Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 20th Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 60Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    Lifetime ISA bonus question
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    Lifetime ISA bonus question 20th Apr 17 at 8:19 PM
    I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere or guidance on the bonus top up apart from for 17/18 will be paid in April 18 and after that monthly.

Assuming the ISA is opened now and filled with the full £4000 the £1000 top up for 17/18 will add in April 18.
    My question is - If I then add the full allowance of £4000 in April 18 do you get the £1000 top up in May (Hargreaves says 6th day of the following month) or is the 25% added gradually over the financial year?

We are thinking of buying a home around this time next year so H2B or stocks and shares are our only options.

We have H2B now but if we could get the bonus on £8000 instead of £2600 we would save in the H2B in the same 13 months this would be a huge incentive to transfer to the Lifetime.
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 9,097 Posts
    • 6,219 Thanks
    masonic
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    After the end of this tax year, it is added (in full) the month after a qualifying deposit is made.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 20th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    Brill - that's fab. The news I wanted!

Thank you for your help.
    • Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 21st Apr 17, 9:05 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:05 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:05 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you, buying hopefully may next year. I opened mine with hl too, did you leave it as cash or invest in stocks? I left mine as cash.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 21st Apr 17, 9:42 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:42 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:42 AM
    We just opened last night one for my partner (I am already a home owner so not able to gain from the scheme). We have just put the minimum £100 in for now and didn't pick investments yet. We will have a look in more detail over the weekend.

We will keep putting money in the H2B ISA until March and then transfer that into the LISA and add the additional £1500 up to the £4000 allowance.

We were planning on selling up my place (which is currently let out) in march next year and buy concurrently, but to get the extra bonus it is worth the extra month wait. Plus we don't know how long my place will take to sell.

We have our savings currently making 5% so unless the stocks and shares LISA performs better than that it doesn't make sense to transfer the £1500 into it now. We will keep an eye on it for the next few months and then reassess.

We will fill up our 5% allowances soon so will have to start thinking about where else to save with a good return.

I will probably start to overpay my mortgage though as one part is over 4% interest but it makes no sense to remortgage when we plan on selling next year.
    The fees outweigh any interest rate benefit over the short period.

Good luck to you!!!
    • Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 21st Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    Thanks Pink, it's a shame the high street banks are behind on offering products otherwise there would be far more information available. Luckily my partner and I are both first timers so between us we are fortunate to have the two htb isa's and also the Lisa's. Nice little pot for them to rob back in stamp duty.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 21st Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 9,175 Posts
    • 6,003 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    We just opened last night one for my partner (I am already a home owner so not able to gain from the scheme).
    Originally posted by pink_pirlie
    That does work all right does it - one of you using the LISA when the other one isn't eligible? I'm glad to hear it.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 21st Apr 17, 11:55 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:55 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:55 AM
    Yes you so long as the LISA is in his name it's no issue. They are person specific and he is a first time buyer so all good :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,215Posts Today

6,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin