Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 4,520Posts
    • 25,281Thanks
    in need of direction
    A whole new world, for now
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    A whole new world, for now 20th Apr 17 at 3:59 PM
    So, hereís the new thread Iíve been promising myself for a few months. My old one, that served me so well, is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4855808

A potted history of me. Iím 49, live in NI with OH, DD and dog and DS is London based.
    Have been in debt for a lot of my life and came here post personal debt but with the aim to clear my mortgage. I believe DFD to be the right place for me as a lot of whatís outstanding on the mortgage related to consolidation of other debts. The rates were lower and I just didnít consider the payback period.
    Having been a wage slave for some 30 years, I recently jacked in my well paid and secure job for a number of reasons. While I love what I do, I hated the environment in which I did it. I regularly travelled 6 hours a day, on my own time and had to ask others to do likewise. That was the downside about caring for my clients. While I continued, and got others, to deliver at the expense of my home life, my health and my finances, the firm continued to let me. I decided that Iíd sooner have some self respect than stay there. We also had an unexpected and untimely family bereavement last year which sparked the whole ďlifeís too shortĒ train of thought. The downside is this is the first time since I was 17 that I donít have an income and itís a big adjustment.
    To address this, Iíve decided to go the self employed route, for now (hence the title). One problem though is timing. We have booked a holiday in May for OHís big birthday and Iíve decided that is set in stone. We will be travelling half way round the world for two weeks to initially see pandas and then the delights of Tokyo. Weíve only been together just over 10 years so this is really our first landmark birthday to be properly celebrated, we were still bedding in last big date.
    So, work wise, Iíve created my website, taken out a separate mobile contract and opened a business bank account. Iíve also registered with HMRC to keep things tidy.
    Otherwise, since being unemployed, Iíve had a parking ticket refunded, gained a free overnight stay following a complaint to a hotel that disappointed and have signed up for a new loyalty card for my local Co-Op. I also switched to a cheaper mobile service and got my boiler serviced which restored the hot water! First world pleasure that is so easy to overlook. I've donated two bikes to a local charity, done a number of strolls to offload donations to charity shop, claimed topcashback, £20 from PA, £5 swagbucks voucher and am trying to declutter. My last car went with the job so I realised what a paucity of local shops there in despite being only 15 mins by bus from the city centre.
    The lack of car was proving to be an issue for family and other reasons so today we get a PCH car delivered that we have committed to for 4 years. This takes us into the realm of needing to use the mortgage off set savings to fund expenses. It also gives me a minimum level of income to achieve as eating into savings bothers me.
    So, whatís the plan?
    I lodged £2000 in my business bank account at the start of March and most of it is still there. By September, Iíd like to have this repaid to either the savings or the mortgage or to have secured an income stream that will enable that to happen shortly thereafter. Iíd also like a £1k buffer in the business account to make sure that I can take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
    I have applied for a few part time consultancy type posts, been unsuccessful at interview for the first, but will actively seek out these opportunities. Iíve provided associates with my contact details but come June, I will start more actively promoting myself. Iíve sought input from my LA business support services but to little avail so far. Iíve attended a few courses and networking events and will continue with these to keep some kind of a profile and, post holiday, will be creating an event that will hopefully income generate and/or build profile.
    I will continue to seek out vouchers and deals and will try to live cheaply but donít feel I can ask this of the others in the house as giving up the job was down to me. I will also get rid of extraneous items, for cash where possible.
    What I can see is that despite living semi frugally, or so I believed, we wasted A LOT!
    Today my outstanding mortgage is £83,478.58. By 31 Dec, based on just making standard payments, this will be £78,900. My target is for this to be £75,000.
    Today my available off set pot is £3,415.43. By 31 Dec, Iíd like this to be at £5,500.
    The truth is Iíd like the first figure to be a lot lower and the second to be a lot higher but I need to start somewhere.
    We still have our emergency fund intact and hopefully enough in the current account to address our living expenses shortfall at least to the year end. Spends for the holiday are ringfenced with any left overs going on extras for all.
    I have to confess to having what Iíve heard described as an internal Verucca Salt! When I want it, I want it now. I need to learn some restraint both in terms of shopping and also sugar consumption. Itís weird but one thing |I really struggle with is what to have for lunch.
    Anyhow, now that the car is here, Iím off to the dry cleaners and to pick up some groceries as I have a £5 voucher off a £25 shop. I may also buy a new toilet brush!
    Today I am grateful for
    The support I have consistently received from here

Company from the dog

E Mail
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Page 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,223 Thanks
    beanielou
    400k.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 7th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 25,281 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Yeah, still can't understand why it didn't go through.
    Yesterday I had a 24 minute call,mainly on hold, with HMRC on a matter ongoing since March. There is £1180 at stake here plus I'm due a tax rebate for last tax year that I don't even want to try and claim until this is sorted. It's not good. As a consequence, I've emailed their parliamentary business unit.

Yesterday I got some stuff through on the small job agreed last week so I can hopefully get started on that and may even see another invoice go out in July. Only a quarter of what I used to earn each month but it all helps. Recently my dodgey knee has been playing up but I need to collect a script from my gp so I'm going to use my insoles and try walking there and back. My sister's house is en route so I can always stop off if needs be.
    Also, need to post a card for DS's birthday next week. I funded concert ticket and that transfer has already gone through but he still likes to get a present. This will be based around chocolate and tea towels. I don't know what he does with them but always seems to need these.

Today I will also do a shopping list to make use of my £5 off a £25 spend over the weekend. We have a double bank holiday here next week and OH is also taking the Friday so we shall probably just hibernate which means supplies will be needed.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,223 Thanks
    beanielou
    I wonder what your DS does do with the tea towels

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 7th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 25,281 Thanks
    in need of direction
    who knows? i get that dd regularly throws teaspoons out with yogurt or ice cream cartons but tea towels!
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 7th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 13,294 Thanks
    parsniphead
    if my DS takes his plate back to the kitchen with instructions to scrape the platr he just throws it in the bin. Im always fishing crocks from the bin.

Boys eh.

Ringing HMRC is a nightmare. DH works for them and refuses point blank to ring them re tax credits. I have to do it. He tells me so many stories of utter chaos. I hope you get things sorted soon.
    Debts as of 08/07/17 Credit cards £7811 majority on 0%. Car loan £1500 my half. Mortgage £36272 remaining balance (10 yrs 2 mnths remaining - i think not). Emergency fund £500/500
    GAZELLE INTENSE AND GAINING TRACTION
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 25,281 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Shock! Horror! Disbelief! Not only did I get an hmrc callback within 24 hours as opposed to the 48 hour target, I spoke to a person who provided their name, took ownership and understood the issue and has, hopefully, resolved it. Such a weight off my mind. To be a supplier to the public sector in the south of Ireland, you need a tax clearance certificate. You can only gain this if your tax affairs are in order. Because of the HMRC error in March, mine weren't so there was no point in my applying. So, we have a job for today!

Yesterday I posted the birthday parcel containing 2 tea towels, 2 irish passport applications, 1 birthday card and 1 finger of fudge. It cost £3.40 but gives him something to open. I also got over £40 of goodies from thorntons, free postage to his address, and swagbucks that should double up all for £26. It's a lot to spend on chocolate but, if he were home or we were there, a meal out would cost a lot more. Just wish postage for dd would cost so little! Percy pigs, double dockers, fingers of fudge and tetley tea bags weigh a lot. When at post office, I also went to gp to collect prescription. My leg and back were so sore but I did it. Also stopped off in coop at got a cauliflower reduced to 27p.

My nutritional intake is really not good and I frequently first panic than eat toast at lunchtimes. So my plan is to make soup. I like soup, there's no loss of vegetable goodness and I have a reasonably sized freezer that means I can alternate varieties. Today's shopping will include whatever on offer veg I can combine with my £5 off voucher. I will also drop a bag into the chazza and get meds. OH has declared that he will cut the grass before the rain predicted for tomorrow hits. There's a lot to be done in both the garden and the garage so fingers crossed that will get underway.

I have decided that I would aim to lose 32lbs by end of February next year. The big project at end of March will require financial outlay and will probably have a number of photographs. I don't want to be more worried about how I look and or feel than to be able to enjoy it. This will not bring me to the ideal weight for my height but will make such a difference and will bring me to a weight that is significant to me. Anyhow, have just been offered another cuppa so will have that and then get things underway. Fingers crossed I can nag or persuade OH to get something on ebay.
    Progress not perfection.
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 8th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 3,049 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Hooray for progress with HMRC and the goals. £400k though, eh - someone's doing well
    Create credit card buffer fund £12.93/£1000 1.4%paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 25,281 Thanks
    in need of direction
    grocery shopping done inc the build your own pizza that is currently in the oven. also, given we have a dry day, OH cut the grass and I weeded for approx 2.5 hours. i'm shattered but think I may have identified a spot for a beautiful black lace tree that has grown too big for where it currently is. also picked another bowl of raspberries that will either be donated to friends or frozen. we seem to have a bumper batch this year. anyhow, pizza's ready so gotta go
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 13,294 Thanks
    parsniphead
    fantastic news on getting the tax problem sorted. Thats a massive frog to deal with.

Ive never heard of a black lace tree. It sound beautiful, i must google it.

Enjoy the pizza. Nothing better than homemade.
    Debts as of 08/07/17 Credit cards £7811 majority on 0%. Car loan £1500 my half. Mortgage £36272 remaining balance (10 yrs 2 mnths remaining - i think not). Emergency fund £500/500
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 8,067 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Great on the gardening progress. A black lace tree?
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/July 2017=7,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 9th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 3,049 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Great on the gardening progress. A black lace tree?
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    It's a black elder with beautiful pink flowers. We have one in our garden too - really lovely, but grows so fast. Luckily just height rather than spreading too much. We chainsaw ours down hard and it just shoots right back up!
    Create credit card buffer fund £12.93/£1000 1.4%paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 9th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 25,281 Thanks
    in need of direction
    That's good to know in terms of replanting it. Today I did a 5.45 airport run as a favour than fell back into bed. I hate that I have to pay £1 for a drop off. It's just one of those small charges that really gets me as there's no alternative. Apart from that and consuming brunch, little has been done bar two phone calls. The result of one is that I have a super organised friend coming on fri to structure my admin. She's also swinging by today to collect some raspberries.
    I also faced down mr Wii and, to my shock, appear to have lost 1 lb. my target is 32 by end of feb so, that's it started. Just need to lose another 2 to get into the twenties after which it'll be to hit the first half stone. Anyhow, need to go get myself presentable. Things to do today include the cheapo cauliflower soup, cheapo carrot and coriander based on whoopsied stuff from yesterday and some more weeding. Who knows, I may even be treated to some contact from my offspring but, than again, probably not!
    Last edited by in need of direction; 09-07-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 9th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 3,295 Posts
    • 9,302 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Oh 5.45am - that is soooooo early.

I thought I was bad up at 7.30am for work

Well done on losing another 1lb.

I sat today & wrote down all my goals for weightloss, just need to stop stuffing my fat little face & start losing the weight.

WI tomorrow for me, dreading it!

Dxxx
    Goals
    Debt free by Christmas 2017
    Save for Christmas 2017
    Goal weight of 10st 7lbs by Christmas
    Add to deposit savings
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,223 Thanks
    beanielou
    I love cauliflower soup

Good news on HMRC

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 9th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 25,281 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Today I tackled the plastic container cupboard of doom. Got rid of some lids for which there were no bottoms. Have now identified some soup containers. First batch of soup made and raspberries collected. Also, OH put five things on ebay. Fingers crossed that they go and bring in some pennies. I also identified a book to depart that may get us to minimum for music magpie so that's a job for tomorrow. We have the double bank holiday this week so I'd sooner get the books in transit pre that disruption.

Today I am grateful for
    Having the means to do a favour
    Moving closer to a weightloss mindset
    Ebay listings
    Progress not perfection.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 10th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,295 Posts
    • 9,302 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Fab work from you both.

I have a few things listed on Ebay too, few views & 1 watcher so fingers crossed.

Dxxx
    Goals
    Debt free by Christmas 2017
    Save for Christmas 2017
    Goal weight of 10st 7lbs by Christmas
    Add to deposit savings
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 13,294 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Plastic container cupboard. That's a brave move. What an awful job to face.

Homemade soup is the best. Yum.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 10th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 25,281 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I'll let you know after lunch. It had to cool to be liquidised then reheated to finish off with cream so I decided to leave that bit until I was going to eat it. Today I am determined to hound a client to give me the remaining info needed to get a job done. It doesn't pay much but would address the first £500 repayment to my personal account which would more than meet the gap relating to monthly outgoings. I also need to provide a wedding present for a nephew in September so it would help with that.
    Apart from that, both music magpie and pop master are musts today along with some laundry, etc. I might also make another batch of soup that could be tomorrow's lunch and could also go towards the freezer. As part of my grocery shop on Saturday, I bought the kitchen gloves needed to make use of oven cleaner so today I will get at least one oven sorted.
    Will also visit sb and see what I can come up with while they have a double up offer on, thank you MSE for that.
    Other things to do include avoiding the m&s sale preview as I don't have any gift vouchers to spend.
    I'm determined to make both work and lifestyle (diet) in roads this week. If I also manage some decluttering, especially for money, so much the better.
    Progress not perfection.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 10th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 25,281 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Not the best of days. The soup was okish. Had a slightly dodgey tummy this morning so was a bit worried how it'd cope with the soup but that was ok. Today I hit 5 fruit and veg though portion size may not be great. Got some good news re big project.
    Work wise, was considering a joint piece of work but other party pulled out and I can't go it alone. Got bad news about one friend going through chemo who has had to be hospitalised, not sure why. Was also contacted by another friend who has been for scans and has now been booked in for a biopsy. Gotta wonder sometimes why rotten things happen to nice people.
    Having struggled to eat carefully all day, just had two pieces of ginger cake with a cuppa. I wasn't hungry just wanted something nice. Not sure why it was two slices though. Anyhow, today I'm struggling but am grateful for
    An ebay watcher
    Cash out from pa
    A hug when I needed it
    Hitting minimum for mm parcel.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,223 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sad about your friends who are not very well.
    Take care of you xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,593Posts Today

8,623Users online

Martin's Twitter