Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • palgrave
    • By palgrave 20th Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 12Thanks
    palgrave
    Car failed MOT. Is garage being honest?
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    Car failed MOT. Is garage being honest? 20th Apr 17 at 7:19 PM
    My car was due a recall for the airbag,. So I booked it in at my nearest Honda main dealer and thought I may as well get the MOT done too.

They failed the MOT stating the front lower control arm compliances bushes split. They also suggested to replace both from drop links. They quoted 480 for the repair including VAT!!

I'm quite dubious on whether the bushes actually need replacing as the car drives fine. The alignment is slightly off but tracking should sort that out. How can I know whether they do really need replacing or not??
Page 2
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 20th Apr 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Wow, I used to have one.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Me too... Still around somewhere.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 20th Apr 17, 9:45 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    waamo
    Me too... Still around somewhere.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    I bought my last car from that garage.
    This space for hire.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 21st Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Tarambor

I'm quite dubious on whether the bushes actually need replacing as the car drives fine. The alignment is slightly off but tracking should sort that out. How can I know whether they do really need replacing or not??
    Originally posted by palgrave
    Funnily enough worn track control arm bushes can cause that as worn bushes alter the steering geometry so it kind of sounds like the car actually wasn't driving fine at all given you acknowledge the tracking was slightly off so in that one sentence you've confirmed they were right.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 21st Apr 17, 6:25 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    Robisere
    Well seems that Palgrave has retired without responding. A coomon trait with some of his posts, I believe.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• palgrave
    • By palgrave 21st Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    palgrave
    Hey, thank you for the "useful" replies. I've had the car tested at my local one and hey presto it passed! They did actually say the front lower arm bushes were perished but I can replace that early next year. As for other advisories I got this:
    Nearside Front Valve stem slightly damaged (4.1.D.1e)
    Offside Rear Valve stem slightly damaged (4.1.D.1e)
    Nearside Rear Valve stem slightly damaged (4.1.D.1e)

What does this mean?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 21st Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Hey, thank you for the "useful" replies. I've had the car tested at my local one and hey presto it passed! They did actually say the front lower arm bushes were perished but I can replace that early next year. As for other advisories I got this:

What does this mean?
    It means you're !!!!!!!!ting again.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 21st Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    It means three of your valve stems are damaged.
    • facade
    • By facade 21st Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    facade

What does this mean?
    Means you need new valves in the tyres.

I had an advisory for a perished valve once, didn't take long after for it to look like it was about to disintegrate.

A new valve was around 50p, and a bit of a struggle to fit it, but no doubt a tyre fitters would change them out for under 10 a wheel.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • palgrave
    • By palgrave 21st Apr 17, 7:11 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    palgrave
    Great so not an expensive fix! I'm so surprised the MOT undertaken by the Crown Honda dealership thieves said the rear central light bulb needs replacing, when it doesn't even have a rear central light!!
    At least the thieves did the recall free of charge
    • palgrave
    • By palgrave 21st Apr 17, 7:15 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    palgrave
    Oh one more thing, I requested my local garage to do a wheel alignment as the Honda main dealers didn't do it unless I authorised the 500 repair cost to pass the MOT first! Anyway my local independent said the tracking is dead on. So I don't know why the wheel pulls slightly to the left and on the motorway have to leave it slightly 3-4 degrees to the left for it to be straight??
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 21st Apr 17, 7:20 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Oh one more thing, I requested my local garage to do a wheel alignment as the Honda main dealers didn't do it unless I authorised the 500 repair cost to pass the MOT first! Anyway my local independent said the tracking is dead on. So I don't know why the wheel pulls slightly to the left and on the motorway have to leave it slightly 3-4 degrees to the left for it to be straight??
    What you doing driving on the motorway without a licence?
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 25th Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4,864 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    Herzlos
    So I don't know why the wheel pulls slightly to the left and on the motorway have to leave it slightly 3-4 degrees to the left for it to be straight??
    Could it be the worn bushes you were told about by the main dealer?
    You've acknowledged they need replaced, just replace them.

Or, y'know, stop this fantasy game, it's really, really, weird.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,058Posts Today

6,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin