Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stclair
    • By stclair 20th Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    • 6,378Posts
    • 3,395Thanks
    stclair
    Credit Card With Fingerprint Sensor
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    Credit Card With Fingerprint Sensor 20th Apr 17 at 11:30 AM
    As the title suggests:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39643453
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
Page 1
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 20th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    How reliable to people find the fingerprint readers on their phone? I'm lucky if it works first time half the time.

Interesting concept though!
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 21st Apr 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:09 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:09 PM
    As long as it doesnt mean people being amputated for there cards sounds good
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 21st Apr 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:13 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:13 PM
    How reliable to people find the fingerprint readers on their phone? I'm lucky if it works first time half the time.

Interesting concept though!
    Originally posted by sausage_time

Depends on how my phone is feeling.

Some days it's bang on, other days the thing just refuses to work.

Looking for the tech to improve before trusting this. Pressing my phone a few times before it tells me that "Fingerprint scanner not working" is bad enough, having that happen at a shop would be maddening.
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 21st Apr 17, 11:31 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    pmartin86
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:31 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:31 PM
    I've not looked into it in any great detail (as in nothing other than the linked article :P)

But it would probably be safe to assume that failure of the reader would revert to chip and pin...as other powsters ahve mentioned fingerprint recognition tech is rather fussy and unreliable at best on a £500+ smartphone with a decent processor etc, on a bank card, its got to be terrible?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 22nd Apr 17, 12:55 AM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 22nd Apr 17, 12:55 AM
    • 22nd Apr 17, 12:55 AM
    I doubt we'll see this here. It will probably die somewhere along the way.

Back in 2012 Mastercard was showing off a card with a built in display and keyboard:

The card will be available from January before being rolled out globally.
    Last year there was the card with a CCV that would 'randomly' change:

A credit card with a digital display that randomly generates a security code is being launched as a way of combating fraud.

Oberthur Technologies is currently in discussions with UK banks about rolling out the technology and will have cards "in the hands" of consumers in France by the end of the year.
    Now a finger print scanner.

I guess it all comes down whether the cost of offering cards with advanced features is more or less than the cost of the fraud they would prevent.

And, of course, would people want to use such a card? Those usually most accepting of these (new) technologies usually carry a small computer around in their pocket or bag which is capable of doing these things already: a mobile phone.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 22nd Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 6,406 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 22nd Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 22nd Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    I guess it all comes down whether the cost of offering cards with advanced features is more or less than the cost of the fraud they would prevent.

And, of course, would people want to use such a card? Those usually most accepting of these (new) technologies usually carry a small computer around in their pocket or bag which is capable of doing these things already: a mobile phone.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Yes, some time in the future I can imagine old folk explaining "they are called credit cards because once upon a time you had to carry a little plastic card". Only the name will remain. Rather like the floppy disc icon meaning "save", or "CC" meaning carbon copy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,922Posts Today

7,663Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin