Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BusyBusyBusy
    • By BusyBusyBusy 20th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BusyBusyBusy
    Child Benefit - can I restart payments?
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    Child Benefit - can I restart payments? 20th Apr 17 at 4:31 PM
    Once the Child Benefit was means tested, we, as a family, no longer qualified as my husband's earnings as an employed person were over 50,000. I stopped claiming the benefit.
    Since then my husband has become self employed and limits his income to 49,500 pa to obviate higher rate tax. (Of course we still have to pay tax on any dividends from his company should be decide to withdraw cash from the company on an ad hoc basis.) Furthermore, I don't work but I do receive an income from my husband's company too.

Can I start reclaiming the Child Benefit now?

I understand that it needs to be included in tax returns, but since they are part of our normal yearly routine, it should be straightforward.

I was worried that I'm losing out on NI contributions and my State pension, but after reading some threads on the forum it seems that since my children were born in 20003 and 2005, that shouldn't affect me.
    I just want to get a handle on all this before I contact the HMRC. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 20th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    Is he self employed and a sole trader or a director of a ltd company? If he's self employed he can't limit his income, his income is the business net profit.

If a director of a ltd company he declares his wage, any employment benefits and dividends (as well as any other taxable income e.g. Interest, property etc).

You didn't need to stop claiming child benefit originally. Anyone can claim but if earning over 50,000 pay a percentage back and if over 60,000 pay it all back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin