Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Littlefish23
    • By Littlefish23 20th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Littlefish23
    Huge Scottish power bill
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    Huge Scottish power bill 20th Apr 17 at 8:11 PM
    Hi All,

My situation is a bit complicated but I'll try my best to be as succinct as possible.

When me and my current wife moved into our current (1st) house in 2012 we switched out gas and electric to scottish power and fixed for 2 years paying by direct debit each month. After the 2 years was up I did a comparison and switched to another provider. I then got a phone call from scottish power offering a better deal so quickly changed back as it was in the cool off period (this is June 2014 now) everything is set up and we continue as normal.

Now this morning I get both a bill and an email stating we need to make a payment of over £3000! Obviously this fills me with panic but think it surely must be a con artist trying to take money off us as we haven't had a paper or email bill since 2014.

I log onto my online account with them and to my horror it says the same thing on there. So after doing some digging around I've worked out whats happened. whoever has set the account up has set up seperate gas and electricity accounts and put the electricity as a direct debit and the gas as a cash pay quarterly?!?!

The direct debit has been coming out for the electricity but not for the gas. I had no idea this was the case until I got the bill today. I'm really confused why it was set up wrong and also why 3 years in this is the first bill that I've had.

I'm really starting to panic now because we don't have £3000 just lying around to be able to pay the bill and I'm unsure what to do. I've just rang them and they were really unhelpful and just wanted a meter reading to make sure it was accurate and told me to take another one next week and call back.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks all!
Page 1
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 21st Apr 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:35 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:35 AM
    Are you saying that since the Switch Away/Switch Back to SP, (2014?), you have not been issued with any bills for gas until now?

If this is the case the Back Billing Agreement comes into play, which means that SP can't demand payment for any gas used prior to the previous 12 months, and that 12 months runs back from the date they did manage to produce a bill.
    You WRITE a letter to SP headed Complaint pointing out they have failed to produce any bills for xxxxxx months, and that you claim relief under the 'Back Billing Agreement' on all charges for Gas consumed prior to xxxxx date, which is one year earlier to the day, of the bill now issued
    Last edited by dogshome; 21-04-2017 at 8:38 AM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 16,635 Posts
    • 10,846 Thanks
    molerat
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    The back billing code does put some onus on the customer to have at least made some attempt to get a bill.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 21st Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    • 26,626 Posts
    • 12,875 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    £3,000 for gas only(on a good deal) is very high for under 3 years.

I log onto my online account with them and to my horror it says the same thing on there.
    Had you not logged on in the previous 3 years and seen you were not paying for gas?

Have you been getting regular bills(on-line or paper) for electricity?
    • Littlefish23
    • By Littlefish23 21st Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlefish23
    • 21st Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    £3,000 for gas only(on a good deal) is very high for under 3 years.

Had you not logged on in the previous 3 years and seen you were not paying for gas?

Have you been getting regular bills(on-line or paper) for electricity?
    Originally posted by Cardew
    No I hadn't checked the payments which I know is partly my responsibly, because our electricity was done by direct debit I received emails saying my direct debits had been changed due to spend etc but not specific bills. They are on the site after you dig around a bit but I haven't had them on paper or via email or even a reminder to pay my bill. Naive I know, but i just thought the direct debits were coming out and if there were any problems scottish power would let me know.

They have over charged because it's an estimated reading its closer to £2500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,253Posts Today

8,450Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin