Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 20th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    • 2,561Posts
    • 3,954Thanks
    another casualty
    Do i have to be a hypocrite ..sky in my new flat
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    Do i have to be a hypocrite ..sky in my new flat 20th Apr 17 at 2:50 PM
    Howdy ! I detest murdoch and what he stands for. My choice , my opinion. Sorry to be so blunt
    In my last proprty, i used bt infinity. Got a fairly good deal,at the time but the broadband was poor to say the least .
    The place im renting at the moment is vodafone for broadband, and freeview.
    However, outside my new flat is a sky dish . Ugh! If sky believe in better, they should at least smarten the things up.
    And so inside my flat, the cables are all set up and im good to go.

So, it looks like i may have to eat humble pie . Unless i stick with freeview. Im just wondering : is sky really expensive ? Can i get a 12 month contract ? What about the mobile phone deal they do?

Tbh , i used to follow footie but am bored of it. I do think leicesters achievement wont be bettered , somi wont bother with sky sports.
    Cant do b t , because i cant get on with michael owen or his hair transplant. He is boring also.
    I like scandinavian drama , and some decent rock music.
    Mtv used to be music television. Scuzz was good .
    Anyhow im rambling.

Any thoughts about avoiding pitfalls when signing up, and any pointers to good offers appreciated.
    My vodafone contract expires in may. Same as the month i move into my new flat.
    Thanks
    Last edited by another casualty; 20-04-2017 at 3:17 PM.
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Apr 17, 5:49 PM
    • 7,757 Posts
    • 4,590 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:49 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:49 PM
    Actually, unless the last occupier signed up for Sky tv Q recently, the cables are unlikely to be of use, as Sky no longer provide the Sky+ HD boxes and the new Q setup requires different wiring.

However, a new dish, if necessary, and new cables are included in the set up fee. Unlike with the old system, you no longer own the tv box and have to return it, if you end your subscription.

At the moment tv and line/broadband deals are separate contracts, though a survey I did a few months ago, suggests that things may change.

Also,if you are a tv only customer , offers for line and broadband are not as good as for new to Sky customers, though I suspect that this is open to some haggling.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 20th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    Thanks teedysmum
    I forgot to mention, there is no box in the property.Just tidy wiring and a sky wall socket. I could stick to the freeview i have on my tv.
    ( restricted) Could carry on with vodafone broadband.
    There's always virgin....
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 20th Apr 17, 7:24 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:24 PM
    Thanks teedysmum
    I forgot to mention, there is no box in the property.Just tidy wiring and a sky wall socket. I could stick to the freeview i have on my tv.
    ( restricted) Could carry on with vodafone broadband.
    There's always virgin....
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Or a Humax recordable Sat box, just plug it in to the wall socket.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 20th Apr 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:38 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:38 PM
    Thanks colin Does that have more channels than the ordinary freeview ?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 21st Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    Thanks colin Does that have more channels than the ordinary freeview ?
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Apparently, although whether they're channels you want to watch is another matter. I've never used either mind (no, not even Freeview due to the old very poor analog signal).

https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freeview/channels

http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels
    • almillar
    • By almillar 21st Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    • 6,878 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    almillar
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    The big channel missing is Dave, but there are many more channels available. Plenty of FreeSat boxes around, Humax are good. Choose a recorder, or one that adds on demand features if that's what you're after. Will cost about 1 year's worth of Sky subscription, and plugs straight into the 2 satellite cables, power, and HDMI.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 21st Apr 17, 1:36 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:36 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:36 PM
    What extra channels do you want?
    I have Sky+ TV, line rental and decent unlimited BB from Sky for under £25 which suits us as we have poor terrestrial TV signal.
    So you could get a secondhand Sky+ box and go for this but there is just the basic TV channels and no calls included.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 21st Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    What extra channels do you want?
    I have Sky+ TV, line rental and decent unlimited BB from Sky for under £25 which suits us as we have poor terrestrial TV signal.
    So you could get a secondhand Sky+ box and go for this but there is just the basic TV channels and no calls included.
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    Great question
    Under £25 for broadband and TV? That does sound good .
    Worth getting a secondhand sky + box for .
    I'm not a huge TV fan tbh . I joined Vodafone broadband a few moths ago £22.00 p m . I have a Vodafone iPhone .
    So theoretically, I could get broadband and a few extra tv channels for £3 more. There would be no installation fee either .

Thanks for that
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 21st Apr 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    another casualty
    The big channel missing is Dave, but there are many more channels available. Plenty of FreeSat boxes around, Humax are good. Choose a recorder, or one that adds on demand features if that's what you're after. Will cost about 1 year's worth of Sky subscription, and plugs straight into the 2 satellite cables, power, and HDMI.
    Originally posted by almillar
    That's a thought also

Thanks
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 21st Apr 17, 2:41 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    another casualty
    Apparently, although whether they're channels you want to watch is another matter. I've never used either mind (no, not even Freeview due to the old very poor analog signal).

https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freeview/channels

http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thanks again Colin
    Will look at those links shortly
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 21st Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    • 7,757 Posts
    • 4,590 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Sky+ is about £10 a month, so expensive compared to buying your own recorder, unless, as you are in a poor Freeview area. (The price quoted above is about right for £10 Sky+, line and free ADSL broadband)

We have Freeview, rather than Freesat recorders (Humax brand) as my husband would miss Dave, but if the Sky dish at your new home looks tatty, it may be old and no longer work,making a Freesat box useless.

If your tv is Smart, so you don't need a catchup /recorder combination, you can get twin tuner recorders very cheaply on such as Ebay, as people have upgraded or taken pay tv.

Humax also have very cheap basic recorders and even very new refurbished ones which record 4 programmes at once, all at very good prices and with a warranty, on their website.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 21-04-2017 at 6:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,774Posts Today

7,861Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's existential Twitter poll: Choose betwn huge success & renown within ur lifetime then forgotten, or only after death but for millenia

• RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Follow Martin