Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • halfajack
    • By halfajack 20th Apr 17, 9:24 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 6Thanks
    halfajack
    Home insurance claim frequency
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:24 PM
    Home insurance claim frequency 20th Apr 17 at 9:24 PM
    For the first time in six years of home ownership, I made a claim on my home insurance. We had a leak from the flat above into our bathroom which, as far as we could see, resulted in a bit of mould on the ceiling in one corner. We were starting bathroom renovations recently and the builders discovered the damage to the ceiling was very bad and required a complete replacement rather than a scrape and patch up job and cost more, of course. I made the call to my insurance provider and the whole process was really painless with them agreeing to pay out, minus the excess. The amount they paid was a bit more than my premium for the year and, since we're up for renewal next month, I received a renewal quote which is a bit higher than last year.

Subsequently, I've knocked over a switched-on iron in the living room and it has left a very definite mark on the carpet (only fitted about a year ago). This was a silly accident which is rather embarrassing and not the kind of thing I'm usually prone to doing! I had been happy with the carpet and would be looking to replace it exactly. It's the kind of thing I would have expected to claim on insurance before, but with this recent claim I fee a bit anxious to do so. Would claiming for this so soon after the last one, and so close to renewal, raise suspicion? I felt anxious about making the first claim, even though I was entirely entitled, and would feel even more so making a subsequent claim so soon. Am I overthinking it or am I right to consider just taking the hit on this and shelling out myself for the carpet replacement?

Growing up, my parents disagreed constantly about insurance with my mum wanting to claim for lots of things caused by weather damage and all sorts and my dad refusing to claim for anything, saying insurance was there for 'big things' such as large-scale fire damage or flooding. Any thoughts?

On the plus side, the burn is near the edge and I'm thinking the existing carpet could be cut and moved into a smaller room, which needs a new carpet, for some money saving!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 20th Apr 17, 9:39 PM
    • 32,109 Posts
    • 16,203 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:39 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:39 PM
    You have no particular worries regarding a claim raising suspicion - insurers are entitled to investigate all claims irrespective of how often the policyholder has claimed, and will honour all genuine claims.

But you may be missing the real problem - 2 claims in a short space of time may impact at renewal time.

Do dummy quotes online now with and without this second claim in your record and see what difference this makes to the premium, then do the sums to see whether claiming will be cost effective
    • halfajack
    • By halfajack 20th Apr 17, 9:41 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    halfajack
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:41 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:41 PM
    Good tip. Thanks, Quentin!
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 20th Apr 17, 9:48 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:48 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:48 PM
    As the two claims are fairly distinct in their nature, I doubt an insurer would have too much cause for concern although, as Quentin notes, an insurer is entitled to investigate any claim they wish if there are grounds to do so in their opinion.

Do you have combined buildings + contents? If not, has it been confirmed whether the claim would be dealt with by the buildings' provider or the contents provider?

If you do decide to claim, get an independent quote & submit it to the insurer for the precise same carpet + fitting as you may not be able to guarantee the insurer's supplier has the same one in stock if you were partial to it.
    • MCGONIS
    • By MCGONIS 20th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    MCGONIS
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    A woman I worked with did tell me that she had never paid for a new carpet since she was married. (married 20+ years) when I asked her how come, she said she claims off her insurance because of damage caused by an "iron".

That her insurance always paid out. That was a number of years ago this conversation took place. I remember thinking, I could not be bothered with the stress of it all.

But she did put a seed in my head about carpets, as once a year I order a carpet washer off the shopping channel, use it to clean my carpets and send it back under their no quibble returns. My carpets have been down 10 years and look like new!!!

Another co-worker told me she got a new bathroom suite as "she dropped a hammer in the bath and cracked it" whilst doing DIY.

I would love to be an operator on the insurance helpline for a day to hear what claims come through!!!
    • halfajack
    • By halfajack 21st Apr 17, 9:22 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    halfajack
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:22 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:22 PM
    Thanks Blibble. It's combined buildings & content. I'm not that attached that I would't accept a decent substitute if necessary but I will look into that.

MCGONIS, your story about the woman getting frequent new carpets is something I've heard of happening before and exactly why I'm reticent to claim, even though mine is genuine! I also couldn't be bothered with the hassle of claiming frequently and would rather keep the same carpet (and other decor) until it's looking shabby.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 22nd Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 22nd Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    • 22nd Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    The woman just won't have realised they will have upper her premiums to get back the costs and depending on frequency might end up on fraud charges
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

4,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin