Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • H_C
    • By H_C 20th Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    H_C
    Sky price increases
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    Sky price increases 20th Apr 17 at 2:31 PM
    Our home broadband was originally with O2 until Sky bought them out. We were paying £5.50 to O2 and that stayed the same when it was transferred to Sky.

However at some point last year the price was increased to £15.50 , we were never notified of this price increase and i couldnt check it since it was not being paid from my account. Since then the price increased to £17.50 which we were notified of. I only found out about the price after calling Sky telling them we were gonna change services.

Can i claim any of the money back from the period the price had increased to £15.50 since they done so without notifying us? Is it a simple process, if i prove we were never notified?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 20th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    How exactly do you prove that you were never contacted though?

If you had a different email account back then (O2?) then they would have sent notice to that one.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Apr 17, 3:21 PM
    • 19,301 Posts
    • 9,407 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:21 PM
    Can i claim any of the money back from the period the price had increased to £15.50 since they done so without notifying us?
    Originally posted by H_C
    Why didn't you complain about this price increase as soon as it was debited from your bank account?
    Sounds like you simply don't check your statements or your post...

You won't be getting any money refunded, I'm afraid, the provider will have a record of having informed you of this increase. As long as it was correctly addressed, it is deemed delivered two days later.
    • H_C
    • By H_C 20th Apr 17, 3:21 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H_C
    There is only one email on the account, i checked and we had been notified of the price increase from £15.50 to £17.50 but never the £7.50 to £15.

(I just checked and those are the correct prices above , will check to see if i can change oc.
    • H_C
    • By H_C 20th Apr 17, 3:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H_C
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:29 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:29 PM
    Why didn't you complain about this price increase as soon as it was debited from your bank account?
    Sounds like you simply don't check your statements or your post...

You won't be getting any money refunded, I'm afraid, the provider will have a record of having informed you of this increase. As long as it was correctly addressed, it is deemed delivered two days later.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I couldnt have checked it, as its under my parents account and email. I only found out after calling up to try and change services. We never received any letter or email with regards to the first price increase. I have contacted them and they said they will get a manger to look into and they would send us emails , but we have received nothing from them and its been a fair few weeks. Its almost as if they are trying to ignore it.

Yes if i had known of the price change i would have called straight away but since they changed it without telling us how would i have known. Its £17.50 for just broadband (~15mbs) thats the same price for broadband and telephone line elsewhere.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 20th Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 2,611 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    I couldnt have checked it, as its under my parents account and email. I only found out after calling up to try and change services. We never received any letter or email with regards to the first price increase. I have contacted them and they said they will get a manger to look into and they would send us emails , but we have received nothing from them and its been a fair few weeks. Its almost as if they are trying to ignore it.

Yes if i had known of the price change i would have called straight away but since they changed it without telling us how would i have known. Its £17.50 for just broadband (~15mbs) thats the same price for broadband and telephone line elsewhere.
    Originally posted by H_C
    Your parents didn't notice the price increase? Is this your parents account?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Apr 17, 3:34 PM
    • 19,301 Posts
    • 9,407 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:34 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:34 PM
    I couldnt have checked it, as its under my parents account and email.
    Originally posted by H_C
    Your parents don't check outgoings either?

You won't be getting any refund based on what you have said.
    • H_C
    • By H_C 20th Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H_C
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    Your parents didn't notice the price increase? Is this your parents account?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    The broadband is under my parents account and so is the bank account in which it is paid for...
    Your parents don't check outgoings either?

You won't be getting any refund based on what you have said.
    Of course they check, but based on what you're saying they are simply allowed to rapidly increase prices without notifying first and it's all fine....

"Based on what you have said" what am I meant to have said to be able to claim the refund...
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Apr 17, 3:44 PM
    • 19,301 Posts
    • 9,407 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:44 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:44 PM
    "Based on what you have said" what am I meant to have said to be able to claim the refund...
    Originally posted by H_C
    You don't get a refund of a price increase simply because you claim you weren't informed.

You wouldn't get a refund if you had the letter or E-Mail either.

All your thread reveals is the importance of checking statements every month.
    • makemesumdosh
    • By makemesumdosh 20th Apr 17, 3:57 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    makemesumdosh
    Why are you paying anything for broadband, had o2 then sky broadband and always paid Sky £0.00 since day 1.only pay for line rental and anytime calls.
    Call then threaten to leave, ask to be put through to cancelations. do your homework and tell then of what you can get elsewhere.
    Don't forget if you do change supplier go through Topcashback or Quidco
    • H_C
    • By H_C 20th Apr 17, 3:58 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H_C
    You don't get a refund of a price increase simply because you claim you weren't informed.

You wouldn't get a refund if you had the letter or E-Mail either.

All your thread reveals is the importance of checking statements every month.
    Just contacted them and the initial price increase was because we didn't have Sky TV and Sky phone.... they charged us because we didn't have something...
    • H_C
    • By H_C 20th Apr 17, 4:01 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H_C
    Why are you paying anything for broadband, had o2 then sky broadband and always paid Sky £0.00 since day 1.only pay for line rental and anytime calls.
    Call then threaten to leave, ask to be put through to cancelations. do your homework and tell then of what you can get elsewhere.
    Don't forget if you do change supplier go through Topcashback or Quidco
    Originally posted by makemesumdosh
    That's what I'm currently doing, Bt have a good offer. As I mentioned above , the initial price increased was because we weren't paying for Sky TVs and Sky landline...
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    • 8,229 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Just contacted them and the initial price increase was because we didn't have Sky TV and Sky phone.... they charged us because we didn't have something...
    Originally posted by H_C

Things have changed since the new compulsory 'benefit' of combined line and broadband cost, but Sky used to charge £15 for broadband, then deduct £5 if you had their line and £2.50 more if you had their tv, making the price £7.50, but that was often then reduced to very little or zero, by the retentions team.

As the full price for broadband was £15, your from O2 price was a special offer, which would be for 12 months. They do not have to tell you when a special price ends, but they do have to tell you when the base price is increased; hence you only had one notification.

At the moment I had a 75% off tv deal and come the end of the year they will not have to inform me that the cost will revert to full price, but when they do the annual summer price increase, they will have to tell me about that.

Broadband has , for years, ridden on the back of line rental costs, so as you are not a line customer, they have no incentive to offer you cheap standalone. In fact new customers can't get it.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 21st Apr 17, 9:35 AM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just a comment on the "non notification" of price increase issue - my daughter was with O2 and was moved to Sky - they continued to send info. to an original O2 email addy which she didn't ever use NOT her supplied hotmail address -only found out when I logged in to the O2 account to look for a totally separate email. Fortunately she had already realised that Sky had upped her sub. altho' don't think it went up by as much as £10 !!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 21st Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 8,229 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Just a comment on the "non notification" of price increase issue - my daughter was with O2 and was moved to Sky - they continued to send info. to an original O2 email addy which she didn't ever use NOT her supplied hotmail address -only found out when I logged in to the O2 account to look for a totally separate email. Fortunately she had already realised that Sky had upped her sub. altho' don't think it went up by as much as £10 !!
    Originally posted by brewerdave

The OP's price hasn't gone up; they have just ended the special price. All offers now work on a basis of £10 for the broadband and £18.99 for line, as £5 would have come off because line (now compulsory) was taken.

As they no longer knock off £2.50 for having tv, the £7.50 , which was discounted to £5 for standalone broadband customers, no longer exists.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,769Posts Today

7,398Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin