Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benchall
    • By benchall 20th Apr 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    benchall
    Purchase or balance transfer card?
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:08 AM
    Purchase or balance transfer card? 20th Apr 17 at 11:08 AM
    I'm looking to get a new credit card for a large purchase (£3000) but can't decide on the best option:

1. Make the purchase on a new 'Purchase' card - up to 30 months 0% interest.

2. Make the purchase on an old card I've not used in years (current balance £0), then transfer the balance to a new 'Balance Transfer' card - up to 40 months 0% interest.

The first option is simpler, but the second option gives me longer to pay the debt off...

Is there anything else I should consider?
Page 1
    • MisterP123
    • By MisterP123 20th Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MisterP123
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    The balance transfer option will probably be more expensive overall as no doubt there will be a balance transfer fee. Without knowing the fee I'd guess you're looking to repay an extra 100 pound, ish.

Although monthly repayments will still be less. Soooo, would you rather spend more for lower monthly repayments?

Unless of course, the balance transfer is fee free, then it depends on whether you're likely to use the card for other purchases in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin