Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BrookesAndrew
    • By BrookesAndrew 20th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 311Posts
    • 110Thanks
    BrookesAndrew
    What is your 5k personal best?
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    What is your 5k personal best? 20th Apr 17 at 10:12 AM
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see what everyone's 5k personal best is? I am 21 and did one a few days ago and managed to get 22 minutes and 9 seconds. I must say I wasn't in a good way after, very short of breath and my legs still ache!

Andrew
Page 1
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 20th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    That's the correct way to be in after a 5k 5ks are horrible. Although if your legs are still aching days after the race you should probably do more stretching.

Mine is 20:39. Without knowing anything about your ability or fitness, if it was your first go at a 5k you've probably got room to improve upon that. Remember that even 10 seconds off your PB is a big achievement over such a short distance. Congratulations
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 15,123 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    Mine is currently 19:26 (Actually took 25 secs off my PB in one go to set that) but that is on a relatively hilly course with a 6 mile run to the parkrun before doing that time. I actually ran 19:11 as the last 5k of a 10k race I did last Sunday so hopefully will bring it down to sub 19 on a flat course.

Been running about 2 yrs now but currently marathon training for a marathon at the end of June. So doing lots of miles which has been making 5ks easier.

Edit: For completion 19:26 is an age grade score of 69.73 % for me.
    Last edited by indesisiv; 20-04-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,862 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    Just to raise the numbers a bit - PB is 32:54. I will be 50 next month and only started running at the end of the summer (and then was injured for the whole of Dec/Jan). After I recover from fixing the next thing that seems to have gone wrong (cataract) I hope to get back into training again as I was aiming for a 10k.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 20th Apr 17, 6:50 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:50 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:50 PM
    Mine is 33:57 outside, (28 something on a treadmill which doesn't really count).

This was 2 years ago when I was 45 and the wrong side of 17 stone after completing the C25K programme.

Was meant to do the Birmingham Half last year but due to circumstances had to drop out and haven't ran of quite along time but determined to get back into the swing of it soon
    • BrookesAndrew
    • By BrookesAndrew 21st Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    BrookesAndrew
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    That's the correct way to be in after a 5k 5ks are horrible. Although if your legs are still aching days after the race you should probably do more stretching.

Mine is 20:39. Without knowing anything about your ability or fitness, if it was your first go at a 5k you've probably got room to improve upon that. Remember that even 10 seconds off your PB is a big achievement over such a short distance. Congratulations
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    My previous PB was 23:49 but I actually set this while doing a 10k, it was the first 5k that I got this. This was the first time I actually set about doing 5k as quickly as I could.

Wow that is a great time. Very well done on that I would love to go under 20 minutes but definitely going to take some training!
    • BrookesAndrew
    • By BrookesAndrew 21st Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    BrookesAndrew
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    Mine is 33:57 outside, (28 something on a treadmill which doesn't really count).

This was 2 years ago when I was 45 and the wrong side of 17 stone after completing the C25K programme.

Was meant to do the Birmingham Half last year but due to circumstances had to drop out and haven't ran of quite along time but determined to get back into the swing of it soon
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Yeah you should get back into it. I find its just having the motivation to actually get up and go for the run. Once I am out running I love it! Half marathon would be amazing to do, would love to do one this year or next. Furthest I have ran is just over 7 miles and that hurt!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Apr 17, 1:55 PM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 15,123 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:55 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:55 PM
    @BrookesAndrew if you can run 7 miles then you would be able to run a half. Are you running everything flat out? It may be worth slowing down a bit in training and enjoying your miles more.
    To be fair I have only raced one half marathon and I was really struggling by mile 12 due to an injury (think the last mile was around 12 mins lol) but managed to come home in 1hr 33. One day I will race another one, but I just really dislike road races. I had been running about 9 months when I did that half.

You are half my age so should be able to get up to that distance.

Oh and 5k's raced properly are just hard work. I tend to ease back for the middle mile and recover. I've never actually raced one flat out due to the fact I run them as the middle of a 15 mile run, so know I still need to run 6 miles home afterwards. One day I will try and race one properly.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 21st Apr 17, 2:27 PM
    • 7,682 Posts
    • 25,107 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:27 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:27 PM
    It used to be 23 minutes, but that was a few years ago and I've fallen off the bandwagon since then. I'm doing my first Parkrun tomorrow and am cringing at the thought of how long it's going to take me
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 15,123 Thanks
    indesisiv
    That's a good effort fairy lights. Parkrun is great for getting back into it as everyone is so friendly. I've met loads of people who I train with now through parkrun, also see many others at races too.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 15,123 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Mine is currently 19:26
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Not true any more .... my 5k PB is now 19:14.
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 24th Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    spikyone
    Not true any more .... my 5k PB is now 19:14.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Congratulations on the improvement, great time!

I'm still trying to go sub-20. My times stagnated badly over the winter, until I went for a mid-week run a couple of weeks back and unintentionally ran negative splits at a decent pace for just over 4 miles. I hadn't been getting close to my parkrun PB (running 21:30-22:00 with a PB of 21:09) at that point but decided that I could probably beat it, so I targeted a sub-21 pace at my next parkrun. I ended up running 20:36, and both my parkruns since then have been under 21:00.
    To go back to Malthusian's point earlier, and the OP, that sub-21 pace had my lungs burning afterwards! I read recently that 5k is difficult because you're running as close as you can to flat out, and I guess that's why my times had suffered - I got into a mental rut of "that's about my pace", without realising that I was no longer pushing particularly hard to get a 21:30.
    I now have a solid plan for running a sub-20 parkrun; when I'm able to run at 20:30 for a couple of weeks, I'm going to force myself to run with the 20 minute pacer and just hang on for as long as possible. I know that won't be an easy or comfortable pace - but it will be satisfying when I see 19:xx in my results text message. And of course, the faster you run, the less time you feel the pain!

FWIW, my first parkrun almost three years ago was a 26:03 and I've always been rubbish at sport. If you want to go faster, training works
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 24th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7,682 Posts
    • 25,107 Thanks
    fairy lights
    So I did my first Parkrun - took me 35 minutes*. A lot slower than I was a few years ago but I'm still pretty happy with it. I made it round in one peace and can start working my way back to where I was.

*Edit: I hadn't eaten anything beforehand which was a mistake. Must get up in time to have breakfast next time.
    Last edited by fairy lights; 24-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    • BrookesAndrew
    • By BrookesAndrew 24th Apr 17, 11:53 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    BrookesAndrew
    Great to hear everyone is looking to go faster and faster. I was watching the London Marathon yesterday and just had to go for a run. Did a 10k in just over 50 minutes. No where near my best of just under 49 minutes! What is everyone like over 10k and do you prefer the 10k to a 5k?
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 24th Apr 17, 1:54 PM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 15,123 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I got into a mental rut of "that's about my pace", without realising that I was no longer pushing particularly hard to get a 21:30.
    Originally posted by spikyone
    I was stuck like that for a bit. Then I ran with my mate a couple of weeks ago on a club run and was just talking to him .. when I got back home and looked at the data we did the last 5k in 19:44. (10 secs faster than my PB at the time) so i realised that I could go quicker. So ran on the sat after and did 19:26.
    Then ran a 10k the other week and ended up running the last 5k in under 19:26 so realsied by accident that pace was possible. So went out and ran the 19:14 on the Sat.
    I am fairly sure that I am capable of going faster as my heart rate wasn't above my threshold pace for more than about 30 secs.

What is everyone like over 10k and do you prefer the 10k to a 5k?
    Originally posted by BrookesAndrew
    My current PB for 10k is 40:49 although that is on a mixed terrain course with over 500 feet of climbing. Hoping to go sub 40 in a couple of weeks on a road race that I am doing all being well.

I can't say that I really prefer either distance to be honest, I am not the best racer as I can't take the races seriously enough. For instance if someone goes past me I don't try and tag on with them I just let them go.
    • brat
    • By brat 24th Apr 17, 2:01 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    brat
    Great to hear everyone is looking to go faster and faster.
    Originally posted by BrookesAndrew
    Not sure I'll be able to go faster and faster! I'll be happy to maintain a level for a little while, and not fall off too much as I get older.
    I did a 19:40 parkrun last year when I was 58, but my best level 5k as part of a longer road run is 19:23. I cycle much more than run these days, so I can't see me improving on those times.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 24th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    MEM62
    About a week :-)
    • catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 24th Apr 17, 6:21 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    Mine is 26:26. I took a whole 38 seconds off this week! I'm training for a half marathon and I can really feel the long runs raising my fitness levels. Previous PB was earnt in the throes of training for a 10k. I like 10ks (all three that I've done!), but I think I may like HM distance more. We'll see!

My first parkrun 18 months ago was 35:27 and it was one of the hardest runs I've ever done - 5k on literally no training - I totally understand why people give up after just 1 run and I'm so glad I stuck it out.

I'm not particularly interested in faster and faster; I like to be outside (and alone!) and running is a great excuse. I find a huge motivation in having a race - any race - to train for.
    • catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 24th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    *Edit: I hadn't eaten anything beforehand which was a mistake. Must get up in time to have breakfast next time.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I usually run before breakfast, I find it agrees with me better and tastes a million times better when I get home!
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 24th Apr 17, 9:49 PM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 42,430 Thanks
    Barny1979
    34:54 for 5k and 1:09.52 for 10k :-(
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

662Posts Today

5,074Users online

Martin's Twitter