Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 20th Apr 17, 9:49 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    philmac750
    Firm using old machines - they don't take 10p or 5p coins
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:49 AM
    Firm using old machines - they don't take 10p or 5p coins 20th Apr 17 at 9:49 AM
    just wondering what the situation is where on private land, the company has installed machines, that do not take legal tender of 5p and 10p coins, even though their signs state they do. Every 10p coin just drops straight through. After a discussion with their meter chap last night, he states the machine is working correctly, I say I cannot buy a ticket with legal tender and the machine is faulty. I drove off and parked somewhere else, but last week I got an on screen PCN, same machine, same issue. It wouldn't take the coins, so I left a not on dash + the coins I had tried to use. From reading threads here, ignore the PCN (exel parking operate these machines I think) or appeal with their online "login" system ? Are they not legally required to upgrade these machines to take the 10p and 5p that have been in use for years ? and what about the new £1. There are several people (pensioners, dog walkers etc..) that have been caught by this situation. I even demonstrated the 10p's dropping out of the machine to the meter chap. he said he'd didn't know the legal aspects of his job, just that he had to check and put PCN's where people didn;t have a ticket. I said, I can't buy a ticket and round we went to the beginning again.
Page 1
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    lovinituk
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    Surely if you can't buy a ticket you just don't park there?!
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others wonít so you may live the rest of your life like others canít"
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 20th Apr 17, 10:16 AM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 4,911 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:16 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:16 AM
    The legal tender thing is a red herring, shops/retailers etc can refuse/accept whatever payment they choose.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 20th Apr 17, 10:17 AM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 4,565 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:17 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:17 AM
    What chance they won't accept the new £1 coins come October, when the old ones cease to be legal tender?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 20th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    It does seem a bit strange that in order to park, you can't physically do what the car park company states you must do.

Is nobody else cynical in thinking that this could be a deliberate ploy to catch people out?
    • yotmon
    • By yotmon 20th Apr 17, 10:43 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    yotmon
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:43 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:43 AM
    It does seem a bit strange that in order to park, you can't physically do what the car park company states you must do.

Is nobody else cynical in thinking that this could be a deliberate ploy to catch people out?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    It is quite possible, but as you recognise that fact then why park there when it sounds as though alternative parking is close by.

It's not the forum members, but a small claims judge that you need to convince if the case is taken to court.

Let them lose trade with their out of date meters and just go elsewhere.
    Last edited by yotmon; 20-04-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 20th Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 12,174 Posts
    • 18,592 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    Was this at The Peel Centre?
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 20th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    philmac750
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    Peel Centre
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    No it was in Wakefield, Calder Park near the Swan and Cygnet, and there is nowhere else to park. I might add there are only 3 spaces max with no white lines or marked bays. So come October, they won;t be upgrading the machines either I'm guessing, and so you will only be able to buy a ticket with 20p or 50p coins, though they state 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, and £1 coins as accepted.
    Last edited by philmac750; 20-04-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 20th Apr 17, 12:06 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    philmac750
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:06 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:06 PM
    But if they state on the car park notice that they accept 5p and 10p coins, and the machine does not take them ? Surely the machine is deemed faulty ? Video the coins, inserting into machine, dropping out ? or just ignore the PCN ?
    Last edited by philmac750; 20-04-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 20th Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    lovinituk
    But if they state on the car park notice that they accept 5p and 10p coins, and the machine does not take them ? Surely the machine is deemed faulty ?
    Originally posted by philmac750
    But you had an alternative to either go and get other denomination coins that it did accept or park elsewhere, no? Why would you risk a ticket?

I have no support for private parking cowboys whatsoever but you did have alternatives in this case by the sounds of it.
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others wonít so you may live the rest of your life like others canít"
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 20th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    philmac750
    what other denomination ? how would I know which ones work and which don't at the point of buying the ticket - I can read their sign which states 5p, 10p , 20p, 50p and £1 are all accepted. But clearly some of these are not accepted at all.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 20th Apr 17, 3:31 PM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    lovinituk
    what other denomination ? how would I know which ones work and which don't at the point of buying the ticket - I can read their sign which states 5p, 10p , 20p, 50p and £1 are all accepted. But clearly some of these are not accepted at all.
    Originally posted by philmac750
    Still leaves the option to park elsewhere like you did the second time, right?

Did you check other cars to see if they had tickets?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 21st Apr 17, 8:25 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    It is quite possible, but as you recognise that fact then why park there when it sounds as though alternative parking is close by.
    Originally posted by yotmon
    There's very little choice in my town!!!

But you had an alternative to either go and get other denomination coins
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    Oh yes and find a ticket already on my windscreen by the time I'd convinced a shopkeeper to give me change without buying something?
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 10:18 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Oh yes and find a ticket already on my windscreen by the time I'd convinced a shopkeeper to give me change without buying something?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Don't leave it in the car park while finding the right change, simples!!

I'm playing devils advocate here. The OP had alternatives. The most sensible option would have been to park elsewhere which they did on another occassion.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 21st Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 6,280 Posts
    • 5,106 Thanks
    The Deep
    Surely if you can't buy a ticket you just don't park there?!

How does that work? You normally shop at Tesco, but the machines are not accepting coin of the realm. Do you therefore shop at Waitrose, or Morrisons?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    lovinituk
    How does that work? You normally shop at Tesco, but the machines are not accepting coin of the realm. Do you therefore shop at Waitrose, or Morrisons?
    Originally posted by The Deep
    As I said, I'm playing devils advocate. The OP said it didn't take 5 and 10p so it sounds like it might take others. Were there tickets on other cars? If the machine was completely broken and no one could buy a ticket then that's a different matter altogether. It doesn't sound like this is the case though as they chose to park somewhere else the second time.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 38,518 Posts
    • 76,952 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    The important thing here is to appeal the PCN as detailed in the NEWBIES sticky thread at the appropriate time, also detailed in the NEWBIES, using the appropriate template from the NEWBIES.
    There are two templates but I can't advise you which one to use as you haven't told us the name of the parking company.

The legal tender argument is a complete red herring. Legal tender has a very specific meaning in law, and not every coin, note, or form of payment is classed as legal tender. Do you know which ones are and aren't? I don't, but it doesn't matter.
    Once you found you couldn't pay for parking you should have left.

You now need to fight the PCN using legal arguments which you will find in the NEWBIES. Do not pay, do NOT ignore, do not reveal who was driving, do not appeal a windscreen ticket too soon, but do not miss the appeal deadline either.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 21st Apr 17, 11:09 AM
    • 6,280 Posts
    • 5,106 Thanks
    The Deep
    The legal tender argument is a complete red herring.

Seems clear enough to me

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 21st Apr 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    unforeseen
    The legal tender argument is a complete red herring.

Seems clear enough to me

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Yes, totally clear. As you are paying beforehand then you are paying for a service. You have not incurred a debt at this point.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Apr 17, 12:37 PM
    • 12,174 Posts
    • 18,592 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    As I said, I'm playing devils advocate. The OP said it didn't take 5 and 10p so it sounds like it might take others. Were there tickets on other cars? If the machine was completely broken and no one could buy a ticket then that's a different matter altogether. It doesn't sound like this is the case though as they chose to park somewhere else the second time.
    How does this help the OP with their PCN problem?
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,652Posts Today

8,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin