Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • khaleesi
    • By khaleesi 20th Apr 17, 7:22 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    khaleesi
    Virgin media
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:22 PM
    Virgin media 20th Apr 17 at 7:22 PM
    OK so I signed up to go back to VM this week as they offer a bundle that does not use traffic management.
    I found a cash back deal which made it better as I was going to be paying more than before but better I hope. Anyway sign up went smooth or so I thought, Had a second email saying they was doing further credit checks which could take a couple of days so I was a bit peeved,

Then I got a call today, I was told there was an issue as there was still 2 outstanding debts on my file! I was confused and said I had only been with them once before which turned out I owed them £30 which I do not dispute and am happy to clear before I sign back up. Then they tell me the second debt it for over £300 and associated with an address is Belfast Ireland, (I live in the Warwickshire area of England and always have done) I told the guy I had never been to Belfast let alone lived there so he said he suspects im a victim of fraud and identity theft and to contact experian and the police.

Now my Sir name is Irish, My family are Irish on my dads side, they all moved over here many years ago and could not go back (IRA related thats all I know)

I check my credit file in as many free ways I can and there is no irish address associated with my file, there is a virgin media debt but only for £30 not the £300 plus debt. I call experian and they can confirm no Irish address is or has been associated with myself and that I have been on the electoral role for 6 years at my current address and one in Staffordshire for 5 years before that.

The police said they do not suspect fraud because it is not associated with my credit file and no evidence, VM refuse to tell me details accept the address and the fact the name and DOB is the same as mine. They wont give me the dates this account was opened and defaulted?

So my theory is they have either never done a credit check to verify this person because surely it would be on my credit file if they think it is me? Or they have someone with the same name and DOB (quite possible with my name being irish anyway and on a facebook search I found 4 in Belfast with the same first and last name) I think the latter and due to their incompetence they have decided they are me.

I am now quite possibly losing my cash back deal
    I refuse to pay the £30 if I still need to fight to clear my name

Now I do not know how to proceed as they needed experian to remove it (there is nothing to remove) and declare it fraud and a police reference number which the police can not give.
Page 1
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 20th Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    Have you checked all your credit files? There are 3 main ones;

Equifax (free via ClearScore)
    Experian (free via MSE Credit Club)
    CallCredit (free via Noddle)

Not all companies report to all credit agencies so you should always check all 3.
    • khaleesi
    • By khaleesi 20th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    khaleesi
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    Yes all have been checked. Virgin told me they deal with Experian and to call them so I did and they have no record of the address in Belfast being on my file ever.

What bothers me more is virgin have allowed this and not done a credit search if it is fraud so one way or another they are in the wrong.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,825Posts Today

7,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin