Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnmk1
    • By Johnmk1 20th Apr 17, 3:40 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Johnmk1
    Dvla drug test advice needed
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:40 PM
    Dvla drug test advice needed 20th Apr 17 at 3:40 PM
    Hi, I'm just after some advice as I can't find any specific answer on the web,

I was banned from driving in march 2016 for dangerous driving, I wasn't under the influence of anything I just had a text from my daughter that my son in law had just beaten up my daughter so lost the plot jumped into my beloved Bmw 5 series msport and lost the plot, I flew over to the flat to sort my son in law out and took a corner about 50 mph and who should be sitting there resting in his car at 3am but a traffic police man in his Bmw 5 series, I hit him head on and wrote both cars off and hence the ban for a year, I informed the police why I was driving fast and unbeknown to me my daughter had called the police on her husband and he was arrested.
    He's a 6ft 6in steroid freak so he's huge and the fact I'm nearly 50 and not intimidated by him he won't front me but vowed revenge!
    My ban finished on march 15 2017, when I replied for my licence the dvla told me someone had wrote into them saying I was unfit to drive as I'm a cocaine addict and inject daily (no guesses who this was) and I wad told by the dvla I need to do a medical for drug misuse to prove I'm fit to drive, I had my medical today and I know I'll pass the drugs test as I don't take any drugs, the thing I'm worried about is I'm prescribed 30mg of Valium daily for depression because my seven year old son died.
    Does anyone know if this will prevent me getting my licence back and also how long until I can find out?
    My ban should be up now and I'm self employed and I lost half my work because I just couldn't get there and if I don't get my licence asap I'll prob be claiming benefits soon.
    Any help from someone that knows would be most helpful
    Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 3:58 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:58 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:58 PM
    As long as your drug reading is under 550µg/L you should be ok.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 20th Apr 17, 4:05 PM
    • 5,051 Posts
    • 10,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:05 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:05 PM
    Did you tell the people who did the test you took prescribed Valium?

This is easily proved by a letter from your Doctor if necessary so I wouldn't worry.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    Presumably you also have to do an extended retest before you get your licence back?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 4:24 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:24 PM
    Presumably you also have to do an extended retest before you get your licence back?
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Yes, he'll be disqualified until test passed.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    • 15,276 Posts
    • 13,611 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    Does anyone know if this will prevent me getting my licence back and also how long until I can find out?
    Originally posted by Johnmk1
    Prescribed pharmaceuticals will not be an issue - so long as your GP hasn't advised you not to drive while taking them.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    Prescribed pharmaceuticals will not be an issue - so long as your GP hasn't advised you not to drive while taking them.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Diazepam is covered by drug driving so it maybe an issue.
    • Johnmk1
    • By Johnmk1 20th Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Johnmk1
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    Yes I told the dvla the whole truth about my prescription of diazepam and the doctor confirmed, but to be honest I haven't taken the whole 30mg per day for months I just didn't stop them because they are like gold dust to get from your doctor, so hopefully I'll pass that test, as for drink and drugs I don't take any because I'm a fitness freak and run marathons etc so doing gear or drinking would ruin that.
    And yep I have to take an extended test including theory and hazard perception before I get it back, shame I never had a driving conviction in 25 years but I suppose if I hit a traffic police car while speeding that's my own fault, fingers crossed I'll get my provisional back soon,and I take full responsibility. I'll make an update as soon as the dvla let me know.
    Thanks again everyone.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:45 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:45 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:45 PM
    Yes I told the dvla the whole truth about my prescription of diazepam and the doctor confirmed, but to be honest I haven't taken the whole 30mg per day for months I just didn't stop them because they are like gold dust to get from your doctor, so hopefully I'll pass that test, as for drink and drugs I don't take any because I'm a fitness freak and run marathons etc so doing gear or drinking would ruin that.
    And yep I have to take an extended test including theory and hazard perception before I get it back, shame I never had a driving conviction in 25 years but I suppose if I hit a traffic police car while speeding that's my own fault, fingers crossed I'll get my provisional back soon,and I take full responsibility. I'll make an update as soon as the dvla let me know.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Well it wasn't his.

You do realise you're still disqualified until you pass your test?
    • Johnmk1
    • By Johnmk1 20th Apr 17, 8:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Johnmk1
    Yep and I'm self employed so I've lost half my work, my marriage only just survived the year, and I got my wife a new BMW but as much as I want to I don't drive it because I know I'm technically still banned, I just pray I can get my provisional and get the ball rolling asap.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 8:56 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Yep and I'm self employed so I've lost half my work, my marriage only just survived the year, and I got my wife a new BMW but as much as I want to I don't drive it because I know I'm technically still banned, I just pray I can get my provisional and get the ball rolling asap.
    There's no technically about it you're still disqualified and will be until you obtain a full licence.
    • Johnmk1
    • By Johnmk1 20th Apr 17, 8:57 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Johnmk1
    And I also wrote to the chief of police to apologise and have met the police officer I hit and said sorry and shook his hand but if your honest, most fathers with a daughter that's just been strangled unconscious would act the same!
    Crazy thing is she's still with him and don't talk to me anymore because I was going to get him!!!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 20th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    And I also wrote to the chief of police to apologise and have met the police officer I hit and said sorry and shook his hand but if your honest, most fathers with a daughter that's just been strangled unconscious would act the same!
    Crazy thing is she's still with him and don't talk to me anymore because I was going to get him!!!
    Most would avoid crashing.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 20th Apr 17, 9:02 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 5,145 Thanks
    Loanranger
    I think you should think about stopping the Valium altogether as it is a muscle relaxant drug which induces tiredness and sleep. I know from experience that on 25mg of Valium I could not drive.
    It is highly addictive so talk to your doctor about coming off it altogether. Or give up any idea of driving again.
    Being convicted of dangerous driving is a very strong message that you should heed and no matter what the circumstances you could have easily killed someone.
    • Johnmk1
    • By Johnmk1 20th Apr 17, 9:07 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Johnmk1
    Tell me about it, it's one of the worst things in my life but my 7 year old died by his neck so I just lost it.
    If I could reverse time I should have just called the police but in hindsight we'd all change a lot of things.
    I never had a criminal record before this either I'm so gutted and embarrassed for what happened but all I can do is make sure it don't happen again,
    Which I can tell you now I won't lol not lose my licence ever again!
    • Johnmk1
    • By Johnmk1 20th Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Johnmk1
    I've also stopped the Valium now but I've read they are in your system for 50 days and I've only stopped taking them for 1 month.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 20th Apr 17, 11:00 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Car 54
    Well it wasn't his.

You do realise you're still disqualified until you pass your test?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    No, he isn't. He will be able to obtain a provisional licence, which he needs for his test. He couldn't do that if he was disqualified.
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 20th Apr 17, 11:27 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    stuart30
    Get some practice in with an instructor mate...driving and driving to pass a test as you know are two very different things.

But fair play for the honesty..and lets be blunt you lost ya license in style so to speak.

Just remember these steroid freaks the old john thomas shrinks up like a prune,so no wonder he has a temper..lol

Hope you get sorted chap and sounds like lesson learnt...fair play.
    • macman
    • By macman 21st Apr 17, 2:24 AM
    • 41,320 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    macman
    I don't want to depress the OP further, but what are the implications of a dangerous driving conviction and loss of licence for getting motor insurance?
    OP, I'd echo the suggestions above to get off diazepam: it's highly addictive, which is why it should only be prescribed for a few days at a time. Your GP can prescribe you alternatives for depression/anxiety which are not addictive, and safer to drive with.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • loskie
    • By loskie 21st Apr 17, 6:25 AM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    loskie
    but he is still being prescribed them because "they are like gold dust"! OP are you flogging them?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,304Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin