Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gemalou04
    • By Gemalou04 20th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gemalou04
    House still on the market?
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    House still on the market? 20th Apr 17 at 4:34 PM
    Just wondering what other peoples take is on this.

We looked at a house 3 weeks ago loved it and put in an offer below the asking price as the house needs a full renovation,the offer was not accepted so we went it higher hooray it was accepted,only the next day the estate agent rang us to tell us someone one else has put in a higher offer than us,so we thought about it then put in an offer close to the asking price,we were then told the offer we put forward was higher than the other people's offer but the vendor is going with the other people as they are chain free and vendor not accepting anymore offers,we've seen that the property is not advertised as under offer or anything like that,it appears it's still on the market.plus I got a friend to ring up the estate agents and the estate agent said the house is still for sale and the vendor is still accepting offers/viewings,yet we were told he's not accepting anymore offers????
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 20th Apr 17, 4:38 PM
    • 4,659 Posts
    • 6,110 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:38 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:38 PM
    Post a note through the door and say you put an offer in on the house and give the details. Say youve noticed it appears its still on the market and that a friend has rang to ask if it is and be told its still available. Give them your phone number and ask them to call if theyre interested in selling you the house.

Otherwise youll always be speculating about what tactics the estate agents are using. If you get a call you can proceed through their agent, if not, assume its gone.
    Don't be angry!
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Apr 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 4,703 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:39 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:39 PM
    Think of it this way: do you really want to buy from a vendor who allows gazumping and plays games? What if someone had come along with a higher offer a week before exchange? If I were you, I'd find something else.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 20th Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    • 7,664 Posts
    • 8,277 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    I got a friend to ring up the estate agents and the estate agent said the house is still for sale and the vendor is still accepting offers/viewings,yet we were told he's not accepting anymore offers????
    Originally posted by Gemalou04
    Sounds as if he isnt accepting any more offers from people who are part of a chain

Could have been a narrow escape for you I would imagine he'd be prepared to shaft the new buyer if he got a higher no-chain offer.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 20th Apr 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:42 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:42 PM
    Agree with Penitent, is this the type of vendor you really want to be doing business with...?
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 20th Apr 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:04 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:04 PM
    move on already, unless you live in a village with 2 houses surely there must be another you will like.
    Obviously vendor is not the best to deal with.
    Expat with an EU passport
    • Gemalou04
    • By Gemalou04 20th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gemalou04
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    Thankyou everyone we Are actively looking everyday we have our hearts set on this property as its great for kids schools etc,just don't know how to go about it,my husband has sent an email to the estate agent asking for written confirmation that our offer has not been accepted,I just don't understand that it's still on the market?
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 4,703 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    What is he going to do with this written confirmation if he receives it?

They don't want to sell to you. They aren't obligated to sell it to you just because you have your heart set on it. It sounds like it's time to move on.
    • Gemalou04
    • By Gemalou04 20th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gemalou04
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    It's written confirmation as opposed verbally on the phone,if the state agents are playing games then they would be reluctant to write to us as it's in black and white,the whole thing seems odd as when we put an offer and it was accepted it stated on Zoopla,rightmove and their website that it was under offer then the next day it's back on the market.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    • 9,823 Posts
    • 12,475 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Unless the EA is selling to a mate of theirs and being sneaky... who knows.

I would just do as above and let the vendor know. Of course, careful how you word it as it may well be them who's doing the gazumping

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 20th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    As above, note in the door, but this is something I've come across before. Estate agents can be a sneaky lot.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 20th Apr 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 4,528 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    The estate agent may not have realised that the property had been sold. You say 3 weeks ago but included in that is the Easter weekend and 2 Bank Holidays. It is possible that the buyer has had a problem getting the legals done and booking a survey because of the holidays. So it isn't really 3 whole weeks it is more like 2 weeks. I wouldn't have expected a sale to get very far in 2 weeks so just because it isn't marked sold doesn't mean that it is actually still for sale. It may just mean that the estate agents are doing what is quite common and leaving it on the market until the buyer spends some money on the purchase. You can't expect much to have happened in about 14 working days.

It sounds as if you are trying to force the seller to sell the house to you. They don't have to do that how ever much you want it.

What are you going to do if the estate agents don't reply to your husband's letter? The house in question is not anything to do with you now so why should they write a letter to you answering your questions about it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

3,451Users online

Martin's Twitter