Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 4,565Posts
    • 25,580Thanks
    in need of direction
    A whole new world, for now
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    A whole new world, for now 20th Apr 17 at 3:59 PM
    So, hereís the new thread Iíve been promising myself for a few months. My old one, that served me so well, is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4855808

A potted history of me. Iím 49, live in NI with OH, DD and dog and DS is London based.
    Have been in debt for a lot of my life and came here post personal debt but with the aim to clear my mortgage. I believe DFD to be the right place for me as a lot of whatís outstanding on the mortgage related to consolidation of other debts. The rates were lower and I just didnít consider the payback period.
    Having been a wage slave for some 30 years, I recently jacked in my well paid and secure job for a number of reasons. While I love what I do, I hated the environment in which I did it. I regularly travelled 6 hours a day, on my own time and had to ask others to do likewise. That was the downside about caring for my clients. While I continued, and got others, to deliver at the expense of my home life, my health and my finances, the firm continued to let me. I decided that Iíd sooner have some self respect than stay there. We also had an unexpected and untimely family bereavement last year which sparked the whole ďlifeís too shortĒ train of thought. The downside is this is the first time since I was 17 that I donít have an income and itís a big adjustment.
    To address this, Iíve decided to go the self employed route, for now (hence the title). One problem though is timing. We have booked a holiday in May for OHís big birthday and Iíve decided that is set in stone. We will be travelling half way round the world for two weeks to initially see pandas and then the delights of Tokyo. Weíve only been together just over 10 years so this is really our first landmark birthday to be properly celebrated, we were still bedding in last big date.
    So, work wise, Iíve created my website, taken out a separate mobile contract and opened a business bank account. Iíve also registered with HMRC to keep things tidy.
    Otherwise, since being unemployed, Iíve had a parking ticket refunded, gained a free overnight stay following a complaint to a hotel that disappointed and have signed up for a new loyalty card for my local Co-Op. I also switched to a cheaper mobile service and got my boiler serviced which restored the hot water! First world pleasure that is so easy to overlook. I've donated two bikes to a local charity, done a number of strolls to offload donations to charity shop, claimed topcashback, £20 from PA, £5 swagbucks voucher and am trying to declutter. My last car went with the job so I realised what a paucity of local shops there in despite being only 15 mins by bus from the city centre.
    The lack of car was proving to be an issue for family and other reasons so today we get a PCH car delivered that we have committed to for 4 years. This takes us into the realm of needing to use the mortgage off set savings to fund expenses. It also gives me a minimum level of income to achieve as eating into savings bothers me.
    So, whatís the plan?
    I lodged £2000 in my business bank account at the start of March and most of it is still there. By September, Iíd like to have this repaid to either the savings or the mortgage or to have secured an income stream that will enable that to happen shortly thereafter. Iíd also like a £1k buffer in the business account to make sure that I can take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
    I have applied for a few part time consultancy type posts, been unsuccessful at interview for the first, but will actively seek out these opportunities. Iíve provided associates with my contact details but come June, I will start more actively promoting myself. Iíve sought input from my LA business support services but to little avail so far. Iíve attended a few courses and networking events and will continue with these to keep some kind of a profile and, post holiday, will be creating an event that will hopefully income generate and/or build profile.
    I will continue to seek out vouchers and deals and will try to live cheaply but donít feel I can ask this of the others in the house as giving up the job was down to me. I will also get rid of extraneous items, for cash where possible.
    What I can see is that despite living semi frugally, or so I believed, we wasted A LOT!
    Today my outstanding mortgage is £83,478.58. By 31 Dec, based on just making standard payments, this will be £78,900. My target is for this to be £75,000.
    Today my available off set pot is £3,415.43. By 31 Dec, Iíd like this to be at £5,500.
    The truth is Iíd like the first figure to be a lot lower and the second to be a lot higher but I need to start somewhere.
    We still have our emergency fund intact and hopefully enough in the current account to address our living expenses shortfall at least to the year end. Spends for the holiday are ringfenced with any left overs going on extras for all.
    I have to confess to having what Iíve heard described as an internal Verucca Salt! When I want it, I want it now. I need to learn some restraint both in terms of shopping and also sugar consumption. Itís weird but one thing |I really struggle with is what to have for lunch.
    Anyhow, now that the car is here, Iím off to the dry cleaners and to pick up some groceries as I have a £5 voucher off a £25 shop. I may also buy a new toilet brush!
    Today I am grateful for
    The support I have consistently received from here

Company from the dog

E Mail
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Page 10
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Jul 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,580 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Thanks beanie. You know, I look at people who are dealing with stuff and just getting on with things and just feel so completely worthless. Then I feel guilty for my pity party when there are so many worse off than me. Really wish I could sort my head out.

Anyhow, today I've to be at my sister's house for ten. We are going to a local credit union for me to open an account. Since leaving work, I have no life insurance cover. However, this credit union, and maybe others pays out £2k on death of a member provided they have a balance of at least £50. Also, they are running a draw each month to the end of the year for a cash prize. To be in this you have to recruit a new member or be a new member. My sister is a member so we might as well get entered into the draw as this was something I wanted to do anyway. There are also cost implications for big project so this will provide a separate pot of money especially as both our local banks closed recently so access to other branches are a car or bus ride away.
    Today OH should have an early finish and our plan is to get home, close the door and wait for bonfire related madness to pass. While I hate not seeing DS on his birthday, he was never really able to celebrate it here due to tribal happenings.
    I've decided that I will chase up a potential client. At best, it'll show them I'm interested and move things along. At worst. I'll know that that ship has sailed. Either option is preferable to sitting waiting.
    Lunch is unlikely to be a soup day as I may be at my sister's for that.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Progress not perfection.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Sorry to hear about your friends .

Good to see you opening up a credit union account- Is this a savings account? I'm not familiar with them.

I hope you manage to get all that you want done and hopefully get the right outcome re chasing client.
    Check out my Diary
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 11th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Sorry to hear about your friends INOD. Sending best wishes that they will be improving soon.

You are not worthless. Like I have just posted on DIA's thread you inspire so many people. You work hard to achieve what you want and have done so much. Like you said to me the weight of everything to do can become heavy. Try to give yourself a break. You are fab
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas Day...all of it.

GAZELLE INTENSE AND GAINING TRACTION
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 47,172 Posts
    • 169,448 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are so not worthless.
    You inspire me to keep plodding.
    You are my friend.
    Simple
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,580 Thanks
    in need of direction
    boo hoo, you guys are immense
    Progress not perfection.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,580 Thanks
    in need of direction
    declined lunch in sister's, just had a coffee. had some more of the not great soup while telling myself it's as much about the nutritional value as the flavour - it'd need to be. put one portion in the freezer and another in the fridge for OH who will tart it up with cheese.

today i made a small quality of life decision. just something silly that should have been addressed ages ago and will probably require an outlay of around £25. feel so silly that i haven't addressed this before but time for action rather than regrets. my sis just made a throw away comment and it was as if a light bulb went on.

Tried eating the frog by contacting the client. no response so a voicemail was left. fingers crossed that I hear back.

Chandelier, the credit union account is indeed a savings account. the organisation operates for the benefit of members and the one i've joined also has links to and works with a former client who I respect. interest rates aren't great but that's true of any low risk account. I'm going to use it for bits and pieces of additional income e.g. sales of stuff but need to recover my initial deposit of £51. There's £7 odds in paypal from ziffit and the music magpie box goes off today so I'll be more than a quarter of the way there from that.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 47,172 Posts
    • 169,448 Thanks
    beanielou
    Quality of life decisions are good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 8,485 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Your day sounds like a positive one. Thanks for the tip about life insurance and your CU
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,580 Thanks
    in need of direction
    potential client called back. they have a delay but should have stuff through to me by the weekend. this will enable me to do a quote and to keep my fingers crossed. this afternoon I sent the box off, made a drop off to the chazza, got a bag of salad reduced to 55p that i part paid for with a 25p voucher. we then ate dinner from the fridge using up some bits and pieces. Today I am grateful for
    the health of my children (a friend of my nephew died yesterday, less than a month after his 29th birthday)
    minor investments for big results
    babysteps - so much better than no steps
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 47,172 Posts
    • 169,448 Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps are the best

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Jul 17, 7:17 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,805 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Morning INOD. Didn't want to read and run but just a quick note as we are in the midst of moving house.

We are all trying to get through life the best way we can. Be kind to yourself - you wouldn't tell a friend they were worthless so be a good friend to yourself and tell yourself how strong and brave you are. Which, of course, is true

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 0.94% paid House Deposit Contribution: 72%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 9,396 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    God that is horrible, so young.

It makes you think doesn't it.

Hope you are all okay.

Dxxx
    Goals
    Debt free by Christmas 2017
    Save for Christmas 2017
    Goal weight of 10st 7lbs by Christmas
    Add to deposit savings
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    parsniphead
    That's sad news INOD. We should be grateful for our lives, shouldn't we.

Fingers crossed for the quote. I hope you get the work.

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,580 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Thanks for visiting, commenting etc. got the stuff needed emailed through so will crack on with the quote today. Yesterday was a kinda do nothing much day though we did manage laundry, meals all made from supplies and to narrow options on next march's big project. We also made a small decision which will now be set in stone.
    The friend going through chemo is still in hospital and had surgery yesterday to deal with infection related to her March surgery. She agreed to a visit and has since changed her mind. I get that she doesn't want people to see her when she's not looking great but wish I could do something to support her. I'm thinking of writing a letter and dropping it over to the hospital but am worried about getting the balance right.
    I'm also worried that things are worse than she has accepted or than she wants people to know.
    Anyhow, tasks for today include
    Pairing gardening gloves (with pretty useless clothes pegs) and finding a home for them. I will also assemble a table in the garage to be used as a sorting surface.
    Some cutting back in the garden as it's brown bin day tomorrow
    Paying myself June's expenses
    Getting in touch with a few friends

Yesterday I cleared out a cupboard onto a double bed. It'd be good to get that sorted. While doing that I identified a pair of shoes and a bag to go to the charity shop. I also cleaned out a large plastic box yesterday which is going to be the charity box so I won't have stuff littering the house while I'm gathering up.

Today I am grateful for positive news of what can be a contentious time here.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 47,172 Posts
    • 169,448 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great idea to write your friend a note to let her know that you are thinking about her

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 8,485 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    What beanie said...
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,580 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Didn't pay myself expenses but did get the quote issued. I reckon it'll be at least Monday before I hear. Other than that, all tasks were completed for the day. I also called mother as today was the last day her takeaway of choice is open in July. She couldn't resist so I did the pickup and dropped it in with the excuse of needing to get our stuff home while it was still hot. It broke the ice without pretence of great friendship iykwim.
    My friend was taken back into surgery today. Am worried. She did say that one of her sisters was home from Scotland to see her. Hopefully this wasn't a necessary trip.
    Today I am grateful for
    Chips
    Productive activity in the garden
    Getting table and chairs under wraps before the rain hit
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 14th Jul 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I hope all turns out well for your friend. I agree with the others, perhaps writing a letter may help her knowing she has people who care.

Grateful for chips... That made me chuckle

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 25,580 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Some days only chips will do. Served with salt, vinegar, hp sauce and sandwiched between white batch bread spread with real butter!
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 14th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Mmm chip buttys are nice. For me it cheese and stuffing sandwiches.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,114Posts Today

8,611Users online

Martin's Twitter