Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 20th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3,128Posts
    • 3,317Thanks
    always_sunny
    How often do you change BB provider?
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    How often do you change BB provider? 20th Apr 17 at 5:18 PM
    my 12 months BB with BT is reaching the end and price will go up from £29 to £40; I called them and they're not interesting in keeping the account (they won't budge the price) so option is to go with Sky for £18 a month for 12 months.

Is that what folks do every year or so? Switch from one supplier to another?
    Expat with an EU passport
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    • 7,886 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    I switched from BT phone and O2 broadband, to Sky, when the latter bought out O2.

Then, for a number of years, got a good retentions deal from Sky,but not last year, so I moved to PlusNet.

I'm not very happy with them, so will probably move back to Sky at the end of this year. The other possibility is BT, as there is no cease fee to go from PlusNet, but having had bad experience before , am rather wary of them.

BT don't appear to do good deals, except for new customers. In fact when I told them I was leaving, they tried to keep me by offering a much worse deal than the one I was moving to, even though I' told them what it was.
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 20th Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 3,317 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    Sadly you're right, BT customer retention program is pretty bad, I told the rep on the phone that I could find a better deal online right there, that even by paying the cessation fee and returning as a new customer I would be better off and he suggested to do so!

Sky it is, and then maybe back to BT I am collecting BT Hubs or so it feels!
    Expat with an EU passport
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    • 9,441 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    How often do i change .
    In the past very often as services changed from dial up to fibre .
    Now same provider for the last three years or so and unlikely to move .As each end of contract has resulted after negotiation with a lower bill than the previous year i am happy .
    Problem well yes but its one of those intermittent high tech problems . CS Tech support are more than helpful and we are slowly working through possible errors . BT OR REIN engineer booked for a 7pm to 9pm slot next week .
    My ISP BT .

(paying the cessation fee and returning as a new customer )
    new customer in twelve months time .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 20th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    certainly if you are with BT you need to leave after 12 months.

Some other providers will give you a sensible price for a longer period (which is less maintenance).

I think these are EE, talkTalk maybe plusnet
    Sky will negotiate.
    Last edited by AndyPK; 21-04-2017 at 1:57 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 21st Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    I don't, however I do use it as a stick every year with Sky and have always (so far) been happy with the result.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 21st Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 3,083 Posts
    • 6,849 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    I started using my current broadband provider when the exchange at my old home was ADSL enabled in 2003. I'm still with them, now at a different home and using FTTC. From 1994 to 2003 I was with Demon Internet for dialup.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 21st Apr 17, 11:36 AM
    • 2,725 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:36 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:36 AM
    Never changed in my life.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 21st Apr 17, 1:21 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:21 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:21 PM
    I change regularly. Currently with Vodafone whom offer a reliable connection non fibre (not available in the area). And these days if there is a price increase mid contract you can also change.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 21st Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 2,803 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Every time I get a price increase notification, I then use a cashback website to get a new deal. Im on my 4th BB provider in 12 months & have had almost £400 in cashback alone.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 23rd Apr 17, 12:46 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    phillw
    I switch whenever I can, so at least every 12 months, but if they raise their prices then it can be less. They don't ask for the cashback to be returned, so it makes it even cheaper when they raise prices.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 23rd Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I've stuck with the same ISP for 9 years - altho' I used to switch regularly in the Dial up days. Was going to switch ~ 3 years ago, but for various reasons and deals ,I haven't paid for broadband since
    EDIT - I'd be worried doing what Oakdene does however; I bet for everyone who is happy with their "£400 cashback", there will be a person who has lost their connection for weeks (if not months)particularly if switching between LLU ISPs which involves the deathly touch of Openretch
    Last edited by brewerdave; 24-04-2017 at 8:46 AM.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 23rd Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    Buzby
    Never changed in 14 years. Nobody comes close to speed and reliability for the price (Virgin). If I moved elsewhere, I wouldn't get 200Mb/s
    • phillw
    • By phillw 24th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    phillw
    EDIT - I'd be worried doing what Oakdene does however; I bet for everyone who is happy with their "£400 cashback", there will be a person who has lost their connection for weeks (if not months)particularly if switching between LLU ISPs which involves the deathly touch of Openretch
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    The first time I switched to adsl max, I was without broadband for a week as it couldn't train at all and they had to send out an engineer. My line is abysmal, lots of noise and phone calls cause the adsl to drop. Since then normally the broadband stops working, I change the settings and it works again. However the last time the phone line switched at noon and and the broadband switched on the next day.

I don't think I've ever been unbundled. I try not to pay more than about £4 a month for line rental and broadband (paying up front and taking into account cashback).
    Last edited by phillw; 24-04-2017 at 4:02 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

2,056Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin