Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 20th Apr 17, 9:55 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    philmac750
    No disabled access to machine - blue badge not exempt
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:55 AM
    No disabled access to machine - blue badge not exempt 20th Apr 17 at 9:55 AM
    Private land, there is space for 3 cars, they've stuck a pay and dsiplay machine that is behind 3 large rocks and there is also a Kerb with no ramp. There is no lighting either, this is a flood relief lake used by dog walkers, biird watchers, walkers. How can they state Blue Badge not exempt, when there is no disabled acces to get to the machine ? and no illumination as they also state 24 hour car park. They also state park in the marked bays - there are no white lines and no disabled space. I know it's private land, but surely they must provide disabled access and a light ?
Page 1
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 20th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    Johnersh
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    1. Explain to site owner to get ticket rescinded. Note failure to make reasonable adjustments as required by equalities act.
    2. Explain to ppc to get ticket rescinded / appeal (if so required). See above.
    3. Invite ppc to withdraw ticket and discontinue any debt collection once they've threatened potential court action or you will institute proceedings under equalities act.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 20th Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    Have you been ticketed at this site?
    I would skip 1 to start with, and when the ppc rejects go to the landowner with a breach of the E.A
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 20th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 20,586 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    Do you have a ticket, or is this a mini-rant? You don't need to convince us about the myriad of hurdles put in the way of both able and disabled people by PPCs to trip them up - and charge them £100 for the pleasure.

If you haven't got a ticket, but you want to make a noise, the following cages need rattling:

The landowner
    Local press
    Local council
    Local councillors
    Local MP
    Andrew Jones MP (Dept of Transport)
    Marcus Jones MP (Dept for Communities and Local Government)
    Facebook page of the facility (if they have one)
    Twitter feed (if they have one)
    TripAdvisor (if there is related review file)

Not enough people make enough noise in the right places.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 20-04-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 20th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 7,148 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    How can they state Blue Badge not exempt,
    Originally posted by philmac750
    Quite easily - The Blue Badge has no validity on private property. It would be wise to check the handbook that came with your badge.

However, the Equality Act does apply here - and that applies to all disabled people requiring an appropriate reasonable adjustment, regardless of any badge. So if you are unable access the pay machine due to its poor placement/obstruction, then under the Act, they have to recognise that fact.

Legal provision for smaller car parks is a confusing one - Clear requirements are only laid-down for larger car parks - i.e. 50+ spaces, smaller ones are subject to more laissez-faire guidelines and planning conditions. Simply being a visitor won't trigger all of the landlords duties/requirements - however your local EHRC/disability rights groups might be helpful in bringing a complaint or pressure to bear to improve things.
    Last edited by pogofish; 20-04-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 20th Apr 17, 12:21 PM
    • 39,250 Posts
    • 78,412 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:21 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:21 PM
    As above, if you haven't received a ticket, complain to the bodies mentioned above, plus the DVLA and BPA (if the parking scammers are BPA members.)
    This is a clear breach of the EA 2010 and needs to be highlighted.

If you have received a ticket, do all the above without giving away the driver's identity. In addition, tell us the name of the parking company and then appeal using the process detailed in the Sticky thread for NEWBIES.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 20th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 7,148 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    Also, does this relate to your other thread in any way?

If so, then you need to get these threads merged so all the relevant facts are together in one place in order to get you the best help and advice.
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 20th Apr 17, 12:30 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    philmac750
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:30 PM
    other thread
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:30 PM
    It's the same car park, but the otehr thread is about getting a ticket when their machine isn't accepting their stated acceptable coins. This blue badge thread isn't related to getting a ticket. I didn;t have my blind son with at the time I got the ticket(on the other thread). Excel Parking services is the PPC - the land owner is Peele holdings - I've been walking dogs there for 15 years without issue until they put a meter in on a dead end piece of tarmac that can take 3 cars.

But happy to amalgamate the 2 threads if you think thats better.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 20th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 7,148 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    No, keep them apart as this has no bearing on the ticket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,491Posts Today

8,508Users online

Martin's Twitter