Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • henrygregory
    • By henrygregory 20th Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    • 448Posts
    • 49Thanks
    henrygregory
    Cost of installing mid-height shower
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    Cost of installing mid-height shower 20th Apr 17 at 4:33 PM
    Hi, my partner and I have put down a deposit on a shared ownership affordable property.

Strangely, the bath will only come with a mixer tap shower, not a proper mid-height shower.

I have asked the housing association if it is possible we could have one installed now as the property is still being built. They have come back and said I would need to pay, within 24 hours, an additional £329 for this.

The details of the work are as follows...
    Supply & install an Aqualisa Midas 200 Shower with a riser rail kit which will be isolated back in the airing cupboard as a separate feed - £329.00

Does this cost sound about right? It is obviously quite a lot to pay up on a house we have not even seen yet. We already had to pay a £250 non-refundable deposit.

This is what I am looking to achieve (the bit in red) as I have back problems, and will struggle using the lower, hair washing shower.
Page 1
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 20th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    Given the pricing of unit itself is around £220,
    £329 is not so wide of the mark if inc fitting

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/aqualisa-midas-200-shower-gravity-low-pressure-md201bar
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 20th Apr 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:51 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:51 PM
    Yup, I agree, cost of shower plus fitting, this seems pretty reasonable.
    • henrygregory
    • By henrygregory 20th Apr 17, 5:04 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    henrygregory
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:04 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:04 PM
    Thanks guys, I did a little google and it seemed reasonable.
    My only stumbling block is that we would be putting down 250 deposit +329 all non-refundable on somewhere we have never seen. A bit of a gamble!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 20th Apr 17, 7:00 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 20,303 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:00 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:00 PM
    Does that include the extra tiling. Often with just a shower mixer tap the tiling is only half height, which is a pain if you want a proper shower as you can;'t get the matching tiles
    • henrygregory
    • By henrygregory 20th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    henrygregory
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    Does that include the extra tiling. Often with just a shower mixer tap the tiling is only half height, which is a pain if you want a proper shower as you can;'t get the matching tiles
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Hi, I would expect that it is for everything as the housing developer would be undertaking the work.

My concern is, would it cost much more than this to have the work done once the house is fully built as we are not yet sure if we definately want the house and are happy to lose our £250 deposit, but not £250+£329 shower install cost as well. It starts racking up.

Would not be an issue but the house has no roof so we have no idea what it will actually be like as we are not allowed to take a look yet.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 60,673 Posts
    • 354,713 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    It would cost a LOT more after it's built. £329 is "cheap as chips" compared to the price anybody would tell you after they'd pursed their lips on quoting and said "oooh ... "

Just do it.
    • henrygregory
    • By henrygregory 21st Apr 17, 8:27 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    henrygregory
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:27 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:27 AM
    It would cost a LOT more after it's built. £329 is "cheap as chips" compared to the price anybody would tell you after they'd pursed their lips on quoting and said "oooh ... "

Just do it.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Ok, well in that case, maybe I should take the gamble and pay this out too in the hope we do like the place and go for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,574Users online

Martin's Twitter