Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • butters_86
    • By butters_86 20th Apr 17, 4:04 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    butters_86
    Pension Portfolio
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:04 PM
    Pension Portfolio 20th Apr 17 at 4:04 PM
    Hi All,
    Just wanting some advice on my pension investments. Iíve started working for a new employer and have picked the following funds for my contributions to go into. Iím only 30 so quite happy to leave them there for some time . I was with my previous employer for 10 years and plan on being with this one for some time as well. They are currently a private equity backed company with plans to float in several years. Contributions being paid in each month are £550.
    10% into HSBC Amanah Glb Equity Index 3
    10% into UK Equity Index (PMC) 3
    15% into World (Ex-UK) Eq Idx (PMC) 3
    10% into 10% L&G Invesco Perpetual Distribution Fund 3
    10% into 15% L&G Newton Real Return Fund 3
    10% into L&G Jupiter Merlin Income Portfolio Fund 3
    10% into Multi-Asset (PMC) 3
    10% into Henderson Preference & Bond 3
    10% into Threadneedle Managed Equity 3
    Thanks for your help with this.
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 5,946 Posts
    • 6,228 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    IMO too many funds for that small an investment, and there will, I'm sure be a massive overlap across many of these funds so you'll have pretty much ended up creating your own pseudo-(but global tracker at a much higher cost than just using a global tracker.

its also quite conservative for soemone that will eb investing for perhaps 30-40 years,and why is there an income fund?
    • webnibbler
    • By webnibbler 20th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    webnibbler
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    It's worth checking on charges too. With employers DC pension schemes there are usually default funds or portfolios to choose from that can be considerably cheaper than the managed fund options. For example my employer has agreed a 0.4% AMC for the default funds and portfolios, but choosing from the available managed funds attracts a 1.5% AMC.

While the default fund and portfolio options won't be particularly exciting they can be a cheaper off-the-shelf option over the managed funds.
    Last edited by webnibbler; 20-04-2017 at 4:41 PM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 87,231 Posts
    • 52,388 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    Like most of these threads it is difficult to see any real structure to that selection. I ought to have a copy and paste ready as it seems to be the same with each one.

Mixture of multi-asset and single sector. Allocations seem random rather than structured. Overcomplicating it without structure will likely result in lower returns than using a multi-asset fund.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 20th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 8,686 Posts
    • 12,961 Thanks
    chucknorris
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    Hi All,
    Just wanting some advice on my pension investments. Iíve started working for a new employer and have picked the following funds for my contributions to go into. Iím only 30 so quite happy to leave them there for some time . I was with my previous employer for 10 years and plan on being with this one for some time as well. They are currently a private equity backed company with plans to float in several years. Contributions being paid in each month are £550.
    10% into HSBC Amanah Glb Equity Index 3
    10% into UK Equity Index (PMC) 3
    15% into World (Ex-UK) Eq Idx (PMC) 3
    10% into 10% L&G Invesco Perpetual Distribution Fund 3
    10% into 15% L&G Newton Real Return Fund 3
    10% into L&G Jupiter Merlin Income Portfolio Fund 3
    10% into Multi-Asset (PMC) 3
    10% into Henderson Preference & Bond 3
    10% into Threadneedle Managed Equity 3
    Thanks for your help with this.
    Originally posted by butters_86
    Is the eventual value of your portfolio sufficient to include a property without skewing diversity?
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now also hike, cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.

For the avoidance of doubt Chuck Norris is an actor and an ex martial artist (not me)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,152Posts Today

7,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin