Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 4,701Posts
    • 26,483Thanks
    in need of direction
    A whole new world, for now
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    A whole new world, for now 20th Apr 17 at 3:59 PM
    So, hereís the new thread Iíve been promising myself for a few months. My old one, that served me so well, is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4855808

A potted history of me. Iím 49, live in NI with OH, DD and dog and DS is London based.
    Have been in debt for a lot of my life and came here post personal debt but with the aim to clear my mortgage. I believe DFD to be the right place for me as a lot of whatís outstanding on the mortgage related to consolidation of other debts. The rates were lower and I just didnít consider the payback period.
    Having been a wage slave for some 30 years, I recently jacked in my well paid and secure job for a number of reasons. While I love what I do, I hated the environment in which I did it. I regularly travelled 6 hours a day, on my own time and had to ask others to do likewise. That was the downside about caring for my clients. While I continued, and got others, to deliver at the expense of my home life, my health and my finances, the firm continued to let me. I decided that Iíd sooner have some self respect than stay there. We also had an unexpected and untimely family bereavement last year which sparked the whole ďlifeís too shortĒ train of thought. The downside is this is the first time since I was 17 that I donít have an income and itís a big adjustment.
    To address this, Iíve decided to go the self employed route, for now (hence the title). One problem though is timing. We have booked a holiday in May for OHís big birthday and Iíve decided that is set in stone. We will be travelling half way round the world for two weeks to initially see pandas and then the delights of Tokyo. Weíve only been together just over 10 years so this is really our first landmark birthday to be properly celebrated, we were still bedding in last big date.
    So, work wise, Iíve created my website, taken out a separate mobile contract and opened a business bank account. Iíve also registered with HMRC to keep things tidy.
    Otherwise, since being unemployed, Iíve had a parking ticket refunded, gained a free overnight stay following a complaint to a hotel that disappointed and have signed up for a new loyalty card for my local Co-Op. I also switched to a cheaper mobile service and got my boiler serviced which restored the hot water! First world pleasure that is so easy to overlook. I've donated two bikes to a local charity, done a number of strolls to offload donations to charity shop, claimed topcashback, £20 from PA, £5 swagbucks voucher and am trying to declutter. My last car went with the job so I realised what a paucity of local shops there in despite being only 15 mins by bus from the city centre.
    The lack of car was proving to be an issue for family and other reasons so today we get a PCH car delivered that we have committed to for 4 years. This takes us into the realm of needing to use the mortgage off set savings to fund expenses. It also gives me a minimum level of income to achieve as eating into savings bothers me.
    So, whatís the plan?
    I lodged £2000 in my business bank account at the start of March and most of it is still there. By September, Iíd like to have this repaid to either the savings or the mortgage or to have secured an income stream that will enable that to happen shortly thereafter. Iíd also like a £1k buffer in the business account to make sure that I can take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
    I have applied for a few part time consultancy type posts, been unsuccessful at interview for the first, but will actively seek out these opportunities. Iíve provided associates with my contact details but come June, I will start more actively promoting myself. Iíve sought input from my LA business support services but to little avail so far. Iíve attended a few courses and networking events and will continue with these to keep some kind of a profile and, post holiday, will be creating an event that will hopefully income generate and/or build profile.
    I will continue to seek out vouchers and deals and will try to live cheaply but donít feel I can ask this of the others in the house as giving up the job was down to me. I will also get rid of extraneous items, for cash where possible.
    What I can see is that despite living semi frugally, or so I believed, we wasted A LOT!
    Today my outstanding mortgage is £83,478.58. By 31 Dec, based on just making standard payments, this will be £78,900. My target is for this to be £75,000.
    Today my available off set pot is £3,415.43. By 31 Dec, Iíd like this to be at £5,500.
    The truth is Iíd like the first figure to be a lot lower and the second to be a lot higher but I need to start somewhere.
    We still have our emergency fund intact and hopefully enough in the current account to address our living expenses shortfall at least to the year end. Spends for the holiday are ringfenced with any left overs going on extras for all.
    I have to confess to having what Iíve heard described as an internal Verucca Salt! When I want it, I want it now. I need to learn some restraint both in terms of shopping and also sugar consumption. Itís weird but one thing |I really struggle with is what to have for lunch.
    Anyhow, now that the car is here, Iím off to the dry cleaners and to pick up some groceries as I have a £5 voucher off a £25 shop. I may also buy a new toilet brush!
    Today I am grateful for
    The support I have consistently received from here

Company from the dog

E Mail
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Page 5
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 5th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    You think? Hope it takes up residence!

Kicked off today with just a cuppa rather than the usual toast. Does anyone else just eat out of habit? Yesterday I was at the shop before eating and enjoyed breakfast so much more. Another overcast day here that is still warm. It just feels bleugh. Still, things to do so need to get a wiggle on.
    Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Progress not perfection.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 5th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Need to update my sig to reflect this month's mortgage payment. I hate those months where it doesn't bring me into a new thousand. However, interest goes on at the end of this month so I think it'd be even worse to then go back up ifswim.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 5th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 9,765 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    It is so annoying when you are so close to that new bracket!

Also bugs the life out of me when my interest adds part way through the month

Dxxx
    Starting Debt - £15,000
    Remaining Debt - £1,980

Starting Weight - 16st 7lbs
    Current Weight - 15st 3lbs
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 6th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Today was an odd day. Submitted a job application and dealt with my two clients. Paid my annual rates bill online to gain a discount but it was otherwise an NSD. OH exchanged unspent holiday currency which will hopefully pay for tomorrow's dental check up. Also had a row with a corporate who, I believe, lied to me. I get that mistakes can be made, I just get so irritated by people who make assumptions and tell lies to justify their actions and views. Question is if it's worth pursuing.
    It's one to ponder overnight.
    Tonight I am grateful for
    My incredibly long suffering OH
    Friends who answer random questions
    Ginger nuts
    Progress not perfection.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 7th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 9,765 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Oh thats a buggar so it is.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Love your grateful post!

Dxxx
    Starting Debt - £15,000
    Remaining Debt - £1,980

Starting Weight - 16st 7lbs
    Current Weight - 15st 3lbs
    • hex2
    • By hex2 7th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 79,669 Thanks
    hex2
    Don't feel guilty. Making you an offer (that you may refuse) doesn't stop them from making the 'next appoint able' candidate an offer.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    aren't I an arrogant one? isn't it weird how I can go from total insecurity to assuming worrying about my response to what will be a much sought after job!
    yesterday i finally transferred the cash from my ISA to my current account to cover holiday, rates bill etc. I'm panicking a bit as i'm struggling with a lack of income even though i have access to funds currently so I transferred £500 less. I'd set the amount before getting my second commission which should net me around £500 so I just decided to leave the money where it was. It'll put me under a tad more pressure but hey, that's maybe what i need as i'm dithering.
    to achieve my target, I need to come up with an additional £945 pcm between now and the end of the year. this seems like an absolute nightmare however, when my first big fee hits, I intend to transfer the £2k I used to set up my business bank account back to personal account so that will bring the monthly target down to £645. that is in addition to the current £400 monthly deficit eroding my personal account. If however, i don't aim for this, i definitely won't achieve it. That's the big learning from this site.
    On other news, had dentist yesterday. 6 month check up scale and polish for £16.40. I see this as a worthwhile investment!
    I also did some grocery shopping and got a number of whoopsied items inc the 26p bag of salad that become OH's dinner yesterday along with some on offer chicken. i did however spend a total of £45 but £14 of that was on really good meat that will be the protein for 14-16 meals. i also picked up one item for my mum that I will deliver today. £5 went on a mag that had an expensive eyeliner as a free gift. DD likes this brand and it is light to send to the US for her july birthday. (considerably lighter than the Percy Pigs and Tetley teabags that are mandatory!)
    I have decided that I have to take one 2 business development activities each day. Today, this will be issuing 2 follow up emails. If I get a job cleared, it may also be chasing up our LA small business unit. I registered with them in April, received a case number with an email saying that there would be a 5 day response and since then, nothing despite a phone call from me. this really isn't good enough esp as I know they get ring fenced funding from central government to deliver this.
    anyhow, need to get a cuppa then get a wiggle on. Fingers crossed for my emails.
    Progress not perfection.
    • hex2
    • By hex2 8th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 79,669 Thanks
    hex2
    Not arrogant - positive thinking!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 9th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    so, gotta promise of a £200 job in september from one of yesterday's emails. also, made £5 with pa. we have been living off our reduced price haul this week though i met a friend for lunch today. i'd made a purchase for my fellow diner and so just spent £5 on lunch. then used a voucher for a free blow dry at the next door salon. left a £2 tip.
    sat and watched the paxman election show last night until after half two. i am tired today and am truly appalled at how things have panned out. the thought of Arlene Foster (see cash for ash) wielding so much power horrifies me.
    today i am grateful for
    good friends
    reliable internet
    naptime
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    £205 is a good day's work, well done. And your hair looks really good.

I think most of the country needs a good night's sleep today! By the morning we may still be reeling but we will be starting to find our feet again.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I know the money is good. It's waiting til October for it to crystallise that bothers me. Odd sort of weekend. The plus side was that no takeaways were consumed and the car didn't move at all. OH got the grass cut on Saturday before a deluge hit. We also watched a movie together which was lovely but rarely happens.
    On the housework side, we cleared paperwork with lots of filing and shredding being done. I'm grateful that shredded paper can go in the brown bin. I've also identified a new home for a teddy bear, bnwt, that dd has agreed to part with. Unfortunately, apart from washing up, there was little to no housework done.
    Today, I intend to use a timer, spend half an hour on my living room and fifteen mins in my bathroom then shower and dress in time for breakfast to be consumed along with pop master. I know flylady says to get dressed first but I'd sooner get the heavy cleaning out of the way before being clean and ready to face the world.
    I have a prescription to get filled and OH has asked for some salad to be purchased. He likes mixed bags which aren't the most economical but he does eat the contents and it saves on purchasing lunches. Today I would also like to get a work task out the door and have my 2 business development activities to be done.
    So, in 45 mins I will
    Dust living room and polish
    Wash sofas
    Brush up and wipe down hearth
    Hoover
    Wash floor
    I will then do a wash done of bathroom, happily I deal with the toilet every day.
    All this will be done with a timer. 30 mins living room, 15 bathroom.
    I will report back so please nag if or when you see the gaps.
    Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 9,670 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Wow, good system. I'll be watching. I might even be copying
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,490
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    how delusional am I? took two and a half hours but living room and bathroom done properly. bed stripped and bedding to go into washing machine tomorrow. tomorrow i will do hall, stairs and landing. the manky fanlight might even be finally cleaned.
    I got 2 business development activities, visited the chemist and the coop for salad, mushrooms and reduced baps that, along with tuna mayo, made dinner for me. OH had salad and salmon. i will now repair the elastic on a mattress cover instead of just putting it back on the bed as i usually do. today i'm grateful for
    whoopsied items
    a prompt response
    the ability to sew - thank you primary school teachers
    Progress not perfection.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Jun 17, 10:59 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Today has not been a good day. Nothing majorly bad, other than the weather, but a variety of wee things that weren't good. I'm drawing a line under it now and going to bed. Tomorrow I head to dublin to see Aerosmith. When I was employed, we'd have booked in somewhere. To keep cost down, we are driving back afterwards and I'm dreading it. I'm struggling to look forward to things at the minute.
    Today I am grateful for
    Lunch from perishable supplies that wouldn't have stayed good for much longer
    Dinner from the freezer
    Another car free day managed
    Getting some laundry dried between the showers
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,348 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your trip
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    So, doesn't time fly. Aerosmith were awesome. Also, by having worked so much in dublin I was able to find free parking that got me a speedy exit from the city so at least an hour and sixteen euros minimum saved. Security was stepped up. Despite having grown up in NI with a fully armed police force, it was odd to see gardai carrying guns. People however behaved as the should and the whole thing went off seamlessly. Pat down body searches did bring me back to my childhood. Not a way of life that anyone should need to return to.
    Thursday was a quiet day followed by a networking event and fri was a funeral, a training course and then a big shop using my £12 off voucher from sainsbobs. This included several items best before today that were well reduced and now reside in my freezer.
    One of my sisters came to the funeral with me (ex in law) for moral support so I treated her to lunch by way of a thank you. Apart from that and topping up diesel post concert, spends have been on essentials only.
    I transferred last months expenses from the business account to my personal account today and also requested £5 from £co. Also managed another PA survey for £1.25. CC bill arrived today with the last of the holiday spend plus the annual rates bill so that's the line drawn and only essential items are to be purchased henceforth.
    Need to find a way to income generate soon.
    Today I also managed two lots of laundry that are line dried and a third lot is ready to be done tomorrow morning. I love the smell of line dried laundry though it does set my hay fever off.
    Today I am grateful for
    A fridge that allows me to skip the shops for a day
    A car free day
    On line banking
    Being able to put business the way of a friend.
    Progress not perfection.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 19th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 26,483 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Today I went for a retinopathy review, all good. I also visited chemist, grocery store, bakery and my mum. In addition I swung by chazza and off loaded two full carrier bags. I then wittered away my day playing spider solitaire, ignoring work work and housework. Also dwelled on issue between me and oh. This whole income reduction / self employment thing can fairly magnify relationship issues. Also despaired of what appears to be thrown up daily by news.
    Just remembered, also spent £8.05 posting a forgotten hairbrush and a bar of chocolate to dd.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Glad to hear your retinopathy review was good news, and well done on 2 bags gone, out of the house, blessing someone else and so forth. Enjoy the resulting space!

(My house needs a major sweep-through and lots taken out at the moment. For some reason the computer is much more appealing).

As for relationship tensions and the miseries of national news, have a hug from me. All these things will pass, hold on and you'll get through.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,348 Thanks
    beanielou
    Keep plodding xx
    Blimey that postage was dear!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 9,670 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done on decluttering. Glad your medical appointment went well.
    It is hot and the country is going insane, so considering all of that, you are doing well.
    Be kind to yourself
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,490
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

7,154Users online

Martin's Twitter