Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • palgrave
    • By palgrave 20th Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 12Thanks
    palgrave
    Car failed MOT. Is garage being honest?
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    Car failed MOT. Is garage being honest? 20th Apr 17 at 7:19 PM
    My car was due a recall for the airbag,. So I booked it in at my nearest Honda main dealer and thought I may as well get the MOT done too.

They failed the MOT stating the front lower control arm compliances bushes split. They also suggested to replace both from drop links. They quoted £480 for the repair including VAT!!

I'm quite dubious on whether the bushes actually need replacing as the car drives fine. The alignment is slightly off but tracking should sort that out. How can I know whether they do really need replacing or not??
Page 1
    • Celtic452
    • By Celtic452 20th Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Celtic452
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    Is the previous MOT still valid? If so I'd ask for a second opinion from a different garage. That is assuming carrying out a new MOT check does not invalidate the old one. Probably better to wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to answer / confirm.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    My car was due a recall for the airbag,. So I booked it in at my nearest Honda main dealer and thought I may as well get the MOT done too.

They failed the MOT stating the front lower control arm compliances bushes split. They also suggested to replace both from drop links. They quoted £480 for the repair including VAT!!

I'm quite dubious on whether the bushes actually need replacing as the car drives fine. The alignment is slightly off but tracking should sort that out. How can I know whether they do really need replacing or not??
    Originally posted by palgrave
    Bit of a money pit that new car of yours.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 20th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    Take a look at your front tyres. Are they both worn on one edge: inner or outer part of the tread? Is one tyre wearing worse than the other, and/or in a different area of tread? It may not be just a Tracking issue. Steering geometry can be complex to measure, calibrate and set up and there can be many reasons for problems, including the bushes and drop links mentioned.

I would risk another MOT fee and test at another testing station. If the results are the same, or broadly similar, you have your answer. If the second garage offers a significantly cheaper price for the same repairs, you have another answer.

Does seem to give you some expensive problems, that "old banger" you have referred to elsewhere on the Forum. Heh heh.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• cajef
    • By cajef 20th Apr 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    cajef
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:20 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:20 PM
    Bit of a money pit that new car of yours.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    That is the problem with buying an 'old banger'.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 20th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    That's the problem with these imaginary Hondas. Build quality is terrible.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    Car failed MOT. Is garage being honest?

I think the question is, are you being honest?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    That's the problem with these imaginary Hondas. Build quality is terrible.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    It must be the Vauxhall VXR partnership.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 20th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    And the new owner of a 'performance BMW' just happens to have been the first to reply, with their first post on the forum.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:33 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    And the new owner of a 'performance BMW' just happens to have been the first to reply, with their first post on the forum.
    The two hander who crashed his beloved msport?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 20th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    The two hander who crashed his beloved msport?
    I suspect split-personality disorder. We're into the 'replying to own threads' phase.

The great reveal should happen within the next 48hours or so.
    • Celtic452
    • By Celtic452 20th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Celtic452
    Yeah thought I'd try and help someone else out rather than just leeching off the forum with my first post. Since when I refreshed the motoring section this topic was next to mine and it looked like something I could provide a bit of advice on. Evidently that seems to be a bad thing in your books, why don't you try helping either of us instead of speculating....
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I suspect split-personality disorder. We're into the 'replying to own threads' phase.

The great reveal should happen within the next 48hours or so.
    When the drugs wear off?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Yeah thought I'd try and help someone else out rather than just leeching off the forum with my first post. Since when I refreshed the motoring section this topic was next to mine and it looked like something I could provide a bit of advice on. Evidently that seems to be a bad thing in your books, why don't you try helping either of us instead of speculating....
    Originally posted by Celtic452
    Ok, here's some help for you. You bought a car from 3.5hours away. Your choice, not the dealer's problem.

If you want to reject it, take it back. Otherwise, suck up the cost of a couple of wheels. Sorted.

And for the OP, some help: buy a performance BMW instead of a Honda banger. Something like an M3 would be a good choice.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:42 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    You're not an expert on the subject but give it time.
    • Celtic452
    • By Celtic452 20th Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Celtic452
    OP - I'd probably ignore half of these lot as their posts seem to be pretty useless and sarcastic. Robisere has provided some good advice and I also agree getting another garage to check is a good idea, even if it costs you a small amount for the check, at least you'll have peace of mind.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    OP - I'd probably ignore half of these lot as their posts seem to be pretty useless and sarcastic. Robisere has provided some good advice and I also agree getting another garage to check is a good idea, even if it costs you a small amount for the check, at least you'll have peace of mind.
    Any suggestions on who should mot the imaginary car?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 20th Apr 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Any suggestions on who should mot the imaginary car?

These people have a slot tomorrow.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:57 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

These people have a slot tomorrow.
    Wow, I used to have one.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 20th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Oh, this is getting so predictable now. I was almost giving the benefit of the doubt but then the same old posting traits appear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,189Posts Today

5,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin