Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starlight123
    • By Starlight123 20th Apr 17, 10:00 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Starlight123
    Where to move to diverse outskirts London?
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:00 AM
    Where to move to diverse outskirts London? 20th Apr 17 at 10:00 AM
    Hiya, other half and I are looking to start a family, we are currently in SE London but looking to upsize and move out where we can get more for our money, still travel to city for our work, but also have diverse area to move into, being Asian/white couple we'd love to be in a nice mixed area where we can raise little uns. I'd love to be in forest hill but way too expensive. Any suggested areas would be great. Thanks
Page 2
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 20th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 14,758 Posts
    • 126,053 Thanks
    zagubov
    Sutton, Carshalton, Morden, all have affordable homes.But you have to check the areas out as there are some not-so-desirable parts.
    You could also try W Sutton and Sutton Common, which have a direct train to Wimbledon. Train from Sutton to Wimbledon takes 17 mins appx. There are two trains an hour off peak and a more frequent service during peak times. New Malden, Old Malden, very villagey.

Check train times here:
    http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/

Have a look at crime in an area here:
    http://www.police.uk/

Area info available:
    http://www.upmystreet.com/
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Soundgirlrocks
    • By Soundgirlrocks 20th Apr 17, 5:27 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    Soundgirlrocks
    Being in Croydon I tend to go Bromley fair bit, it is diverse but I'm not sure about it tbh. OH family are in Croydon so I guess support network but I'm finding Croydon can be somewhat a dive in parts and goodness knows when Westfield will happen(!) that was reason I bought my flat here.....along with good links. We did look for houses last year but perhaps I'm too fussy plus the schools don't seem that great. I just want our next move as joint purchase to be ideally last one for good 7-10yrs. I like Croydon at times but do feel when I go into town it's a deep dive!

I'm not keen on bexleyheath/penge/abbey wood, feel quite rough to me. I did think Brighton or hove but that feels waaay too far. I quite like being a London chick and having it in my fingertips.
    Originally posted by Starlight123
    If you are in Croydon have you looked at Addiscombe? You already know the transport advantages and Addiscombe have a lovely village feel to it, or come a little fourth over towards Crystal Palace, I'm on Woodside and I love it. Or Shirley?

There is This
    Or
    This near the country park
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    • 9,520 Posts
    • 12,006 Thanks
    hazyjo
    The BNP stood candidates in all the Eltham wards at the last council election in 2014.

http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/elections2014
    Originally posted by elverson
    And surely in other areas in local and general elections - some areas predominantly white, some very culturally diverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party_election_results
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • LannieDuck
    • By LannieDuck 20th Apr 17, 6:51 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 6,978 Thanks
    LannieDuck
    Don't know if the person who suggested Slough was joking or not, but I've just moved nearby and would quite seriously suggest the surrounding area as a good option. There are some very nice bits, and Slough itself doesn't deserve it's reputation.

Plus Crossrail is coming out this way next year, and house prices are likely to be on their way up as a result...
    Last edited by LannieDuck; 20-04-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
    • Starlight123
    • By Starlight123 20th Apr 17, 8:21 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Starlight123
    Hi I know addiscombe well but do feel it's going bit downhill plus not many great schools nearby so would prefer area with better school performance. Shirley is lovely but very expensive! Funnily enough I did see a few houses over in northway rd last year but lost out but realised not what we wanted. I tend to look at cr0 and cr2 on Rightmove but not much catching me at mo plus OH isn't as keen to stay in area, I can understand at times as there are rough parts. Slough might be option so perhaps we will visit there. I know reading is on cross rail line and that's going up in price so possible.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 20th Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    robatwork
    I presume you haven't been to many areas of London on your travels?
    All of London is now "diverse" - I can't think of any pockets of whatever the opposite is.

Not that it's particularly relevant - you may find the most antagonistic neighbours are in areas that are particularly high in multiculturalism. The UKIP and BNP thrive in some very mixed areas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,476Posts Today

6,397Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin