Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • romneymarshan
    • By romneymarshan 20th Apr 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    romneymarshan
    The Co-op Bank
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:52 PM
    The Co-op Bank 20th Apr 17 at 7:52 PM
    Did I imagine it or is The Co-op Bank in trouble? The last I heard, The Bank of England were deciding on a course of action.
    My problem is that I have £14k (and falling) above the safety level, but am about to pay out £61k on a TINY studio flat within the next 10 weeks.
    Should I sit tight and hope for the best, or should I transfer my £30k of Britannia ISAs to another bank?
    I am a 61 yr old woman with no job, no benefits and no pension until 66, and feeling a bit vulnerable
Page 1
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 20th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Chapuys
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    Did I imagine it or is The Co-op Bank in trouble? The last I heard, The Bank of England were deciding on a course of action.
    My problem is that I have £14k (and falling) above the safety level, but am about to pay out £61k on a TINY studio flat within the next 10 weeks.
    Should I sit tight and hope for the best, or should I transfer my £30k of Britannia ISAs to another bank?
    I am a 61 yr old woman with no job, no benefits and no pension until 66, and feeling a bit vulnerable
    Originally posted by romneymarshan
    The Co-op Bank put itself up for sale in February after saying it was struggling to earn enough money to mend its finances from its previous crisis in 2013/14. The Bank of England, in March, placed the Co-op Bank under "intensive supervision" so the Bank of England is monitoring them very closely. If things to bad, there is a contingency plan to ensure its orderly failure. Co-op Bank customers will be protected whatever happens to the bank.

You will be protected for 100% of £85,000 you have with the Co-op bank. However from 3 July 2015, the FSCS will provide a £1 million protection limit for temporary high balances held with your bank if it collapses. Payments in connection with the following could be categorised as temporary high balances:

Sums paid to the depositor in respect of:
    • Real ettate transactions (property purchase, sale proceeds, equity release) relating to a depositor's main or only residence
    • Benefits payable under an insurance policy
    • Personal injury compensation (unlimited amount)
    • Disability or incapacity (state benefits)
    • Claim for compensation for wrongful conviction
    • Claim for compensation for unfair dismissal
    • Redundancy (voluntary or compulsory)
    • Marriage or civil partnership
    • Divorce or dissolution of their civil partnership
    • Benefits payable on retirement
    • Benefits payable on death
    • A claim for compensation in respect of a person’s death
    • Inheritance
    • Proceeds of a deceased’s estate held by their Personal Representative

Note: Deposits over £85,000 are protected up to six months from when the amount was first credited or from the moment a qualifying deposit became legally transferrable.

Overall I think you should be fine. However if you are still worried, transfer it to NS&I as they are 100% on anything unless the government finances go bankrupt.
    Last edited by Chapuys; 21-04-2017 at 3:50 AM.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 20th Apr 17, 9:08 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 7,369 Thanks
    colsten
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:08 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:08 PM
    Reduce your balance in the COOP straight away to below £85,000.

The temporary high balance protection mentioned in the earlier post does not apply to you unless you received a large sum of money in the given categories in the last 6 months.
    Last edited by colsten; 20-04-2017 at 9:11 PM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    • 6,838 Posts
    • 8,428 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    Reduce your balance in the COOP straight away to below £85,000.
    Originally posted by colsten
    It is as simple as this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,816Posts Today

8,453Users online

Martin's Twitter