Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joel7465
    • By joel7465 20th Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    joel7465
    next directory
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    next directory 20th Apr 17 at 1:08 PM
    after having a read through this article it got me thinking, and I was just wondering if anybody could shine some light on this for me.

/news/shopping/2014/05/shopping-online-at-next-it-could-hurt-your-credit-rating
    (sorry cant post links yet, its a mse link though)

As it stands I have a good credit rating but it was better. October last year I went onto the next website to purchase some clothes. I was greeted with a pop up on account creation that if I used the next credit I would of receive 10 pounds off my first order.

All was good and I got the discount and on completion, I paid off the credit straight away.
    For this Next did a hard search on my credit and pushed my score (clearscore) from 500 to 488 then the following month whilst I was working abroad they automatically upped my Next credit which then also dropped my score again too 474.

Whilst reading through the above article I feel as if I should have only had a soft search and that it was very unfair to do a hard search for a pair of jeans!

Any advice would be welcomed?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 20th Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 12,032 Posts
    • 12,173 Thanks
    zx81
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    It's just a search.

And the score means nothing. Tell people you have 999 if it makes you feel better.

No one will ever know and we won't tell.
    Last edited by zx81; 20-04-2017 at 1:21 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Apr 17, 2:18 PM
    • 29,360 Posts
    • 18,565 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:18 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:18 PM
    I wouldnt worry about it, the other 2 agencies will rate you differently anyway and maybe they rate you higher.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • mrmagooooooo
    • By mrmagooooooo 20th Apr 17, 2:48 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    mrmagooooooo
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:48 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:48 PM
    They did a hard search on you because you applied for credit. Nothing unfair there?

Your fake score will usually always go down when you open an a new account whether that be a credit card or loan or this case a store card/account. It will go back up in a few months probably but as others have said it makes no difference. The score means nothing and as long as you are paying all your accounts on time everytime there is nothing to worry about.
    • treliac
    • By treliac 20th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 13,944 Thanks
    treliac
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    Next behave unethically. I bought an item from them, paying in full online when ordering and picking up from store later. They did a credit search, which was quite unnecessary and irrelevant.

I later discovered they did another search in respect of a Next Directory that I had not requested or taken delivery of.

I am amazed that they are allowed to behave like this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,737Users online

Martin's Twitter