Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 20th Apr 17, 10:50 AM
    • 7,673Posts
    • 25,803Thanks
    Primrose
    National Trust - a change in policy? No longer saving the planet ?
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:50 AM
    National Trust - a change in policy? No longer saving the planet ? 20th Apr 17 at 10:50 AM
    As a member I was perturbed to note that a favourite location has abandoned the use of real cups and plates at its cafe and has moved to disposable cutlery and throwaway plates. I wonder if forum members have seen this policy being adopted nationwide? It seems to fit poorly with a charity whose main policy is conservation.

Given the massive numbers of visitors to some locations surely this is an awful waste of natural resources as opposed to washing items up.?
Page 1
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 20th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    Which property? I'm not aware of a nationwide policy to do this. Maybe there was a simple explanation - eg dishwasher broken on the day you were there. Why don't you just ask them, I'm sure they'd be happy to explain.
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 5,329 Posts
    • 18,466 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    I've not seen this happening anywhere either - why not go onto their Facebook page and ask them?

It would be a shame if we all got outraged before knowing the facts.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    • 60,257 Posts
    • 352,043 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    Maybe it saves them £10/hour on the wages for somebody to do the washing up, empty/clean the dishwasher - and the cost of owning the dishwasher and buying the supplies for it ... and the water bill.

What'd you do, as a business, if you could spend £5/day on disposable stuff.... or £70/day employing somebody to "mostly stand around looking busy"?
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 20th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    • 3,158 Posts
    • 6,362 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    I regularly used to visit a NT property where they used 'recyclable disposables' for various reasons. I don't go there anymore, so don't know if that has changed, the one I go to occasionally now has proper crockery, and it's washed up by volunteers.
    I had always assumed that decisions were made individually by each property, with regard to environmental, and other considerations. I would either ask at the venue itself, or the NT nationally.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Apr 17, 3:31 PM
    • 15,370 Posts
    • 125,208 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:31 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:31 PM
    My DGS Jack washes dishes at the weekend in a local cafe and earn £4.00 an hour ,two weeks ago he went into work on the sunday and because it was sunny and everyone was out enjoying the sun he was told to go home .Bless him he wasn't happy as it cost him £5.00 retun on the bus which as a young lad he could ill afford out of his wages he would love £10.00 an hour and he washes by hand not in a machine either
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • maman
    • By maman 20th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 16,845 Posts
    • 100,603 Thanks
    maman
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    I've not been to a NT property for a few weeks. It's possible if it was over Easter that they were using disposables to keep up with increased visitor numbers and maybe volunteers not being so available over the holidays.

I do hope it's not a change in policy though. Aside from the conservation aspect, it's far more enjoyable and 'civilised' drinking from a proper cup.
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 20th Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    fewgroats
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    I've been to some properties that you have to use disposable cups as they only have a coffee machine. Can't name any specifically, maybe someone else can.
    Lent Challenge: 132/200 Failed
    Pancake Day+70 challenge (ends 8 June): 244/300 Better
    • norfolksaver
    • By norfolksaver 20th Apr 17, 4:27 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    norfolksaver
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:27 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:27 PM
    I went to Ixworth House in Suffolk last week and the only place using disposable plates and cups was the outdoor Cafe. We had lunch in the restaurant and no disposable items were used in there.

The disposable items we used for coffe and a cake were put in the large recycling bin they had.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 20th Apr 17, 6:18 PM
    • 3,158 Posts
    • 6,362 Thanks
    jackyann
    JackieO - I was just calculating how much that compared to my own 'Saturday job' 50 years ago. £1 for an 8 hour day - but there was never a question of being sent home - if we were slack then we did extra cleaning, stock-taking etc.
    Probably the biggest change is actually the bus fare: a 10 mile trip cost me 30 minutes wages. There was a very kind bus conductress who would recognise those of us who had school bus passes (only valid Mon-Fri) and would say 'oh I'm not taking money off you girls when you're working on a Saturday', so we used to hope she was on our route!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 60,257 Posts
    • 352,043 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... £10.00 an hour ...
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I was calculating the employer's cost, not what they pay the NMW person doing the work. There's also other costs, NI potential, holiday pay, maternity pay if people are there for awhile, potential for disabled adjustments, H&S assessments, ... etc etc. And the cost of recruitment and 'training' ("Here's a tap, this is how you turn it on...right, you're set then")
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Apr 17, 6:53 AM
    • 15,370 Posts
    • 125,208 Thanks
    JackieO
    I used to do a paper round in 1955 seven days a week took me about 50 minutes and I earned 2/6 which I thought was a fortune when I started work in 1958 I earned just over a fiver a week and out of that I gave £1.50 to my Mum £1.50 for fares and was left with just over £2.00 per week to buy all my own clothes,shoes etc which you had to save for back then or make yourself once you were working.

I can remember saving for months to go to the post christmas sales in Oxford Street and taking £12.00 with me and I bought my first coat a scarlet one with large black buttons for £5.00.Gosh I loved that coat, and felt the bees knees in it lasted me for several years as well.Good job I could knit though as I knitted lots of jumpers and cardi's and I would knit for my pal and she could sew and I would knit for her a jumper and she would sew a skirt for me We would recycle almost anything we could lay our hands on from a jumble sale
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 21st Apr 17, 8:39 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    I used to do a paper round in 1955 seven days a week took me about 50 minutes and I earned 2/6 which I thought was a fortune when I started work in 1958 I earned just over a fiver a week and out of that I gave £1.50 to my Mum £1.50 for fares and was left with just over £2.00 per week to buy all my own clothes,shoes etc which you had to save for back then or make yourself once you were working.

I can remember saving for months to go to the post christmas sales in Oxford Street and taking £12.00 with me and I bought my first coat a scarlet one with large black buttons for £5.00.Gosh I loved that coat, and felt the bees knees in it lasted me for several years as well.Good job I could knit though as I knitted lots of jumpers and cardi's and I would knit for my pal and she could sew and I would knit for her a jumper and she would sew a skirt for me We would recycle almost anything we could lay our hands on from a jumble sale
    Been there, done that (and didn;t buy the t-shirt)
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 21st Apr 17, 9:04 AM
    • 4,822 Posts
    • 11,001 Thanks
    Money maker
    Some of the cafes at/located near NT properties aren't run by the NT themselves. Perhaps this is one such caf!? The membership book normally has this information.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Apr 17, 11:25 PM
    • 15,370 Posts
    • 125,208 Thanks
    JackieO
    Going to Lyme Park tomorrow which is a NT so will have a shufti there
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Apr 17, 6:13 PM
    • 15,370 Posts
    • 125,208 Thanks
    JackieO
    Lyme Park definitely use cups and saucers as I had a pot of tea there this afternoon and very nice it was as a well
    JackieO
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 23rd Apr 17, 8:07 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 19,545 Thanks
    Slinky
    Lyme Park definitely use cups and saucers as I had a pot of tea there this afternoon and very nice it was as a well
    JackieO

Ahh, did you get Mr Darcy swimming in the lake?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Apr 17, 11:53 PM
    • 15,370 Posts
    • 125,208 Thanks
    JackieO
    Ahh, did you get Mr Darcy swimming in the lake?
    Originally posted by Slinky
    No ,but it wasn't for the want of looking,very helpful guides there and answered all of our questions
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 24th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    oldtractor
    went to Powis castle at the weekend. They use paper cups and bags for the food in the outdoor caf!. saves water they say. I think its false economy . no where near as nice as sitting down with a proper cup of coffee and cake on a plate.
    Trying for 10 a day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,136Posts Today

8,240Users online

Martin's Twitter