:16 PM
    Thanks for replies. They advise you to talk to the bank first to try to sort out any differences before contacting ombudsman.So are you lot saying i shouldn't bother as my arguement is weak. I felt at the the time that it was advised to me to take out the PPI regardless of my situation to protect me and encouraged that it was the right decision.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 21st Apr 17, 2:03 PM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,967 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:03 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:03 PM
    Your reasons are weak but we dont have access to the audit trail and documentation. We are only going by your interpretation and how you have presented it here. You could go on to succeed at the FOS on something that you havent mentioned.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin