Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipS
    • By PipS 20th Apr 17, 6:33 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PipS
    Can't decide kitchen layout re-jig?
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:33 PM
    Can't decide kitchen layout re-jig? 20th Apr 17 at 6:33 PM
    After some advice as we're buying a lovely 2 bed maisonette, immaculate condition, needs absolutely nothing doing to it but I keep debating the layout!!

Currently the master bedroom is the only room that has direct access to the garden. Ideally I would have preferred direct garden access via the kitchen or lounge. I don't particularly want to spend a great deal of money making changes plus it has a lovely brand new kitchen I'd rather not ruin but whilst I've been pondering options I just wanted some opinions or experience from anyone whose done similar? I see 3 potential options:

1. Move the kitchen sink which is currently located under the window and turn the current window into a door. I'd lose some worktop space but I presume this wouldn't be too costly?

2. Move the entire kitchen next door into the current master bedroom so the access is already in place and create a larger kitchen/ diner and turn current kitchen into smaller bedroom? I'd want to reuse the current kitchen units where possible but I'm guessing this is much more expensive option?

3. Turn the current master bedroom into the lounge and use the current lounge as the master bedroom. This feels like a bit of a waste (and odd) and I would loose the lovely feature fireplace. Plus the lounge would be smaller but obviously no costs at all.

Current measurements as a guide are:
    Kitchen: 10.4 x 7.9
    Master bedroom: 15.6 x 9.11
    Lounge: 15.10 x 11.3

Thoughts? I just can't decide!
Page 1
    • FitzWilliams
    • By FitzWilliams 20th Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    FitzWilliams
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    I would personally go with option 1. 9'11 is a little bit too narrow for a living room (I'm sure other people can live with that size with no problems). The other option of moving the kitchen seems like a lot of work an possible additional costs which might make it cheaper to have bought another property with a better layout in the first place.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 21st Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 6,914 Posts
    • 3,792 Thanks
    martindow
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    Being a maisonette it is quite possible that it is leasehold. In that case you may not be able to make structural alterations without asking permission and possibly paying a fee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

3,968Users online

Martin's Twitter