Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink_Giraffe
    • By Pink_Giraffe 20th Apr 17, 11:50 AM
    • 183Posts
    • 1,392Thanks
    Pink_Giraffe
    Second Bank Account or Prepay Credit Card?
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:50 AM
    Second Bank Account or Prepay Credit Card? 20th Apr 17 at 11:50 AM
    I keep trying to budget and I'm having to be more strict with myself because I tend to overspend when I get paid. I have a couple of debts which I have repayment agreements on so my credit rating isn't great. What I want to do is have my main bank account for my salary to go into and all my essentials/regular bills to come out of and then something else for my "pocket money".

My question is, as my credit rating is poor, would it be better to set up a second basic bank account, and if so, what banks would people recommend? I don't want an overdraft but I will need a debit card and online/app banking. Or, would it be better to have a prepay credit card, which I've heard can boost your credit rating but I'm sure will carry a charge? Does anyone have experience with these and are there any in particular I should try/avoid?

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 20th Apr 17, 11:59 AM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,757 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:59 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:59 AM
    Generally, prepaid cards don't boost the rating. There can be a few that do, but they will charge you a lot and hardly worth wasting money on them.

IMO, a basic account is a better option if it comes with a debit card and doesn't allow you getting overdrawn.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • Pink_Giraffe
    • By Pink_Giraffe 20th Apr 17, 12:49 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    Pink_Giraffe
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:49 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:49 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Is there any benefit to having my second account with the same bank as my main one, or should I shop around? Is there an up-to-date thread anyone can direct me to with suggestions, I can only find one from 2006?!
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 20th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,757 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    It's easier to manage accounts if they are with the same bank, but generally it's recommended to have accessible money in at least two banks.
    For basic accounts see Basic Bank Accounts - Top accounts for poor credit scores
    For full accounts - Best Bank Accounts
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • Pink_Giraffe
    • By Pink_Giraffe 20th Apr 17, 1:04 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    Pink_Giraffe
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:04 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:04 PM
    Thank you, much appreciated! Also, I'm a big fan of your signature.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    Regarding prepaid cards, the only one that supposedly can improve your credit rating is Cashplus, but it will cost you quite dearly and the effectiveness is doubtful.

Monzo would cost you nothing, although you need to load an initial £100 to get your card. Transactions appear instantly on the app and are itemized as groceries, transport, etc, so it may assist your spending control. To jump the queue, sign up via the link in the MSE article:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards?&_ga=1.84728985.1890557612.1491209387#monzo

Loot is similar, and has a 'goals' function:

https://loot.io
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,157Posts Today

8,210Users online

Martin's Twitter