Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kels146
    • By kels146 20th Apr 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kels146
    Are Easyjet brushing me off?
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:36 PM
    Are Easyjet brushing me off? 20th Apr 17 at 7:36 PM
    Hi all - new to this forum so please bear with me!

Long story short - easyjet flight to Iceland from Luton couldn't land because the pilot stated it was too windy. Flew us back to Glasgow where he had to re-fuel, and then onto Luton... 8 hour flight to return back to where we started!
    When coming in to land, nothing seemed extraordinary except the pilot telling us about 30 mins beforehand that it might be a bit windy... when he pulled up (about 25 feet off the runway), even the crew seemed shocked (I was sitting in front of 2 of them so could see their faces and hear their comments). He came out onto the flight deck about 20 mins later visibly shaking whilst holding the microphone, to tell us he was sorry but it hadn't been possible to land the plane as it was just too bad weather-wise! Hmmm, more like he bottled it
    Investigating this when we returned home, we got proof that every flight into Iceland had landed that day (59 other flights) except ours - one was 6 mins before ours and one was 6 mins after!
    Ground crew told us on arrival back to Luton that we were entitled to full compensation and that we only needed to claim following a little orange leaflet they gave us.
    Since then, Easyjet have now refused twice to pay out, either for delay compensation or for food and taxi costs to and in the hotel they put on, as they state bad weather is not covered under the EU Law. In their second response when I raised a complaint, they state 'this is our final decision and we will not enter into any further discussion with you!' Charming...
    Where do I stand when clearly this was pilot incompetence or something else that's hidden, rather than bad weather!
    I am so upset by this situation as we lost 24 hours of a surprise 40th birthday present, and the way Easyjet are responding just seems very rude and unhelpful... and funnily enough you cant ring them to complain, it all has to be in writing!
    Thanks for reading
    Kellie
Page 1
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 20th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    Vauban
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    Nobody is more encouraging than me in my enthusiasm for passengers exercising their rights under the flight delay regulation.

But seriously! Have you read how you sound? How do you know that the pilot "bottled it"? That sounds pretty implausible to me. And although other aircraft might have landed, cross winds affect different planes in different ways.

Unless you can provide any evidence that this was "pilot incompetence" or "something hidden", you're going to struggle to make a claim stick in the courts - which is your only alternative remedy.

Even if the delay is caused by weather, you're entitled to accommodation costs and reasonable food (if you have receipts).
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 20th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,688 Posts
    • 1,633 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    Hmmm, more like he bottled it
    Well obviously you are well qualified to make that statement. More qualified than the Captain of the aircraft who is trained to make such decisions and who's ultimate responsibility is to get himself, the rest of his crew, and all his passengers back on Earth in one piece!

Investigating this when we returned home, we got proof that every flight into Iceland had landed that day (59 other flights) except ours - one was 6 mins before ours and one was 6 mins after
    While incredibly frustrating, it's not really relevant. Wind is a dynamic thing and moves by the second. You probably were very unlucky that the wind was such a problem at the exact time your landing was attempted but its impossible to forecast it that accurately and if it was too dangerous to continue the approach then so be it.

this was pilot incompetence or something else that's hidden, rather than bad weather!
    It is exactly the opposite. It is a case of a competent Captain and his ops department making difficult but safe decisions in order to keep you safe. Keeping going against the odds has resulted in thousands of deaths in aeroplanes. Sounds dramatic? Maybe... but its the truth.

As per the EU legislation weather is considered beyond the airline's control. Vauban is absolutely correct, you can claim for reasonable food and taxi costs.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 20th Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    • 17,740 Posts
    • 7,212 Thanks
    richardw
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    ....I am so upset by this situation as we lost 24 hours of a surprise 40th birthday present...
    Originally posted by kels146
    Hi Kellie, Welcome to MSE. Sometimes bad weather gets in the way of the convenience and speed of air travel and your plans can go wrong. The highly trained easyJet pilot seems to have avoided bad wind conditions which may have been too risky and taken appropriate action.
    Last edited by richardw; 20-04-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 21st Apr 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:58 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:58 AM
    Its thanks to the professionalism of the pilot that you only lost 24 hours of you trip & not the rest of your life !!!!!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 21st Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    JPears
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    Close thread?
    Should be on EJ anyway
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

8,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin