Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 20th Apr 17, 12:54 PM
    • 157Posts
    • 48Thanks
    Carmk2008
    monthly shopping bill
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:54 PM
    monthly shopping bill 20th Apr 17 at 12:54 PM
    What's everyone's monthly shopping bill ours is £400 at the moment for a family of 4. I want to reduce this to £300 by bulk buying and freezing meals, is anyone else getting by on that amount?
Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 20th Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,762 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    Well, if by 'shopping' you mean groceries, then IMHO, £300 for a family of 4 is achievable, even £250.
    That said, where will you get a discount on bulk purchases? I think shopping around, taking advantage of deals and various cashbacks are the best ways.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 20th Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    I've just gone through the figures for our family of 3 which comes to just under £300 for last month. We don't go in for many luxuries although we try to stick to healthy wholemeal options if possible. I shop mainly in Aldi but also go to Waitrose for certain branded items or more healthy alternatives.
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 20th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    • 2,811 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    Currently on about £180-190 a month for family of three.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Pink_Giraffe
    • By Pink_Giraffe 20th Apr 17, 1:23 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    Pink_Giraffe
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:23 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:23 PM
    Ours is £200 for two of us. If you want tips on how to cut back, I've found a lot of useful info on the Old-Style MoneySaving forum. There is a lot about making food last, using leftovers/reducing waste and batch cooking etc so might be worth a look.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 20th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    We buy our meat from muscle food which is good quality and price, was also thinking buying big bags of rice, pasta and potatoes. My biggest problem I think will getting my two wee ones from the usual chicken nuggets, although they should homemade ones. @whatmichaelsays what kind of food are you making on that budget that would do me nicely if I could get to that.
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 20th Apr 17, 2:36 PM
    • 2,811 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:36 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:36 PM
    @whatmichaelsays what kind of food are you making on that budget that would do me nicely if I could get to that.
    Originally posted by Carmk2008
    There's a lot of lean meat meals in there - we certainly don't eat like paupers. We're careful about food waste - we plan our meals for the week.

We don't buy supermarket meat as it's stupidly expensive and full of water, and we avoid things like pre-washed, pre-prepared and packaged veg - unprepared loose veg for stuff we'll use, frozen for stuff that we know we'll take longer to eat. There's very little convenience or packaged food either.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 20th Apr 17, 11:34 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:34 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:34 PM
    We always bulk buy when on offer. We do a big food shop online once a month at the beginning and only visit other shops throughout for things which need replenishing, i.e. milk/bread/fruit. We try not to go into any supermarkets as it's those little 'nips' which somehow end up costing more than they should.
    We both use sweeter in tea and canderel is quite pricey but it was on offer for £1 per jar couple of months back so we bought half a dozen of them. It's not been on offer since, so we know that saves money. Same on other things which you know you need (bin bags) and will eventually run out.
    It's actually the cat food/litter which seems to take it out of our budget!
    End Sep 2016 End Oct 2017
    £8236.57 £0
    (Tesco 4.8%) £0pcm
    £6185.75 £0(Zopa 4.0%) £0pcm

£5344.50
    £2610.04 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) £140pcm
    £2000.00 £1066.69 (Sister 0%) £133.33pcm

Total debt
    £19.766.82 £3676.73 Original DFD May 2019.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 21st Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    • 18,783 Posts
    • 19,081 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    What's everyone's monthly shopping bill ours is £400 at the moment for a family of 4. I want to reduce this to £300 by bulk buying and freezing meals, is anyone else getting by on that amount?
    Originally posted by Carmk2008
    If you're serious, get yourself over to the Old Style board, where they will chuckle and help you get it down to £200

(grumbler! Long time no see! How are you?)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 21st Apr 17, 9:42 AM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,762 Thanks
    grumbler
    (grumbler! Long time no see! How are you?)
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    Hi. I'm fine, just do MB only occasionally now.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Apr 17, 10:00 AM
    • 7,152 Posts
    • 8,806 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Aldi / Lidl. Focus on special offers. Utilising incentives for online shops at mainstream supermarkets (e.g. £25 off £75 at Waitrose) for big ticket items such as half price washing powder etc.

I'd say £60 per person per month is doable.

Use of Mysupermarket to compare prices too.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 21st Apr 17, 2:42 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Totally serious will drop into old school money saving to. See if I can get down to £200 pm
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 21st Apr 17, 4:15 PM
    • 8,504 Posts
    • 5,033 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I really struggle to spend £200 per calendar month for the two of us (to use up the 5% on £100 contactless card purchases for two TSB accounts ), so often spend much less. Part of this spend is also made up by deliberately buying in things like tinned dog food, which have a long use by date, that aren't needed now but will be required in the future.

A lot of the things which aren't good for you, such as cakes, sweets, biscuits, crisps and pop total up quite quickly and as said, Aldi and Lidl products are much cheaper. (The latter's scotch eggs ,pasties and pies are actually nicer than big brand ones, but I'm not happy about Aldi's beef joints, which are cheap, but tend to be made up of rolled meat, with gristle, that unravels when being cooked.)

It's also cheaper to pre-plan what you need and not to take children along, as they tend to pick things you wouldn't normally choose, which are also more expensive.
    • fierystormcloud
    • By fierystormcloud 21st Apr 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 4,269 Thanks
    fierystormcloud
    We spend about £300 a month on two adults. Probably sounds a lot (to some) but this includes ALL food, packed lunches, takeaways, detergents, toiletries, toothpaste, polish, and so on, and a monthly trip to costa, the pub, and maccies. And we don't buy booze to drink in our house, we don't smoke, and I walk or cycle to work and rarely use our (jointly owned) car.

In addition, we spend around £80.00 a month on petrol, and some folk I know spend £150-200 a month on petrol. In addition, we don't have sky; just a freeview box, and we both have £10 PAYG mobiles, and use approx £10 a month credit each. Some people I know spend £50-£75 on sky, and £30-40 a month on their phone plan.

So I don't apologise for spending £300 a month on groceries; we like nice food. And that does include everything we consume and use in the house (like toothpaste, washing powder, washing up liquid, shampoo, shower gel, as well as food and beverages iyswim.)

So OP, if £400 for a family of 4 includes all food, booze, detergents, toiletries, maccies, coffee shops visits, packed lunches/school meals/school dinners etc, then that's not too bad.

Don't know how to suggest you reduce it, apart from changing to a cheaper shop.
    cooeeeeeeeee
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

772Posts Today

6,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin