Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alundra
    • By Alundra 20th Apr 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Alundra
    Arrow Global/Restons Solicitors
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:02 PM
    Arrow Global/Restons Solicitors 20th Apr 17 at 12:02 PM
    Morning everyone.....I'm after some advice if anyone can help. I received a letter from Arrow Global with notification of account transfer to a new agency.
    Original Agreement Shop Direct-Mail Order
    Date of Original Account 26 September 2002
    Account Number ***********
    Date of Transfer to Arrow Global 13 May 2011
    Outstanding Amount owed to Arrow Global £380.70

Now I'm sure this debt was paid off several years ago to another company, as I've had no correspondence with anyone over this. Until out of the blue this letter saying it's been transferred to Restons Solicitors. I have had no correspondence from these guys at all, Yet now i have received a letter from Portsmouth County Court Business Centre with a "Notice of Issue of Warrant of Control".

Creditor Arrow Global Guernsey Limited
    Debtor me

Urgent
    To the debtor
    You have not made payments under the judgement as you were ordered. The creditor has therefore asked for a warrent to be issued to the baliff to seize and sell your goods. Unless you pay the amount due to the county court before 25 April 2017 the baliff will call and may remove your goods for sale at public auction. This may mean you will have to pay further costs....
    Total to pay £459.95

So Arrow say they have transferred it to Restons, yet paperwork from the court says it's Arrow, no mention of Restons. And no contact from anyone until now.. And an increase of £79.25 from somewhere....

Any help or advice would be much appreciated....
Page 1
    • BrightLights14
    • By BrightLights14 20th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    BrightLights14
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    Sounds like an unpaid CCJ being chased just in the nick of time before it becomes statute barred. Have you checked your credit file on one of the free services like Noddle? See if it's showing up there. The £79.25 will be fees that have been added on from the creditor having to take it to court.
    LBM August 2013 - debt: £27,181
    April 2017 - debt: £11,880
    DFD - September 2018
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 20th Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    • 10,221 Posts
    • 9,975 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    Arrow are the owners of the debt, Restons are there tame solicitors.

They are one and the same company.

Looks as though you have had a judgement in default issued against you, were you not aware of the impending court action ?

There are things you can do, but you must act smartish, info here :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/action-your-creditor-can-take/bailiffs/stopping-bailiff-action/stopping-bailiff-action-your-options/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:21 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:21 PM
    Hi

It’s possible the court claim paperwork may have been issued to a previous address if you’ve moved. It’s worth checking your credit file for any CCJs made within the last 6 years, as Brightlights14 suggests. If you dispute that you owe the debt now you have the option to make a set aside application and defend the claim. I recommend seeking legal advice before doing so to maximise your chances of success.

In the meantime don’t allow a bailiff inside your home and keep any vehicles you own well out of the way. If it turns out that you do owe the money you can apply to the court to set an affordable instalment order and suspend the bailiff warrant using court form N245 and a fee of £50.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 20th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    • 10,559 Posts
    • 7,895 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    Let us know what you discover.

It's almost certainly worth a set-aside application and a defence.

If there is a six-year period with no acknowledgement of the debt (by payment or in writing) at any point before the court claim commenced then the Limitation Act gives a complete defence.

Additionally catalogue companies were notorious in 2002 for not bothering to get a credit agreement signed. That also provides a complete defence under s127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act.

A bit of work needed but better than paying the scum £500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,232Users online

Martin's Twitter