Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • imknewhere
    • By imknewhere 20th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    imknewhere
    Moving my gf in with me?
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    Moving my gf in with me? 20th Apr 17 at 8:28 PM
    Hi there i was wondering if anyone could help me at all?

I currently live by myself in a 2 bed flat and claim ESA, SDP, HB, CTR, PIP.
    I get £350 every fortnight and £300 once a month, i get arround £80 HB help per week and a 25% single person reduction on my council tax.

If my girlfriend was to move in with me does anyone know how this would affect me financially?

She works full time and gets approx £1100 per month

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated

Thanks
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    It wouldn't affect PIP as it's not means tested. I'm not certain enough about the rest to say for sure, but I know anything income-based would potentially be affected by her income.

Is the ESA income-based?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Apr 17, 8:47 PM
    • 3,332 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:47 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:47 PM
    SDP on ESA would stop, and you will obviously lose the 25% single person reduction on council tax.
    You don't say if you in the WRAG or Support Group on ESA, and we also need to know if you are Income Related or Conts based ESA. If you are purely on Income Related ESA that would stop.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 20th Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    • 8,597 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    Best bet I'd suggest is run your & her numbers with the 2 "benefit calculators" gov.uk provide...
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

There's bound to be other stuff you know about (eg savings, ages ... etc etc ..)

Yeah, obvs 25% CT reduction will go..

Best regards with your life together..
    • venison
    • By venison 20th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    venison
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    The only thing that definitely wouldn't stop is your PIP, ESA depends on if you are in support group or not.
    But of course you would gain by her £1100 per month income. I'm not sure if moving in together should be based only on how it would effect your benefits?
    • imknewhere
    • By imknewhere 20th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    imknewhere
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    Thank you for your replies.
    I am on income related support group.
    So am right in thinking i would just get my PIP?
    Thanks
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 20th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    These benefit calculators will give you the answer:

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/entitlementcalculator.aspx

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Broadly:
    HB, CTR, SDP will be affected.
    Income Based ESA will be affected and is likely to stop as your earnings as a couple are likely to be above your applicable allowance.
    PIP will not change.

Edit : As the other posters have said whilst I was slowly typing!
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 20-04-2017 at 9:03 PM.
    • imknewhere
    • By imknewhere 20th Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    imknewhere
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    Is there a way that i can sort of bend it to make it more liveable?

I mean like is there an amount of hours my gf can work without it affecting my ESA or anything?

I really dont think i can afford to lose out on ESA and HB completely

Thanks
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 20th Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    Have you tried the benefit calculators suggested?

What rate of PIP do you get?
    What age is your partner?
    How many hours does she work per week?
    Is the income quoted for her gross or net?
    • imknewhere
    • By imknewhere 20th Apr 17, 9:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    imknewhere
    I have tried them but i really cant seem to understand it at all :/

I get standard on both PIP
    she is 23
    She works 40hrs per week
    She gets £1100 after tax per month

Thanks
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 20th Apr 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Londonsu
    Is there a way that i can sort of bend it to make it more liveable?

I mean like is there an amount of hours my gf can work without it affecting my ESA or anything?

I really dont think i can afford to lose out on ESA and HB completely

Thanks
    Originally posted by imknewhere

No you cant 'bend it' household income rules apply to everyone on income based benefits, Darksparkle is the one to ask but at 40 hours a week I don't think she would get tax credits.
    • imknewhere
    • By imknewhere 20th Apr 17, 9:49 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    imknewhere
    What i meant is if she say went to part time would we get the same income topped up by my benefits
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 20th Apr 17, 9:53 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    She is too young to claim WTC. She needs to be 25 unless she has children or wualifys for the disability element herself.

Why would she want to reduce her hours?
    • imknewhere
    • By imknewhere 20th Apr 17, 9:54 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    imknewhere
    I just didnt know if say she worked less hours it might enable me to claim more than her working full time therefore her working more hours to not benefit us financially
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 20th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    IAmWales
    I just didnt know if say she worked less hours it might enable me to claim more than her working full time therefore her working more hours to not benefit us financially
    If your girlfriend is trying to build a career for herself going part time will have a negative effect on that.

Plus if she can work, I'd expect that she wants to. Work is not just about financial gain!
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 20th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    What i meant is if she say went to part time would we get the same income topped up by my benefits
    I think it's a shame you loose a big chunk of your benefits because a partner moves in. It should only change after say, 12 months and give you a chance to establish your relationship and see if you want to make it long term.

It's especially bad for disabled people and being in a new relationship puts you financially on an uneven footing from day one. Your partner/lover becomes also your carer and for some that is hard to deal with.
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 20th Apr 17, 11:45 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Londonsu
    I think it's a shame you loose a big chunk of your benefits because a partner moves in. It should only change after say, 12 months and give you a chance to establish your relationship and see if you want to make it long term.

It's especially bad for disabled people and being in a new relationship puts you financially on an uneven footing from day one. Your partner/lover becomes also your carer and for some that is hard to deal with.
    Originally posted by skcollobcat10

Sorry I totally disagree with this, and I am one of the people who would be very much affected by the household income rules if I lost my job

I sort of agree with you about disabled people, but if you fall in love with someone with disabilities then caring for them is part and parcel of love, I would also say that in a loving relationship there should be no such thing as 'uneven footing' financially, for the last 20 years I have earned much more than my husband, but its not my money its ours, we are not on an uneven footing, we are equal
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 20th Apr 17, 11:53 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    micky2phones
    Sorry I totally disagree with this, and I am one of the people who would be very much affected by the household income rules if I lost my job

I sort of agree with you about disabled people, but if you fall in love with someone with disabilities then caring for them is part and parcel of love, I would also say that in a loving relationship there should be no such thing as 'uneven footing' financially, for the last 20 years I have earned much more than my husband, but its not my money its ours, we are not on an uneven footing, we are equal
    Originally posted by Londonsu
    Well said !
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 21st Apr 17, 12:38 AM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    marliepanda

Originally posted by skcollobcat10
    Hilarious.

You do realise most people establish a relationship is long term BEFORE they move in together?!

Or am I old fashioned...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • giddypenguin
    • By giddypenguin 21st Apr 17, 4:31 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    giddypenguin
    I think the two of you need to sit down with a break down of costs and benefits calculator results for both situations and work out what is best for both of you. Remember- you'd only be paying one lot of rent/bills/council tax so in some areas you'll save.

You also need to figure out what contribution you'll each make to the shared expenses (or even if you'll share incomes completely)

Suggesting she works part time to maximise your benefit entitlement has many issues.
    11/3/11: Mortgage Started...
    31/12/16 40% Mortgage Paid
    Mortgage Free Date: March 2027 Jan 2024 - now aiming for Jan 2022
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

1,085Users online

Martin's Twitter